Shortage of Officers in the world

Coonass, redneck, squarehead are all considered to be a pejorative except in under certain specific circumstances.

For example if person A calls person B by some term of endearment it might be appropriate if one is the spouse of the other but otherwise inappropriate .

If someone called me a Yankee on a GOM boat I’d probably watch my back but on a Maine boat It’d make me feel welcome.

I worked with a guy who called himself that, even his uniform had that on his name badge.
All the rednecks on board called them coonies and the coonies called the red neck rednecks
never saw any animosity at all

Yes its a kind French but some can speak French pretty well.
Cajun also exists in other countries connected by shipping.

Same language, different accent. The French spoken in Quebec is an offshoot of the language spoken in France much like American English is an offshoot of the language spoken in Britain. Cajun French is not quite the same as the French spoken in Quebec but is similar. The French spoken in Haiti is the furthest removed from the original and spelled phonetically but could still be understood by a Quebecois or Frenchman. The French accent in Marseille is different from the Parisian accent as the Alabama accent is from the New York accent or the Australian or New Zealand accent. They are all based on the same language and everyone can understand each other with little effort.

1 Like

In Haiti there is French which some speak but all speak Kreyol or Creole which is another language altogether. I never met a French speaking person who could understand more than a word or two of Kreyol.

1 Like

In the Northern Appalachia of the Caatskills Coonass and Redneck are synonymous.

That indicates of deficiency in cultural education. They need to get out more.

Well it’s their culture, who am I to tell them what to call themselves.

Uniform?? What kind of OSV or Rig was that on??
Boilersuit, Coverall (or whatever you prefer to call it) is more likely.

I had a Ch.Officer on a Drillship that came on the bridge in a Khaki uniform, with his epaulets on, when we left Singapore. I sent him down to change before anybody could see him.
(He was a Dutch “Rent-a-Seaman” and had never been on a rig before)

On a Teledyne rig in the Java Sea in the 1970s there was a Toolpusher with the nickname “Coon”. He was proud of it.

On another rig I used to go on for rigmove at that time, one of the Assistant Drillers was also known as “Coon”. He looked and sounded like a Coonass,(speaking English) but was actually a “Geordie”.

That just prove that you should never judge anybody by their look, or the way they speak.

A regional accent is not uncommon in many languages. Hamburg German is different to that spoken in Stuttgart.
I can usually translate written French without much difficulty but Cajun sounded different to me.
There is a difference with English spoken on the west coast of Scotland than the east. I could tell if someone came from Edinburgh or Glasgow. Sailing with a bunch of engineers from Scotland I never had any trouble understanding them even on a sound powered telephone until one day an engineer joined from the Outer Hebrides and not even the other Scots could understand him.

Similarly offshore I’ve heard people refer to people from Norway as ‘Noggies’, I suppose that also could be considered slightly pejorative, but people never usually say it with malice. People from all regions of the UK also have similarly silly nicknames. The Norwegians probably have a nickname for people from the UK too. Some French call people from the UK ‘Rosbifs’ after roast beer dinners haha.

If there is a Norwegian nickname for people from UK I don’t know it.
For one thing UK is not a term used in Norwegian. The official name used in Norwegian is Storbritania (Great Britain)

Most people just say England for the whole lot. The people living there is known as “Engelsk”, no matter where in the UK they may come from. (In generalised terms)

Someone told me that if you get a wire that is all twisted up (link shown in the image below) Norwegians call it an ‘Englishman’s knot’ or something along those lines haha.

Yes that is right. But I have Never seen an Englishman like that on a wire.
I bet the Superintendent on the Balder wasn’t happy getting his anchor wire back looking like that

How is it possible anyhow?

Saw an anchor wire of an accomodation barge that looked a lot more creative than that after being "recovered " by a Russian AHTS. We went out and recovered the other eight.

so back to shortage of officers the answer is autonomous ships or manufacture the goods you need instead of shipping them in

And the raw materials to use in the production of the goods you (think) you need?
Even Australia doesn’t have EVERYTHING that is needed.

ok so one ship a month with Champagne from France

Shipping is huge due to short term economic policy that can close an industry in one country when another is living on government subsidy or cheap to free labour or an exchange rate makes you too expensive

Is that in bulk, in containers, or in barrels as breakbulk?
How big ship?

Nothing is for free!! Even slaves have to be purchased, fed and housed.

I just looked at Australias biggest value import, refined oil products wow, in 3rd place crude oil.

The UKSR is setting up a “sales office” in Greece:
https://www.ukshipregister.co.uk/news/uk-ship-register-announces-dedicated-greece-support/
To “Sell” the British flag I presume? Will they “sell” British officers to go with it?
(Anything goes in these Brexit days)