Shell Arctic News

From Alaska Daily News

Partial holes will be created, revisited for completion next year.
By LISA DEMER — Anchorage Daily News
Shell Oil is now drilling wells in two Arctic seas off Alaska’s northern coast.
Drilling began Wednesday afternoon in the Beaufort Sea after the end of an Inupiat whale hunt, according to Curtis Smith, spokesman for Shell Alaska.
The company resumed drilling in the Chukchi Sea on Sept. 23 after a two-week suspension due to encroaching sea ice, he said.
But Shell still won’t be able to drill deep enough to reach oil this year. An oil spill containment dome, an essential piece of safety gear, was damaged during testing last month in a Bellingham shipyard.
Shell had agreed to hold off drilling in the Beaufort until two villages, Kaktovik and Nuiqsut, concluded their whaling seasons. The Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission notified Shell on Wednesday that it could drill, Smith said. Kaktovik just landed its second whale of the fall hunt, and Nuiqsut earlier had success. A Kaktovik crew struck a third whale but lost it and village whaling captains haven’t decided whether seek permission to try again, resident Annie Tikluk said.
At around 2:45 p.m., Shell began drilling with the Kulluk, a conical drilling rig, over its Sivulliq prospect some 20 miles offshore in the Beaufort Sea, Smith said. It was able to anchor over the site a few days ago even though whaling was still underway, he said.
In the Chukchi Sea, Shell is drilling with the Noble Discoverer, anchored over its Burger prospect.
[B]Shell says its 2012 season is shaping up to be a success[/B] despite a slow start and limits on drilling to about 1,400 feet, far short of oil-rich zones. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar has said Shell cannot drill into geological formations that contain oil until the oil spill containment system, which sits on a barge, is complete.
Shell is investigating what went wrong in the testing of the containment dome, designed to be lowered over an out-of-control well to funnel oil, natural gas and contaminated water back to the barge, the Arctic Challenger.
It doesn’t plan to release its findings to the public, Smith said. But it fully expects the containment system to be repaired and approved by regulators for deployment during the 2013 drilling season, he said.
Shell contractor Superior Energy Services owns and will operate the barge and containment system. But Smith said that ultimately, "it’s under the banner of Shell."
Shell is drilling what it calls “top-holes,” or partial wells that it expects to revisit and complete next year.
Federal rules imposed on publicly traded companies prohibit it from providing details on how that work is progressing until the season wraps up, Smith said.
“Yes, it’s been a tough summer in many ways. But it’s also been a really exciting summer,” he said. “I know it’s slower and shorter and not as deep as we want, but to shake all this out, it still feels pretty good.”

Reach Lisa Demer at ldemer@adn.com or 257-4390.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/10/03/2649594/shell-starts-exploratory-drilling.html#storylink=cpy

Arctic Ice

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/arctic.sea.ice.interactive.html

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/NEWIMAGES/arctic.seaice.color.003.png

Are all the boats still on the Beaufort side? If so that’s going to be a long cold trip home!!!

[QUOTE=tugsailor;84682]
[B]Shell says its 2012 season is shaping up to be a success[/B][/QUOTE]

a steaming dumptruck load of [B]BULLSHIT[/B]

[QUOTE=TALLchief!;84735]Are all the boats still on the Beaufort side? If so that’s going to be a long cold trip home!!![/QUOTE]

The fleet is split with the Kulluk and assist boats on Beaufort side and Discoverer and assist boats in the Chukchi. Either way will be a cold trip for them wherever they go. Does anyone know the offseason location for them? I remember it being discussed some time back.

Hopefully with all the roadblocks that have been thrown at this project they can call it a success and bring everyone back the way they left. For sure there will be plenty of learnings to go into next season…

[QUOTE=The Commodore;84757]The fleet is split with the Kulluk and assist boats on Beaufort side and Discoverer and assist boats in the Chukchi. Either way will be a cold trip for them wherever they go. Does anyone know the offseason location for them? I remember it being discussed some time back.

Hopefully with all the roadblocks that have been thrown at this project they can call it a success and bring everyone back the way they left. For sure there will be plenty of learnings to go into next season…[/QUOTE]

I hope they all freeze in and must “winter over”

Everyone I’ve talked to and worked with considers it a successful season and good harbinger of 2013 2014 2015 ad infinitum.
Exciting times.

