So the President goes to a major American port to make a speech

They might listen if it involved some scandalous text messages?

Maybe! Sure has Weiner trying to put out fires doesn’t it?!?

Sorry Ccaptain and other obamass supporters. I cannot think of ONE subject that obamass and his lackeys have dealt with in an honorable or a knowledgeable fashion. Phoney scandels do not involve dead Americans. The assclown is a disgrace and should be impeached by our gonadless congress.

[QUOTE=seadog6608;115845]Sorry Ccaptain and other obamass supporters. I cannot think of ONE subject that obamass and his lackeys have dealt with in an honorable or a knowledgeable fashion. Phoney scandels do not involve dead Americans. The assclown is a disgrace and should be impeached by our gonadless congress.[/QUOTE]

There, there…did that make you feel better now?

It would be nice to see our government put country first and not just keep putting party first! Both party’s suck just some more than others:-)

Preach Bruddah! Meanwhile, we need a minor miracle just to get the hell out of Lake Washington. Send lawyers, guns, and money. And a steering gear expert…

[QUOTE=catherder;115872]send lawyers, guns, and money. And a steering gear expert…[/QUOTE]

can’t find any, best I can do is a nasty chimp…that should be about the same as half a dozen civil service port engineers I would imagine…

//youtu.be/SQHKlxKjyfM

if this chimp helps, I’ll look to see if I can scrape up a monkey doing something even nastier than this…I won’t quit until I manage to find one that can’t do the job!

sorry in advance…

Now Now, we should not be blaming the President for this speech. The person that we should blame is whomever programed his Teleprompter as we all know how he can get lost when he has to speak without one.

[QUOTE=rshrew;115833]They might listen if it involved some scandalous text messages?[/QUOTE]

Scandals don’t exist in the government, they are all phony, remember?

[QUOTE=“Tugs;115881”]Now Now, we should not be blaming the President for this speech. The person that we should blame is whomever programed his Teleprompter as we all know how he can get lost when he has to speak without one.[/QUOTE]

Don’t blame the innocent programmer. It’s the speech writer’s fault…

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;115960]Don’t blame the innocent programmer. It’s the speech writer’s fault…[/QUOTE]

No, I say it is Obama’s fault for failing to get even the slightest bit educated as to what a merchant marine is and what types of ships it is composed of. As has been proven in war after war, the US Merchant Marine is the fifth branch which no other branches can function without the service of which in any foreign conflict. He should have at least one close adviser on his staff who is very aware of the role any maritime industry plays in any nation’s economy and defense and that adviser should have given the President a simple rudimentary education as to what commercial ships are, what they do, what types there are and most importantly, how many are American and under his direct orders as CINC. Being from Chicago IS NOT AN EXCUSE! THERE IS NO EXCUSE WHEN THE NATION’S DEFENSE IS IN THE EQUATION!

READING A SCRIPT ON A TELEPROMPTER IS NOT BEING IN COMMAND! I AM SICKENED AT THIS AND EVEN THE MORE SO AS HE IS THE MAN I VOTED FOR BUT I CAN SAY MOST EMPHATICALLY THAT I TRULY DO NOT BELIEVE ANYONE ELSE WHO HAS RUN FOR THE OFFICE IN THE PAST TWO TERMS HAS HAD ANY MORE CARING THAN OBAMA AND IN FACT McCAIN WANTS TO DISMANTLE WHAT’S LEFT BY KILLING THE JONES ACT! CAN YOU IMAGINE A NAVY MAN WANTING TO KILL THE MERCHANT MARINE? STAGGERING TO EVEN CONTEMPLATE! AND I BELIEVE ROMNEY WOULD HAVE SOLD THE WHOLE THING TO THE CHINESE, LOCK, STOCK AND BARREL! THIS IS A MASSIVE SYSTEMIC FAILURE PERVADING OUR ENTIRE NATION’S LEADERSHIP! I FEAR IT WILL ONLY GET WORSE AS TIME GOES ON…THIS HAS BEEN THE PATTERN REPEATED THROUGHOUT OUR NATION’S HISTORY UNTIL THERE IS A MAJOR WAR AND SUDDENLY EVERYBODY IS CRYING WHY DON’T WE HAVE ANY SHIPS OR MEN TO MAN THEM?

[ATTACH]3594[/ATTACH]

Hell, if you voted for Obama twice you may like this ticket too.

Oh shit we’re really screws if that happens.

Hard to believe he got into office again. Detroit is the perfect example of the direction this country is headed. Take note of it’s policies, leaders, scandals, and the third world condition of the city. Obama supports these crippling idiotic policies, he said so himself. He should be impeached for the scandals. Hell, Nixon gets boned for spying on the other party, yet this guy can have the IRS discriminating against its own people and nothing happens.

