Shell Arctic Progress

Shell has been drilling for weeks. Have they found oil yet?

[QUOTE=tugsailor;168441]Shell has been drilling for weeks. Have they found oil yet?[/QUOTE]

… or gas?

I’m sure they hope not just gas!

[QUOTE=coldduck;168457]I’m sure they hope not just gas![/QUOTE]

I also hope it’s not just gas…I’ve already got plenty and don’t need no more

Its been awhile since i read about previous drilling at the Burger Prospect. As I recall, they previously drilled into the top of a “dome” geologic structure and found wet gas. As I understand it, the current plan is to drill deeper into the sides of the dome where oil is expected to be found. Shell seems very confident about making a huge find.

This year the plan was to drill into the “top hole” that they drilled in 2012. How long should it take to complete drilling out this top hole to project depth? A month? Shouldn’t they be well into the pay zone by now? Shouldn’t they be done drillng this hole? What have they found?

Inquiring minds want to know.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;168476]Its been awhile since i read about previous drilling at the Burger Prospect. As I recall, they previously drilled into the top of a “dome” geologic structure and found wet gas. As I understand it, the current plan is to drill deeper into the sides of the dome where oil is expected to be found. Shell seems very confident about making a huge find.

This year the plan was to drill into the “top hole” that they drilled in 2012. How long should it take to complete drilling out this top hole to project depth? A month? Shouldn’t they be well into the pay zone by now? Shouldn’t they be done drillng this hole? What have they found?

Inquiring minds want to know.[/QUOTE]

if I understood it right, they decided not to go back to the well they started drilling 3 years ago but identified 2 other ones:

[I]Shell drilled a partly-complete exploration well in 2012, Burger A, but chose not to return to that specific location this year.[/I]

If they’ll have any or more luck there remains to be seen.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;168441]Shell has been drilling for weeks. Have they found oil yet?[/QUOTE]

I can only hope so. With that many people around, it will be no secret.

Could they just be doing research to figure out where the absolute best spot is? Or maybe I don’t know how oil drilling works. Is it more like throwing a dart at a board and hoping it’s a decent spot?

I don’t know anything about drilling for oil, but I believe that drilling locations are chosen based upon seismic surveys, well logs from prior drilling, and geologic similarity to other successful oil finds. While instinct and educated guesses by knowledgeable people are part of the process, it’s a lot more scientific than throwing darts at the wall.