Spanish Seafarer looking for the first deck cadet job

Hello everyone,

I am new here. Fantastic forum by the way. As the title say, I am from Spain, just finished my Maritime College studies to work at Merchant Marine.

The problem I’m facing now is to find the 1st job on board, which It is being quiet difficult for now. It seems that the fact of being spanish is an impediment to get into some companies.

I have sent my CV to several companies but for now I have not received any answer. I am 24 years old btw and got some STCW certificates such as ARPA, ECDIS, basic safety training, GMDSS, etc.

What can I do? Any advice would be appreciated.

Should I change the strategy of applying for jobs in orden to get better results?

Thanks a lot in advance and greetings from the spanish land.

Where have been applying so far agencies or direct with companies?
Also what certificates do you still need to get?

Your best resource will be to see what your classmates are doing and apply to the same companies. You should have a pretty good idea where your classmates and those who’ve graduated before you have ended up.

1 Like

Some of the larger Ship Management companies, such as V Ship, Wallems, OSM, AngloEastern, Willhelmsen, Thome, Schulte etc. are always looking for young and ambitious people of any nationality:
Here is the top ten (in 2018):
https://lloydslist.maritimeintelligence.informa.com/LL1124925/Top-10-shipmanagers-2018