Slicing off the Dragon's tail

I’ve experienced this numerous times throught S.E.A.

[I]January 23, 2013
Philippine Navy Rescues 21 After Tanker and Fishing Vessel Collide
By MarEx

A Navy Multipurpose Attack Craft (MPAC) rescued 21 fishermen onboard a fishing boat after it collided with a tanker 4.7 nautical miles off South Harbor, Manila early morning of January 22, 2013.

“MPAC BA485 was patrolling along Manila Bay when we spotted M/B Lala Boom B in distress situation with her right outrigger broken after it was rammed by Motorized Tanker Pullilan,” said Lt. Sandy Abdulgani, the Officer in Charge (OIC) of BA485.

Abdulgani added that the fishing boat attempted to cross the tanker’s bow loaded with jet fuel that led to the collision.

According to Lieutenant Rommel Rodriguez, deputy public information officer of the Philippine Fleet, it has been the practice of fishermen to cross the bow of larger vessels because they believe it will bring them good luck and good catch if they made it.

Philippine Fleet’s Commander, Rear Admiral Orwen J Cortez commended the quick response of BA485. He called on fishermen to refrain from such superstition that poses great dangers to lives at sea.

M/T Pulilan is manned by 14 crewmen and was headed for the Pasig Entrance to unload her cargo, while M/B Lala Boom B is manned by 21 crewmen and they were headed for the fishing grounds.

The vessels were towed to the Manila International Containers Port for the concerned companies to settle the case.

—[/I]

What an interesting tradition.

Risk your life going out of your way doing something stupid and if you don’t crash, you’re “lucky”…