Shortage of Officers in the world

Which Buddy or Mate have you been listening to now??
There is a lot more logical thinking behind Indonesian cabotage laws than you give them credit for. (Also some illogic, like passing laws that Indonesia don’t have ships to meet)
To reserve domestic trade for Indonesian flag ships, Officers and Crew is fairly logical, as long as they don’t mix other things into a Cabotage Law…
Since Indonesian seafarers work on all kinds of ships and all over the world, they KNOW that there are differences in pay based on nationalities. (Not always corresponding to abilities)

I have NEVER heard of any such rules.
PS> I worked in Indonesia well over the age of 60.

thats the reality of the cabotage slightly tongue in cheek but it was an Indo Captain I worked for offshore that told me that then I came to learn oh yes he was right.
Yes anybody knows why countrys have those law.

The locals clearly do not want to own technical vessels as that would require technical skills so there would start to be some mixing of crews, not going to happen, rates might rise.
Sure they put tenders out and they cant meet them so a foreign vessel gets chartered with 99% foreign crew, for just about all technical vessels although some have done deals to get Indo flags as they need to be 51% owned or something?
They would have psv and ahts coverage by now.

Yes the clever crew get out and never work in Indo but most dont.

I think I heard that when I did a medical required by the client which was Conoco I think, I was amazed
Was stress test and the whole 9 yards just to let the ahts into Indo waters
that was before they ramped up their cabotage enforcement.

Well I was told that in no uncertain terms. Perhaps it was due to the deal the charterers had worked out with the Indonesian government, I really don’t know but I don’t make things up like that.

I didn’t imply you do, but I have never heard of the rule.

I worked as Marine Advicor for an oil and gas company the last time I had a “long term” job in Indonesia. (1 year in Balikpapan and Handil)

I have had many short term assignments in Indonesia without any problem up to the age of 73.
PS>That did not involve going Offshore by helicopter, or being signed on any ship, rig or boat though

It is NOT according to ITFs definition of a FOC:

BTW: Norway is making NIS register more useful for shipping as we know it today:

Perhaps that was the difference. I had to be signed on a ship and on occasion transferred by helicopter though most of the time it was by crew boat. I transferred in/out of Balikpapan. Normally stayed at the Gran Senyiur hotel which must have been great in its day.
I enjoyed the people and country very much.

When were you working in Indonesia / Balikpapan?

I have been in and out of Indonesia (Sabang ke Merauke) since 1959, until 2016.
In Balikpapan many times in that period.

I also enjoyed Indonesia and the Indonesians of all ethnic groups (except the Madurans):
http://thespicerouteend.com/introduction-indonesian-ethnic-groups-languages/
Understanding the national language (Bahasa Indonesia) is helpful, since most people now are able to converse in it.

English knowledge has improved, especially among the better educated people I was mainly dealing with the last 20 years or so. (Thus my Bahasa Indonesia/Malayu is now VERY rusty)

PS> During my “long” assignment in Balikpapan I stayed at the Blue Sky Hotel (28/28)

1 Like

Last time I was there was 2009. I know the Blue Sky it was up the hill a long way from the Gran but it was not where they chose me to stay as it was more expensive than the Gran Senyiur . I actually liked than Gran, it was a step back in time. I learned a little Bahasa but forgot most all. The interesting thing I remember is some people having only one name. No first no last just one name. It took some getting used to. My two most memorable times there were going to an Orangutan preserve and attending a funeral for a crew member in a village many kilometres from Balikpapan. Great memories. Now the most adventurous I get is an occasional trip to Bali.

Bugman, I have to call you out on this one. I understand that the people of Scandinavia consists of separate countries, just like the American south consists of various states. I have a great respect for the people of Scandinavia for their progressive societies and culture. In case you don’t know the term “redneck” is a pejorative. Characterizing people from the south as all being “rednecks” is as inappropriate as referring to Scandanavians as: “Squareheads”, “Blockheads”, “Boxheads” or using a phrase that was common when I was and O.S. (deck boy) 45 years ago, when we would do things manually rather than using mechanical power as utilizing “Norweigan Steam!”

Oh I known what the term “Redneck” means. I have worked with many of them over the years.
I also know the terms you throw out for “Scandinavians” and it doesn’t make me cringe.
BTW: It is also used for Dutch and others in many places.

As to “Norwegian Steam”, you obviously haven’t seen my post here about "the Norwegian icebreaker? (Much more insulting):

PS> You can only be insulted, or discriminated against, if you feel inferior.

1 Like

Wasn’t that one description of the windmill bilge pumps that were fitted to Scandinavian sailing ships?

I seem to recall reading that or another apellation for the things.

yes you cant call all the guys from the south rednecks as south of I 10 they are coonies, speak French, have relatives in Canada, can cook very well etc
I was doing a course in Houston once had an old coonie in the class, very nice guy was explaining to some young Kings Pointers from up north some history, he asked the class a show of hands, rednecks and coonies,
I was amazed they kids didnt know the story of why some people down south can speak French

Trying to explain the etymology of “Cajun” would have been futile.

Never heard them called “coonies”.

1 Like

Everything i know about the story taught to me by working alongside people north and south of i -10

Me either. They also don’t speak French, it’s sorta French, kinda like the Scots speak English. Both are unintelligible.

4 Likes

Cajun French is one of the Louisiana French dialects (or languages?)
Improve your knowledge of the language here:

I have seen/heard “Coona” used.
PS> May just be a polite variety of coona**

BTW; “Coonies” may just be an Aussie variety of “Coona”

For that matter, the French spoken in Québec differs from what is spoken in France.
Scots English has provided a few useful words, e.g. “numpty.” I like that one almost as much as my favorite from Ireland, “omadhaun.”

1 Like

Having spent time in France with Quebecois colleagues I can assure you that they had absolutely no problem communicating with the locals. And they didn’t get any funny looks or Je ne comprends pas either.

A coonass in Cannes might be another matter entirely!