Short Intro. and poem from my dad, from yesterday's post

Here are the few words from my father’s heart…simple, yet all who have lost a love in these dreaded wars will understand the sentiment.

[I][B]Listen up! I’m just an “ancient mariner” (World War II – all theatres)! The short poem that follows was written for those heroes who did not survive the wars of our times and in the hopes that those words will build up in a crescendo of compassion, both for these heroes and the ones they left behind.[/B][/I]
[I][B] R. Rhein[/B][/I]

[I][B] Somewhere You Are Again[/B][/I]

I know that somewhere
                                                                         you are again;

Our daughter is saving your name
                                                                         for her firstborn

And Tom has received his appointment
                                                                         to the Naval Academy;

Yes, somewhere you are again.

And, Dear Love, I shall see you then.

[SIZE=1]Thank you again, for allowing me to post this for my wonderful dad. You made him happy.[/SIZE]

Melanie

[QUOTE=melanier3;123622]Here are the few words from my father’s heart…simple, yet all who have lost a love in these dreaded wars will understand the sentiment.

[I][B]Listen up! I’m just an “ancient mariner” (World War II – all theatres)! The short poem that follows was written for those heroes who did not survive the wars of our times and in the hopes that those words will build up in a crescendo of compassion, both for these heroes and the ones they left behind.[/B][/I]
[I][B] R. Rhein[/B][/I]

[I][B] Somewhere You Are Again[/B][/I]

I know that somewhere
                                                                         you are again;

Our daughter is saving your name
                                                                         for her firstborn

And Tom has received his appointment
                                                                         to the Naval Academy;

Yes, somewhere you are again.

And, Dear Love, I shall see you then.

[SIZE=1]Thank you again, for allowing me to post this for my wonderful dad. You made him happy.[/SIZE]

Melanie[/QUOTE]

Short and very moving. Well done. I’m sorry for the trouble that you experienced on the first thread you started but I am truly grateful to you for sharing this with us and to your father for writing it and having the courage to share his own work with the world, not to mention of course his bravery in fighting the good fight in all theaters of the greatest war the world has ever seen.

That was moving, heartfelt and eloquent. thank you for posting that Miss Melanie. And pass on my thanks and gratitude to your Dad for his service.

5 very moving lines indeed.

Thinking from you fathers perspective - The dragons of his time have been slayed at great cost and sacrifice. Now in his 90’s, he is left to contemplate - all that lost capital and young dreams and ambitions never realized - to what end? What could have been? Did he live a life well lived and what is to be his legacy?

Respect, inspiration and admiration of your fathers life is a wonderful legacy. Please Thank him for us.

As a Young boy, most of my when I was off from school was spent in shipyards. When I think back to what made me choose a life at sea, it always comes back to listening and learning from men like her Father. I was like a sponge listening to all of these stories. Also, I was taught at a young age what it meant to do a really days work. The men (and women) of that generation are what made Our Merchant Fleet what it was.

Melanier3, thank you so very much for sharing your Father’s Poem with us. Please do not let one butt hole member stop you from coming back and hopefully sharing more about your Father. Also, please tell your Father Thank You for sharing this with us and also for his service as without men like him this world that we live in would be a very different place.

That shows how a very few words can convey a whole lot of meaning. My dad was career army and is now in his mid 80’s. I thank your dad for his service and also thank you and your family for the sacrifices you all went through so he could serve.

Hello all,
I was so busy (among other things) reading the comments on my other post regarding the “dreaded comment”, that I didn’t realize all the wonderful comments that were actually posted about my dad’s poem. Tomorrow when I see him, I will print all the beautiful words from beautiful people. You can’t begin to imagine how this will make him feel.

With love and gratitude,
Melanie

Those words convey a lot of emotion. Thank you to your father for his service and to you and your family for the sacrifices you made so that he could serve his country.