Too bad the sea lawyers, nautical gas bags, and pompous armchair captain buffoons who post so frequently AND LOUDLY in this forum always try to paint it as a failure.

Good Job Shell.

[QUOTE=richard8000milesaway;84764]Everyone I’ve talked to and worked with considers it a successful season and good harbinger of 2013 2014 2015 ad infinitum.
Exciting times.

Too bad the sea lawyers, nautical gas bags, and pompous armchair captain buffoons who post so frequently AND LOUDLY in this forum always try to paint it as a failure.

Good Job Shell.[/QUOTE]

I’d say “ad nauseum” rather…

//youtu.be/tuWhX6nePkY

Let me guess that you have a slightly biased opinion?

[QUOTE=c.captain;84766]I’d say “ad nauseum” rather…

//youtu.be/tuWhX6nePkY

Let me guess that you have a slightly biased opinion?[/QUOTE]

Sit this would be akin to the pot calling the kettle black? You have wished that project nothing but failure and doom on this forum since you chose to walk off that ship instead of staying aboard, embracing its madness and making it a better vessel more suited for success in the Arctic. You have proven this hate “ad nauseum.”

Every opinion is biased you fucking knucklehead that’s why there called OPINIONS.

What an idiot.

[QUOTE=The Commodore;84782]Sit this would be akin to the pot calling the kettle black? You have wished that project nothing but failure and doom on this forum since you chose to walk off that ship instead of staying aboard, embracing its madness and making it a better vessel more suited for success in the Arctic. You have proven this hate “ad nauseum.”[/QUOTE]

I want nothing more than for success in the arctic and the jobs it is going to bring but Shell Alaska have proven themselves to be a one big amateur clown circus and Noble Drilling is just that little poodledog dancing on the striped ball.

Where the fuck are real “Arctic Ready” players to do this right up there. This year has been nothing but one immense embarrassment for the US!

Let’s give Shell some credit for doing the best it can to turn lemons (failure of the ARCTIC CHALLENGER and its containment dome) into lemonade. They are making the best of a bad situation. No doubt, they have learned some valuable lessons and have made a good head start on the 2013 drilling season. Why don’t they just say that? However, I do think its a bit much for Shell to be calling this season a big success.

Hopefully, next season will be a huge success.

I wish we had more accurate details on what it is really like to operate up there.

There are a bunch of us involved in the project here on gcaptain but propriety data and common sense dictate that we lay low for awhile.

I CAN say its been amazing.

My Brother just returned from some meeting in Valdez. He told me that after having several conversations with different people that Shell is more interested in the Natural Gas than the Oil and there is talk about building a Gas Pipeline alongside of the Oil pipeline. It will be interesting to see if this happens.

Given how low gas prices are and how high Arctic production costs will be, its hard to believe that Shell is primarily interested in gas. I think they are after oil. I don’t know anything about petroleum geology, but one article (I think it might have been in in FUEL FIX) described how they had drilled in the Chukchi into the top of the dome of the formation in the 1990’s and found gas and gas liquids, but this time they are drilling into the flanks of the formation in search of oil.

The Alaska gas pipeline is very old news. Its been talked out for at least 30 years. 20 years ago the big controversy was about the route. The Canadians and the Fed’s and some of the pipeline companies wanted the gas pipeline route to go from Prudhoe Bay to McKenzie River and then through Canada to the the Midwest. The Canadians also wanted to run an oil pipeline from McKenzie River to Prudhoe Bay. As I understand it they found quite a bit of oil in that area of Canada around McKenzie River, but it was never produced for lack of any way to get the oil to market. Alaska blocked the Canadian pipeline route because they want the gas (and the jobs it will bring) to come through Alaska. About five years ago Sarah Palin had hammered out a deal to get the gas pipeline built, but then gas prices fell and the financing disappeared.

[QUOTE=richard8000milesaway;84911]There are a bunch of us involved in the project here on gcaptain but propriety data and common sense dictate that we lay low for awhile.

