Fishing Boat Sinks off of Cape May NJ After a Collision with Tug Boat

Looks like the Fishing boat ran into the Tug from the damage to the Bow in the Video. They never mentioned the Tug stopping so one has to wonder why the Tug did not render aid.

I was just in those waters 24 hours ago. Those fishing boats don’t like to answer the radio. That does not excuse the guy running the dean though. Even if he did everything possible correct he will still take some of the blame.

At least no one died.

AIS shows the tug stayed in the area. Glad nobody was seriously hurt. Fishing boats are always tough to get on the radio, especially down there.

Why is it that commercial fishing boats around the world are such a problem? They always have their deck lights on to the extent that you can’t see their nav lights; it’s the exception not the rule that they answer a radio call and the chances of having no one (or no one who’s awake)in the wheelhouse is a very likely possibility. Good luck having them maintain a steady course and speed, there’s no telling which way they’re going to turn next. Appropriate action to avoid collision from a fishing boat? That’s laughable.

When I posted this I meant to mention that they said the Dean was a 78 foot Tug, which is wrong. They must have looked up the information and looked at the Old Dean which was sold to Africa.

I could not find any mention of the Time Of Day that this happened but looking at the Video it looked like it was a nice clear day.

Did they have a tow at the time?

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;183837]Did they have a tow at the time?[/QUOTE]

Looks like the tug and tow show up in the OP’s video link.

ATB pushing the RTC 106, IIRC. Whatever number it’s a 100k bbl barge

Thanks. I’m in Singapore for a while so I didn’t want to use bandwidth to watch the video.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;183844]Thanks. I’m in Singapore for a while so I didn’t want to use bandwidth to watch the video.[/QUOTE]

Enjoy yourself. I miss that place, even if it is hot and humid.

[QUOTE=water;183839]Looks like the tug and tow show up in the OP’s video link.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for catching this as I missed it when I looked at the video. I must not had my damn glasses on!