Shortage of Officers in the world

Add whatever country to the list. No plane, train, or automobile enters U.S. service, with U.S. registration, without it meeting U.S. standards. It would not be much of a stretch to allow a foreign built ship into U.S. service, under the U.S. flag, after meeting USCG standards.

I work as a ship’s agent now on the West Coast and I see Ro-Ro after Ro-Ro of “American” cars being imported from the Republic of Korea. Conversely, I see a VW plant in Chattanooga and a KIA plant in West Point, GA. Things will eventually equalize as parts of the supply and manufacture chain will optimize American labor and foreign labor.

If the U.S. shipbuilding requirement didn’t exist to the extent it did today, America’s Finest wouldn’t have had to jump through hoops to be permitted to U.S. service.

The same goes the other way. US export is subject to the standard of the country it is exported to.

BTW: The largest exporter of cars Made in USA is BMW from their plant in Georgia:

Spartanburg, South Carolina

3 Likes

BMW really drives the point home. The assembly chain and the supply chain will stretch enough to include the United States.

Probably considered close enough when you automatically paint everything having to do with the US with a very wide brush.

1 Like

If you took the foreign owned manufacturing companies out of the southeast USA there would be very little manufacturing left there.

1 Like

Georgia, South Carolina what is the difference, it’s all in the South and full of Rednecks.

Now calling everything to do with Norway as Scandinavia and Scandinavians is really bad. (Confusing Denmark with Norway, or Norway with Sweden is already bad enough)

An investigation a couple of years ago found a lot of healthcare workers in the UK who were from Pakistan had bought fake qualifications, including doctors in very prominent positions.

When in Scandinavia, do as the Scandinavians do.

2 Likes

This is the 5 NORDIC countries, shown on a a very rough map. (As is the knowledge of the countries by a majority of Americans)

BTW; the “Map” is lacking the Norwegian possessions of Svalbard and Jan Mayen, the Danish possession of Greenland and the Finnish Åland Islands.

PS> Scandinavia is the peninsula containing mainland Norway and Sweden, but we generously enough allow Denmark to call itself a Scandinavian country.
Finland and Iceland are Nordic countries, but not part of Scandinavia.

You know what people mean when they say Scandinavian. Sometimes you got to let them go with their preconceived generalizations. I learned this years ago when I started being a smart ass when meeting people from other countries while overseas. Someone would say,"I’m American. I’d say would that be north or south America? They’d say, uh north and I’d say so your Canadian? The exceptions were Texans. Invariably when I asked where they were from they didn’t say america, they just said Texas which is actually very close to being part of north america.

You might want to let these guys know that they got it wrong.

That was the source for the map. But how could they possibly know as much as you?

Scandinavia Standard

Scandinavia standard is largest English-language website on Scandinavian lifestyle for locals, travellers, and Scandiphiles around the world. Find out more about Scandinavia Standard here.

Read more

1 Like

Oh they know!! They even go to the length of explaining it for those who don’t:

Where is America? :upside_down_face:

Depends of WHICH America?
Trick questions;
How many Continents are there?
Are there one or two American continents?
Is Australia a Continent?

yes australia is, sitting on its own tectonic plate that is moving north

All you ever wanted to know about Continents. (and then some):
https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/continents.htm

Geography isn’t taught as much as it used to be. Knowing the continents was a requirement for getting out of elementary school when I was a child. Now? For entertainment show a kid a map of the world and ask them to point out where they are currently located. For that matter show an adult the same thing.

2 Likes

I had a young guy that had an unlimited ticket in a class once clearly had a decent education, all the other students in awe as he was about 30 yrs old or something, full of himself.
Got to the part where the outline of the world map came up for the UTM discussion, he was unable to find Singapore on the map, I could see he couldn’t recognize any of the shapes, he was Indonesian.
Lots of giggles from the others in the class that obviously could.

I found out he was baby sitting a large vessel when off hire in Singapore for probably $250/day?
mates $150, 2nd $60 typically
For those that dont know Indonesia has cabotage law and its designed to keep the expensive skilled people out… (the irony is its to prevent the locals from finding out how much they earn)

They have some strange rules in Indonesia. I enjoyed working there but was told once I was 60 years of age I couldn’t work there any more.