SOLAS FRC question

Re Suez Canal … pilots & Co climb aboard at 0 speed at Port Said and Suez and get off at almost 0 speed at the other end via the pilot ladder. No need for FRC/Bs . Have you ever been to Port Said or Suez?

Have YOU ever been through the Suez Canal on a ship??
Line boats (and Suez light, if you don’t have an approved one) are supplied by the Suez Canal Authorities. (with crew and for a price)

No, I have been at Suez and Port Said many times but never been lifted aboard by a passing ship on a line boat. I always joined by the pilot ladder.

That is a very good point. According to Solas you have to be able to launch the rescue boat in not more than 5 minutes, I guess it could be argued that you could use the FRC for other things as long as the FRC could still get back to the ship within 5 minutes if there was an emergency.

According IMO a FRC (or FRB) is no means of rescue and just put on ships for show. You don’t have to train with them and PSC just have to note that a FRC (or FRB) is available aboard. It is a crazy world.

SOLAS also says it has to be available for “immediate use” at all times. I would highly recommend against using anything on your Safety Equipment Certificate for anything other than it’s designated purpose. There is also the question of one’s SMS. Using any LSA for anything other than it’s designated purpose could also be a serious if not major ISM Non Conformity.

1 Like

Factually inaccurate

All listed LSA has maintenance requirements. Not doing the required maintenance will prevent a vessel from passing a class annual survey and the Safety Equipment Certificate from being endorsed. Without an endorsed certificate (especially for not conducting LSA Maintenance) a vessel will almost assuredly be detained in virtually every PSC regime in the world.

No. An FRC is not an LSA as per IMO/SOLAS regulations. Don’t ask me what an FRC really is, but it is not an LSA.

No I would not ask you, since you obviously have no idea and couldn’t be bothered to find out before posting rubbish.

To save you the effort, here is DNV GL’s Guidelines for Lifeboats and Rescue Boat:

Guidelines for Lifeboats and Rescue Boats - Rules and …

](https://rules.dnvgl.com/docs/pdf/gl/maritimerules2016Jan/gl_i-3-4_e.pdf)

Section 10 contains Rules for Rescue Boats and Fast Rescue Crafts (FRCs)

1 Like

If FRC is not LSA than why is it addressed in the LSA Code and why is FRC referenced in SOLAS Ch. III?

As far as I am concerned the IMO has decided that FRBs are not means of rescue. I explain it at my website but when I link to it here, my post is removed.
PS With all respect to DNV, it is not IMO.

That website is just an impenetrable wall of text that fails to form a cohesive argument for anything. I actually tried reading your page on FRCs, in a good faith if self destructive attempt at understanding your thoughts on the matter. My only takeaway was a headache.

It is okay that you don’t think I know what I’m talking about. It actually makes me kind of happy. Most of what I have to say about FRCs is subjective anyway, and the concrete basis for my opinion is easy enough to lay out if someone wants to go there. I think it’s OK to quote your own website, just don’t post links without providing some context (that’s called spamming). If you would like to argue your point in clear language, using short and relevant quotes from any source (including your own), I’m willing to listen.

Until then, I’ll go ahead and assume that your opinions about FRCs are based on the same level of personal experience as your opinions on nuclear weapons.

No, My website is easy to understand and I put my 2020 photo on top of it! Will update it soon, 2021. If anyone does not agree with what I say and say so, I reply. I and my findings are open to review.
Re FRCs I describe my findings at my website. I have operated plenty ships with FRCs and a long time ago on of my ships was stopped in Spain. The FRC was not in order. US$ 10 000:- fine. Could we discuss it? No, Pay!!! What did I do? I did the best! Curious? Ask me!

Anders “Alex Jones” Bjorkman bringing the spicy :fire: taeks for the discriminating maritime professional.

2 Likes

No, I just work for good safety at sea since 1971. What do you do Slick_cam1?

SOLAS disagrees with you. LSA is literally the title of the SOLAS chapter covering FRCs. Might I suggest you update your website and opinion with the actual SOLAS source documentation:

SOLAS Chapter III LIFE-SAVING APPLIANCES and ARRANGEMENTS
Part B Requirements for Ships and Life-Saving Appliances
Regulation 20 Paragraph 11 : Maintenance, thorough examination, operation testing, overhaul and repair of lifeboats, rescue boats, and fast rescue boats, launching appliances, and release gear

2 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking as I read it.

9 posts were split to a new topic: Fast Rescue Craft / Rescue Craft / MOB boats / Designated Rescue Boats

Making way is the norm on any Offshore Support vessel i have been on and seen, unless at anchor that is, speed of around 5 or 6 knots is not a problem if the vessel is set up correctly and crew are well drilled in the procedure.

A post was split to a new topic: Requirements for a Rescue-Boat/MOB boat for cargo vessels