Songs about the Sea and Sailors

Jerry Garcia & David Grisman – Off To Sea Once More</br>

A great sea shanty worth a listen.</br>

<object width=“340” height="285]<param name=“movie” value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PfqXlbe7zSY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1]</param><param name=“allowFullScreen” value="true]</param><param name=“allowscriptaccess” value="always]</param><embed src=“http://www.youtube.com/v/PfqXlbe7zSY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” allowscriptaccess=“always” allowfullscreen=“true” width=“340” height="285]</embed></object>
</br>

Cheers,
BlueNose

Men, men, men, by Martin Mull
(Group of men singing in the background)

Men, men, men, men,

Men, men, men, men...

It’s great to be on a ship with men

And sail across the sea-o,

We don't know where we'll land or when, 

But it's great to be with men. 

(It's great to be with men)

'Cause men can sweat and men can stink

And no one seems to care-o,

We'll throw the dishes in the sink 

And clog the drain with hair-o

(And clog the drain with hair-o)

Men, men, men,

It's a ship all filled with men,

So batten down the ladies' room, 

There's no one here but men!

Men, men, men, men

Men, men, men, men...

There’s men above and men below

And men down in the galley, 

There's Butch and Spike and Buzz and Biff 

And one guy we call Sally!

(and one guy we call Sally!)

Men, men, men,

You'll never have to lift the seat, 

Men, men, men, men

Men, men, men, men...

We’re men and friends until the end

And none of us are sissies,

At night we sleep in separate beds 

And blow each other kissies!  

(and blow each other kissies!)

Men, men, men,

So throw your rubbers overboard, 

Amen (pronounced “Ahhhhh, men!”)
Martin Mull

“Ocean Size” by Jane’s Addiction
"Blurry" by Puddle of Mudd
"My Wave" by Soundgarden
"I am Viking" by Yngwie Malmsteen
"Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by Iron Maiden
"Run Silent, Run Deep" by Iron Maiden
"Sea of Madness" by Iron Maiden
… anything by Jimmy Buffet, Beach Boys, or Enya DOES NOT COUNT!
TOO OBVIOUS, LAME, AND OVERPLAYED.

Nautical-themed in general, from my iPod, and in no particular order:

1. The Waterboys’ <strong>Fisherman’s Blue’s</strong>, off the record of the same name.
  2. <strong>Message In A Bottle </strong>by The Police, off Regatta De Blanc.
  3. From the Mighty Zep I pick <strong>Down By The Seaside,</strong> off Physical Graffitti.
  4. Midnight Oil’s <strong>Underwater</strong>, off Breathe. This was a surf video staple back in the 90’s. They also do a noteworthy cover of The Dead’s <strong>Wharf Rat</strong>, off the Deadicated compilation.
  5. Bad Co.‘s <strong>Seagull</strong>. Good as it is, though, I think Joe Bonamassa’s cover (off Sloe Gin) may be the definitive version. They don’t call him Smokin’ Joe Bonamassa for nothing! His various live covers of ZZ Top’s <strong>Just Got Paid </strong>are the bomb, and what sailor worth his rum can’t relate to a song like that?
  6. <strong>Ocean Size </strong>by Jane’s Addiction, off Nothing’s Shocking.
  7. World Party’s <strong>Ship Of Fools</strong>, off Private Revolution.
  8. Aerosmith’s <strong>Seasons Of Wither</strong>, off Get Your Wings. The “sailing at midnight” reference is brief, but it’s still one of the best and most under-rated songs they ever cut.
  9. Black Sabbath’s <strong>Children Of TheSea</strong>, off Heaven And Hell. One of RJD’s finest moments…
  10. Former Minuteman Mike Watt’s <strong>Contemplating The Engine Room</strong>, the entire record.
  11. The Pogues’ <strong>Navigator</strong>, off Rum, Sodomy And The Lash. It’s Irish, it’s traditional, what’s not to like?
  12. The Cult’s <strong>Electric Ocean</strong>, off Electric.

Dude I’m in love with your iPod… Especially Bonamassa.

//youtu.be/kfJZQNF5CDc

[B] [/B]

[B]"Jerry Garcia & David Grisman – Off To Sea Once More" Nice find Bluenose

[/B]

Looks like Isle of Wight or maybe Stembridge, early 70’s before that 3 pack a day habit caught up with Plant!!

Don’t forget:

Split Enz “Six Months in a Leaky Boat”

The Pogues “Lorelei”

Captain Anonymous, if you’re into instrumental surf music anything by SF’s <strong>The Mermen </strong>is pretty cool. Try <strong>Between I & Thou </strong>off A Glorious Lethal Euphoria.
Also, <strong>The Aquavelvets</strong>, especially the Surf Mania and Radio Waves discs.

1. The Cult’s <strong>Electric Ocean</strong>, off Electric.
    oh hell yah! how could I forgotten that one? (digging thru cassette collection, dusting off tape deck…)
  2. Black Sabbath’s <strong>Children Of TheSea</strong>, off Heaven And Hell. One of RJD’s finest moments…
    (digging thru closet, seeing if I still own 8-track player…)
    Thanks for those Capt. Jack! YOU ROCK!

Mariners Revenge by The Decemberists

Surf! Check out <strong>Satan’s Pilgrims</strong> for some Portland, OR style surf music

The entire “My Beach” album by the “Surf Punks”.

Brandy - Looking Glass
Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
and the one going through my head now “Call for the Captain ashore to let me go home” - (Three days left)

In a case of blatant self-promotion:
“Touch Your Hand”, by D Squared, available on Amazon.com.

Atreyu - Lead Sails (And A Paper Anchor)

Chevelle - Saferwaters

In Flames - Swim

Symphony X - The Odyssey

Sure these songs aren’t really about sailors, on songs about being on the high seas, but they mention things about the sea and such, plus they are all awesome songs (in my mind)!!!

Pogues Streams of Whiskey Flogging Molly Seven Deadly Sins Already mentioned but a personal favorite Drop Kick Murphys Shipping up to Boston and a great chantey The Mingualy Boat Song

<embed width=“425” height=“350” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” id=“VideoPlayback” quality=“high” pluginspage=“http://macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer” wmode=“transparent” src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cBocLVML8JE]</embed>

<span class="large]The Standells - Dirty Water (also done by Drop Kick Murphys)</span>

<embed width=“425” height=“350” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” id=“VideoPlayback” quality=“high” pluginspage=“http://macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer” wmode=“transparent” src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MCsYDZ2M04M]</embed>
<strong>The Beatles: Yellow Submarine </strong>

RADAR LOVE-------- Golden Earing