Shore power

The article didn’t tell us much. Some types of vessels are easy to accommodate, others that still have high power demands not so easy. My thoughts are that to power a vessel with reefer containers and or ship’s cranes or even a car carrier with ventilation fans running would need a 11,000 volt supply to an onboard transformer to keep the cables to a manageable size.

Possibly Esbjerg Port Authorities have in-house knowledge, or have engaged outside consultants to advice them on such issues??

The number of ports with the capability to supply power to ships is growing. Here is an ABB presentation.
https://library.e.abb.com/public/ef42205027df40fcaea5548681ea74ba/S2SP_SP_External_new_brand_19042017.pdf

Traditional shore power boxes can run hotel services onboard ship during shipyard and not much else, one vessel couldn’t run the AC in shipyard in Singapore.
Container terminals have a very limited area outboard of the gantry cranes for anything even the ship’s gangway so I would see the ship supplied cables at 11 kV being used. Loading a large load of reefer containers usually means full utilisation of all onboard generation until the load settles down.
I have a 11 Kv pad mounted transformer supplying 440 volt 3 phase to my shed and single phase to two homes.

Another silly idea preaching about a non-existent problem that won’t be solved by their solution.

There’s one test and only one test. Is the power to be supplied by this system cheaper for the ship than running its own? If it’s cheaper, the ship will do it without further incentive and there’s no need for any sanctimony about saving the world or virtue signalling to, “reduce carbon emissions at the Danish port by 70% by 2030”.

Or companies will avoid this port and go somewhere sensible.

1 Like

Hilarious, so they’re just going to run an extension cord from the wind turbine to the boat?

1 Like

No.