Small cruise ship pay

Greetings out there, I’ve been a reader for a long time and now I’ve decided to join the fun. Actually being unemployed has given me the time to figure out how to use my computer. I was curious if anyone knew about what cruise companys like American cruise lines pays for officers? I have a 1600gt near coastal masters license but I know very little about the cruise industry and am not sure if It’s worth looking into. Thanks

1 Like

Since all these small passenger vessels are under 100 tons, the pool of people who work their way up to the bridge also hold 100ton licenses. This has created a group of officers who are basically trapped in that sector of the maritime industry. So many are in this trap that it has in effect created a surplus of personnel with a corresponding downward pressure in wages and benefits. Since Cruise West’s bankruptcy last year, I imagine that there is a bigger surplus of mates and masters than would be the usual case and more competition for available positions.

I cannot say what pay for masters on these ships is, but I remember being told once that $300/day is a ceiling that most of these companies hold to. Also, the hours are long but in talking with some officers who work on these vessels, the work is gratifying and many of these officers have made a conscious choice to stay on small passenger vessels for their seafaring career.

I hate to say it, but the small cruise ship market (in the USA) seems like a dead-end.

In 2008 we saw the failure of both Majestic America Lines (had 8 or 9 passenger cruise vessels) and RiverBarge (one vessel on the Miss & Ohio Rivers).

I worked for MAL and I was sad to see the company fail, but there were MAJOR management issues going on there.

Late last year Cruise West went under.

I know about American Cruise Lines and their small vessels and there’s also Lindblad, any others come to mind anyone???

Thanks for the information. I’m talking with a local cruise boat operator about running his boat. I was a fisherman for 35 yrs. and I’m looking for something to do thats less physically stressfull, I just don’t know what pay to ask for or expect.

[QUOTE=8ball;46970]Thanks for the information. I’m talking with a local cruise boat operator about running his boat. I was a fisherman for 35 yrs. and I’m looking for something to do thats less physically stressfull, I just don’t know what pay to ask for or expect.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking excursion boat or cruise boat? And can you say where you are, that might help us delve a bit more into it for you.