[QUOTE=Lone_Star;116044]Hard to believe he got into office again. Detroit is the perfect example of the direction this country is headed. Take note of it’s policies, leaders, scandals, and the third world condition of the city. Obama supports these crippling idiotic policies, he said so himself. He should be impeached for the scandals. Hell, Nixon gets boned for spying on the other party, yet this guy can have the IRS discriminating against its own people and nothing happens.[/QUOTE]

There, there…did that make you feel better now?

Shit, being from Chicago should make him aware of the Glakes trade…

It’s almost as if he wants to see us fade away. Look at his MarAd choices.

I will say my piece, receive comments and respectfully bow out of this thread. It is no jab to any of my fellow mariners whom disagree, I however feel it is important to get these thoughts out…just my two cents. The fabric of this once great nation has changed…and to me this is sad. We as citizens…at least those who were born as such will never know the United States of America for which she stood so proudly as the example of righteousness and opportunity for all. We as a nation have yeilded to a society which embraces radical individualism, but at the same time, radical egalitarianism. This will simply not work and is eroding the core principals that our founding fathers’ worked so hard to preserve.

[QUOTE=U.S. Marine (ret);116069]I will say my piece, receive comments and respectfully bow out of this thread. It is no jab to any of my fellow mariners whom disagree, I however feel it is important to get these thoughts out…just my two cents. The fabric of this once great nation has changed…and to me this is sad. We as citizens…at least those who were born as such will never know the United States of America for which she stood so proudly as the example of righteousness and opportunity for all. We as a nation have yeilded to a society which embraces radical individualism, but at the same time, radical egalitarianism. This will simply not work and is eroding the core principals that our founding fathers’ worked so hard to preserve.[/QUOTE]

Well Said!

well I guess all hope is not lost. Rep. Duncan Hunter came out with a very well worded op/ed on the importance of the Jones Act two days ago.

[B][/B]Lawmaker Defends ‘Essential’ U.S. Shipping Law

By Editorial On July 31, 2013

By Rep. Duncan Hunter

The maritime industry has been a pillar of the economy for as long as shipping vessels have delivered goods and commodities to American shores. In no small part, the Jones Act has been the engine driving this success for nearly a century, requiring that any ship carrying cargo between two ports in the U.S. be American-built, owned and crewed.

Regrettably, not everyone views the Jones Act this way.

For reasons that are due to either a lack of understanding or appreciation for the U.S. maritime industry, the Jones Act is being misidentified once again as an impediment to job creation and even lower product costs.

Joe Petrowski, CEO of Gulf Oil, took the latest shot in what’s become a recurring barrage of attacks against the act, suggesting that repealing the law would reduce gasoline prices by as much as 30 cents a gallon.

In other words, using foreign carriers to replace U.S. ships would result in lower gas prices, according to Mr. Petrowski.

That presumption is nothing more than wishful thinking. There are many reasonable and relevant proposals to lower gas prices for American families and secure greater energy independence, but repealing the Jones Act is not one of them.

To refute the claim that the act contributes to higher gas prices, it’s necessary to emphasize that the cost for moving a gallon of gasoline on a U.S. ship is less than one penny-per-gallon, on average.

At present, nearly 90 percent of the cost of gasoline is driven by three things: the price of crude oil, refining and taxes. The remaining 10 percent is attributed to marketing, distribution and retailing, leaving room, however big or small, for profit.

Overall, the maritime cost is marginal and rarely considered a factor in gasoline prices. It is also a general rule that when the price of crude oil increases, as it has recently, so does the price of gasoline.

The reality is that the Jones Act, despite claims to the contrary, has little to do with price fluctuations at the pump.

Calls for its repeal have long been based on misleading presumptions and incomplete information, much of it originating from industries in direct competition with the U.S. maritime industry.

As if smelling blood in the water, these competing interests perpetually make the case for replacing U.S. workers and vessels with foreign companies and ships to facilitate trade within our borders—an unprecedented dynamic that would put foreign actors in direct control of domestic commerce.

[U][B]The Jones Act, for all its value in protecting American jobs and sustaining U.S. maritime capability and strength, delivers benefits in other arenas too, including national security.

From supplementing global defense sealift capability to revitalizing elements of a waning industrial base, the U.S. maritime industry is a security and economic asset kept strong and healthy by the Jones Act.

America’s economic future depends on a strong maritime industry as much as it depends on domestic energy production and the success of other notable industries that are inextricably linked to its success.

As unfortunate as attempts to undermine the U.S. maritime industry may be, there must be no mistaking the relevance and capability of vessels built in American shipyards and operated by American workers.

The Jones Act has been a faithful defender of U.S. maritime capability for more than a century.

No different than the last 100 years, the Jones Act is essential to America’s national security and economic future.[/B][/u]

—Rep. Duncan Hunter is chairman of the House Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation.

This editorial originally appeared on CNBC and is republished here with permission.

No cynic here this time…I think each and everyone of us here should send a message to Representative Hunter thanking him for seeing reality and caring enough to give a shit for the American Maritime Industry!

I tried, you need to enter a zip code to make sure you are one of his constituents as he his supposedly not allowed to email back people who aren’t.