Ships with two bridges

Wartsila has received order for 10 fully integrated bridge systems for 5 icebreaking LNG Carriers to be built by Samsung:

That is right, two fully equipped bridges for each vessel. One facing forward for normal operation and one facing aft for when the ship is going astern to break ice.

Not that unusual on Offshore vessels, Ferries etc. but not that common on large LNG Carriers.

1 Like

Every double-acting ship ever built has an aft steering position for astern operation in ice.

1 Like

Nice pics

Yes that is what it says in the article:

But ā€œnot that normal on large LNG Carriersā€ (Other than those built for the Yamal LNG project)

Be interesting to see how they configure the nav lights.
ā€˜Captain, which way are we going?
Which way are we pointing?ā€™

Also, why donā€™t they just make one and swivel it as required?

Could be confusing in a crossing situation but then again they probably donā€™t run into much traffic while breaking ice.

The harbour ferries here have Nav lights at each end. In the wheelhouse being used they had a bright lightbulb over the wheel which was only extinguished when the lights were correctly changed over.

What happens when the bulb fails?
Not that any of us have ever seen that of courseā€¦

The light was part of the navigation light circuit and an alarm would sound the same as a failure of a navigation light.

Double ended ferries have two sets of navigation lights.
Modern once have one wheelhouse. Only the Captainā€™s chair has to swivel when they change direction.(Nav.lights switch automatically)

More pertinent question is for harbour tugs that frequently move backwards between jobs. (??)

Of course, what they could have done was have two full sets of crews; one for going forwards and one for going forwards in the other direction.
Probably too simple to figure that one out.

1 Like

Are you talking about icebreaking LNG Carriers, Double ended ferries or Tractor tugs?
Ohh I get it. Itā€™s a joke, right??

1 Like

Sounds like a joke. My icebreaking days were one way, with a shitty tug that I had to back up at times to ram it again. Shipyard loved us, but we delivered heating oil to the customers that needed it. Nothing like what these vessels go through. But was no picnic and very little sleep for the crew below.

Some early double-acting ships were built with two sets of navigational lights (ahead/astern), but the more recent ones have just one set (ahead). When these ships are going backwards, everyone is either moving very slowly or just stuck.

1 Like

We have only one of our original ferries left and a group of volunteers are slowly restoring it on the hard.
They had a triple expansion steam engine driving a propeller at each end of the vessel. A rudder was also fitted to each end, the rudder at the " bow" being locked amidships by a pin on deck. I think the capacity of the ferries was about 600 passengers.
The ferries have been replaced by catamarans but it will be a great day when they get the old girl back in the water.
Sydney, Australia has some large ferries with two bridges, but I havenā€™t ever travelled on them.