I CAN say its been amazing.[/QUOTE]

hooray…I’ll phone Force and have the KP marching band on hand to salute you and Captain Neidermeyer at the pier in Seattle playing “A Life on the Ocean Wave” (without even almost tipping over after dropping the LMRP and riser after tearing up the anchor winches and turret) Of course, that wasn’t the illustrious Captain N. there that night but it was he who let his ship be in a state of lethargy and paralysis as Lucy and her Merry Band waltzed right aboard in New Plymouth in board daylight and then let his Darwin Genius Award recipient mate on anchor watch do anything on the bridge other than to “watch the anchored position” and allowed his ship to ground in broad daylight with the whole of Dutch Harbor/Unalaska and the Planet Earth to witness with the most extremely lucky and fortunate of consequences for him and his ship. Of course, being Noble and Shell no heads ever roll for dereliction of duty or ineptitude…PERISH THE THOUGHT OF ACCOUNTABILITY! No sir, heads only roll when professionalism and adherence to the regulations is put first to the consternation of and inconvenience to the Noble Drilling GoM Division!

The Neidermeyer

“A PPPLEDGE PPPIN!!!”

“Get up, you faggots! Get up and fight!”
— Neidermeyer, Animal House

“Stop exploding, you cowards!”
— Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

A commanding officer with a complete lack of respect between himself and the troops. Because of his demonstrated incompetence, cowardice, inexperience, willingness to sacrifice them for his own glory or to get promoted, or just being a psychotic level hard-ass, his authority is resented by the men in the trenches, and his orders are only obeyed because chain-of-command says so.

In more upbeat war shows, he’s usually forced to learn An Aesop about his awful command style and adjust his behavior in a way that either changes him into a likable officer or results in his resignation, demotion, or transfer to a more suitable post.

In more cynical war movies there will be no escape from the petty and obnoxious brute, and the men simply grouse and wait for the day someone on the opposing side will get lucky and catch him in the crosshairs. The troops might even conspire to frag him if they get tired of waiting for the enemy to do the job.

If he is too tough to frag, though, the (un)lucky survivor of his tirades will become either a Yes Man with no more backbone than he started off with a sense of “loyalty” to him, or The Dragon who seeks to become his successor when he dies/moves on. In a best case scenario, the successor may show much competence and merely view the man as a Cynical Mentor or Drill Sergeant Nasty, but not always. In this case, the other troops will remain as spiteful as ever, but find that the converted will easily take care of any sort of mutiny they try to pull off.

The Drill Sergeant Nasty is a Neidermeyer — or just acts like one — with the purpose of turning recruits into soldiers. A Sergeant Rock may act like the Neidermeyer but is nonetheless held in high regard because he wouldn’t put his men through anything he isn’t going through himself.

The polar opposite of this trope is “A Father to His Men”. In many cases, a General Failure is basically a Neidermeyer with greater rank and thus even more scope for causing damage. If The Neidermeyer is a temporary replacement for the usual Reasonable Authority Figure, it may also be a Tyrant Takes the Helm story. A Neidermeyer lacking in authority is Gung Holier Than Thou.

Named after the infamous blowhard ROTC commander Doug Neidermeyer from the movie Animal House. In the epilogue, it’s revealed that he ended up being shot by his own troops in Vietnam. In the John Landis-directed segment of The Twilight Zone movie, we even meet the soldiers who shot him.

Captain Queeg of The Caine Mutiny is an alternate Trope namer often referenced in media, hence the expression “Queeg-like”.

Huzzah…Effing tools!

For all the good things you do contribute like mobilization against companies getting unjustified waivers in the GoM, it always comes back to this vomit inducing rant about an ex employer and captain. Sad thing is there is only your side of the story, b/c I’ve heard through the grapevine that you weren’t top shelf yourself. Not sure why you continually insist on bringing up this as I’d be ashamed of being run off from such a terrible outfit…just saying.

[QUOTE=rigdvr;84934]For all the good things you do contribute like mobilization against companies getting unjustified waivers in the GoM, it always comes back to this vomit inducing rant about an ex employer and captain. Sad thing is there is only your side of the story, b/c I’ve heard through the grapevine that you weren’t top shelf yourself. Not sure why you continually insist on bringing up this as I’d be ashamed of being run off from such a terrible outfit…just saying.[/QUOTE]

25 years sailing a master including the Bering Sea in winter with ZERO marine incidents…zip, zilch, nada, none to be found, nonexistent, not there anywhere, not even under the sofa cushions…PERIOD!

Nothing more need be said unless you somehow feel you must…SIR!

in the mean time

//youtu.be/GVO1Bk0YAxw

Love that dog!

I think everyone who has a point, has already made it.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;84944]I think everyone who has a point, has already made it.[/QUOTE]

that’s fair…ok by me