SIU HALL good bad

please give me some info on the siu I will be going to houston this week.

what are the advantages and disadvantages of joining

If you don’t join, you will not get a job out of the hall. If you do join, you might not get a job out of the hall.

I went to talk with them about joining but I already have A/B and tankerman pic [DL] and lifeboatman and bst they still tried pushing there school which is maybe a year before you can get in and after that is about a year of school. He tried pushing the school by saying you come out with a B book as far as seniority. But all it takes is 180 days on a vessel to get a B book. I was recently at the coast guard in Houston there was 4 members from the SIU and they had been just sitting down at the hall for about 4 months with no work. Also the school had at one point stopped taking new students,I advise first calling piney point and talking to them about if there still taking on new students.

I went to the SIU hall in Tacoma. I wasn’t overly impressed, got there at 11:30 which just happened to be when they decided to take their 1.5hr lunch. Only 1 real person working the counter, the other just seemed to do paperwork behind the scenes, only 3 jobs on the board. He said they weren’t taking applications for the school and that there was a 18month waiting list. But, he was decent enough to tell me that it would be a waste of my money to join and start paying dues since my likely hood of getting a job is really low since I am entry level.

Not trying to be horrible here, but most of the guys in the hall seemed…how do I put this…less than stellar.

I’ve never been particularly impressed by the Tacoma hall, but I will say that they are honest about your chances and that can save you time and money. So maybe I am impressed…

a waste of money and time for me, i went to the siu office here in puerto rico to take the entry test that was in october i never knew if i pass or failed.

That’s like my mmp experience in seattle I go in and talk to the lady behind the counter who basically tells me the hall is ‘winding down’, and that 5 of the 8 ships that used to pay out of seattle moved to long beach. She was very nice and honest.

Had a positive experience at the S.I.U. hall in boston.
In the early sixties and just off active C.G. duty with my “freshink” Wiper/Ordinery Z-card ( against the advice of my foremost authority shipmates)logged in at the hall and sat with twenty others for two hours.
The clerk announced a call for two wipers at a Cities Service ship in Chelsea Creek.
Walked to the desk expecting to be knocked over by the rush - but I was the only guy standing and so got the assignment which led to many good chances and a great life.
Guess if a lesson is included in my experience it’s don’t pass any open window if you’re serious about making way for yourself.

[quote=steelbeach;25128]Had a positive experience at the S.I.U. hall in boston.
In the early sixties and just off active C.G. duty with my “freshink” Wiper/Ordinery Z-card ( against the advice of my foremost authority shipmates)logged in at the hall and sat with twenty others for two hours.
The clerk announced a call for two wipers at a Cities Service ship in Chelsea Creek.
Walked to the desk expecting to be knocked over by the rush - but I was the only guy standing and so got the assignment which led to many good chances and a great life.
Guess if a lesson is included in my experience it’s don’t pass any open window if you’re serious about making way for yourself.[/quote]

Unfortunately according to their location map that hall is no longer there. I believe there’s an MM&P hall in Boston still, but the closest SIU is in New York City. Sucks, as I am 30 minutes from Boston but 3 hours from NYC.

Ryan

Kingrobby, Can’t be messing with a mans nooner! LOL At least they gave you the advice. Let’s you know that you just need to get some experience elsewhere. Keep plugging away.

When I first got my MMD I shipped out of a SIU hall and did a short, 2 week relief gig.

After that I found some jobs on my own, but I decided to go back to the SIU hall one day and try to ship again…

Turned out I had to pay all the dues I hadn’t paid (it had been a while) and a $600 “initiation” fee. And I needed a new SIU drug test and physical, about $300 more. And there were few jobs as I didn’t have union seniority.

I have always felt most of the SIU staff were gruff at best and downright rude (and some other choice words) at other times.

Can anybody tell me what the normal wait is at an SIU hall for a job? I just spent a ton of money on MMD with physicals, urinalysis, etc. to get AB (unlimited), lifeboatman, STCW, RFPNW, Wiper, OS, and Steward; I want a job now SIU want another 300.00 for yet another physical, urinalysis, and “english” test, and I want to know how long before a paying job comes.

Thanks,

Chris M.

[QUOTE=Cmannoia;43939]Can anybody tell me what the normal wait is at an SIU hall for a job? I just spent a ton of money on MMD with physicals, urinalysis, etc. to get AB (unlimited), lifeboatman, STCW, RFPNW, Wiper, OS, and Steward; I want a job now SIU want another 300.00 for yet another physical, urinalysis, and “english” test, and I want to know how long before a paying job comes.

Thanks,

Chris M.[/QUOTE]
Between now and Christmas is the easiest time to get a job out of the hall. Good luck!

[QUOTE=Cmannoia;43939]Can anybody tell me what the normal wait is at an SIU hall for a job? I just spent a ton of money on MMD with physicals, urinalysis, etc. to get AB (unlimited), lifeboatman, STCW, RFPNW, Wiper, OS, and Steward; I want a job now SIU want another 300.00 for yet another physical, urinalysis, and “english” test, and I want to know how long before a paying job comes.

Thanks,

Chris M.[/QUOTE]

Nobody can say for sure when you’re ship out. It’s the Union Hall system. It has it’s + and it’s -

If you’re willing to go “All Ports” and take any gig, you’re have the best chance.

1 Like

You can also buy yourself a job in an SIU hall for $300.

[QUOTE=KCapt;44007]You can also buy yourself a job in an SIU hall for $300.[/QUOTE]

How does that happen?

I have heard of such rumors, but never any proof.

I am against corruption and nepotism. I don’t see the SIU selling jobs. Maybe that went on once upon a time, but I don’t see it happening much anymore.

Some more feedback would be nice.

was at Wilmington hall today- agent said all the folks there were ‘C’ books - and they wont be shipped.