SHE RISES! the COSTA CONCORDIA floats again

finally…the end of this ridiculous saga in sight!

[B]Costa Concordia: Wrecked cruise ship floating again
[/B]

By Barbie Latza Nadeau, Catherine E. Shoichet and Erin McLaughlin, CNN

updated 8:09 AM EDT, Mon July 14, 2014

Giglio, Italy (CNN) – The last time anyone saw Russel Rebello alive, he was near the stern of the Costa Concordia, helping passengers into rescue boats.

But the 33-year-old waiter from India never escaped the doomed cruise ship. And he’s the only victim of the 2012 shipwreck whose remains haven’t been found.

Investigators hope that could change soon. On Monday morning, salvage crews began the arduous task of trying to refloat the ship so they can move it to the Italian port of Genoa to be dismantled.

By midday Monday, the ship was floating again, Costa Crociere CEO Michael Thamm said.

It’s been more than two and a half years since the ship ran aground off Italy’s Giglio Island with more than 4,200 passengers aboard, killing 32 people in a disaster that drew global attention.

And it’s been 10 months since salvage teams rolled the 114,000-ton vessel off the rocks in one of the most complex shipwreck recovery efforts ever undertaken.

But there’s still more work to be done.

“We are not at the end, but we are at a critical moment,” Giglio Mayor Sergio Ortelli told reporters.

For the past 10 months, engineers have been hard at work, attaching metal boxes to either side of the ship.

After draining water from the boxes, they had to pump compressed air into its place to get the ship to float.

It was a dangerous and tricky procedure. The ship is rotting, and there’s a real risk the bottom of it could give way.

By lunchtime Monday, the ship had been moved 20 meters (about 66 feet) as part of an initial 30-meter shift to the east. After 30 meters, divers will begin attaching more chains and cables to help reinforce the bottom.

Then the full refloat begins, lifting the Concordia, deck by deck, clearing any debris along the way.

CNN’s Barbie Latza Nadeau said the 20-meter shift had taken place earlier than planned and had already dramatically changed the appearance of the wreck from land.

“There is no break, it’s a 24-hour process, but the fact that they are ahead of schedule means this could go fast,” she said.

Once the ship is completely floated, it will be towed – slowly and carefully – 240 kilometers (150 miles) to Genoa.

Officials say it’s likely the towing process won’t start for days, due to port restrictions. It will take five to six days for the ship to reach Genoa, officials said.
We are not at the end, but we are at a critical moment.

Thamm called the operation “the most daunting salvage ever attempted on a ship of its size.”

He added that the cost of the project has already exceeded 1 billion euros – and that doesn’t include the refloat, the anticipated transport to Genova or the dismantling.

Since the wreck two years ago, 24 metric tons of debris – including furniture, dishes, food, personal effects and ship parts – have been recovered from the seabed.

While salvage crews continue efforts to deal with the wreckage, Francesco Schettino, the ship’s captain, is on trial on charges of manslaughter, causing a maritime disaster and abandoning ship with passengers still on board. He denies wrongdoing.

Search teams thought they had found Rebello’s remains last October. But the body divers found turned out to be Maria Grazia Trecarichi, a Sicilian who had been on the cruise to celebrate her 50th birthday with her 17-year-old daughter, who survived.

Schettino’s shame finally sees the light of day.

[QUOTE=captrob;140924]Schettino’s shame finally sees the light of day.[/QUOTE]

but Rob, you have the spelling wrong…

it’s S_H_I_T_T_I_N_O!

a typical craven Italian clown fool who was likely still living with his momma! How on earth can such a coward ever be chosen to be master of a cruiseship?

I think the Peter Principle applies here.

You have to admit, that’s been one heck of a salvage job thus far. Hats off to those guys.

You guys realize that we have a homepage with video and pictures on it?

http://gcaptain.com/costa-concordia-refloating-everything-you-need-to-know/

[video=youtube_share;j0yJAqrH9v8]http://youtu.be/j0yJAqrH9v8[/video]

And CNN of all websites…

[QUOTE=Mikey;140960]And CNN of all websites…[/QUOTE]

like gCaptain is the only place I get my maritime news from…

what…do you think I live at this site or something?

Homepage? What’s that?

[QUOTE=c.captain;140970]like gCaptain is the only place I get my maritime news from…

what…do you think I live at this site or something?[/QUOTE]

Just going by the amount that you post, I would say that Yes you do live here.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;140975]Homepage? What’s that?[/QUOTE]

It’s that button next to “New Posts”. Says “Forum Home” I think. :wink:

[QUOTE=Tugs;140978]Just going by the amount that you post, I would say that Yes you do live here.[/QUOTE]

NYAH! Nuts to you!

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Friday, July 11, 2014 2:29PM EDT
Last Updated Friday, July 11, 2014 6:17PM EDT

The disgraced captain of the Costa Concordia said his orders were not followed the night the luxury cruise ship crashed into a reef and capsized, leaving 32 passengers dead.
In a rare public interview, Francesco Schettino spoke out about the 2012 shipwreck, putting responsibility for the crash on the ship’s helmsman.
While Schettino has admitted he took the vessel and its 4,200 passengers off course, he said in the interview that he ordered the helmsman to turn the ship to the left, but the sailor turned to the right instead.

Schettino is currently facing multiple criminal charges in connection to the ship disaster, including manslaughter, causing the shipwreck and abandoning the vessel before the evacuation of all its passengers had been completed.
If convicted, Schettino could face decades in jail.
Five crewmembers implicated in the shipwreck have already pleaded guilty.
The interview was conducted by Italy’s consumer protection agency, which has launched a civil lawsuit on behalf of survivors of the Costa Concordia disaster. The agency spoke to Schettino as part of the evidence-gathering process.
The lawsuit argues that it’s not just Schettino who’s responsible for the crash, but that the owners and builders of the ship were also negligent.
The interview comes days before an unprecedented operation to refloat the Costa Concordia is set to begin off the Tuscan island of Giglio.
The salvage, currently scheduled for Monday, is the largest-ever attempted for a passenger ship.
Tanks attached to the ship’s sides will be used to float the ship to the port of Genoa, where it will be dismantled.
With a report from CTV’s Ben O’Hara-Byrne

I can’t fucking believe this. This shit captain (or is it Captain Shit?) is trying to pass the buck on the the guy steering the boat! Since when does an argument like that fly in the maritime world? Last time I checked, even if the captain is not on the bridge, the ship is HIS responsibility! What a fucking tool.

[QUOTE=TrainMan;141003]I can’t fucking believe this. This shit captain (or is it Captain Shit?) is trying to pass the buck on the the guy steering the boat! Since when does an argument like that fly in the maritime world? Last time I checked, even if the captain is not on the bridge, the ship is HIS responsibility! What a fucking tool.[/QUOTE]

great post TrainMan but a small bit of advice to you shipmate…

when you use profanity you must use ALL CAPS to highlight it or the invective simply get adsorbed into the text.

now try repeating after me: “I can’t FUCKING believe this” or spice it up a bit and write “I can’t FUCKING BELIEVE THIS!” or go full down and write “I CAN’T FUCKING BELIEVE THIS GODDAMNED EMM EFFING SHIT SPEWING ASSCLOWN!”

see how adding a bit of inflection really makes the statement?

and if you really truly want to impale the cretin right through his bloated gut, post a photo of him in a Speedo!

sorry in advance…

Point taken. Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

[QUOTE=c.captain;141008]great post TrainMan but a small bit of advice to you shipmate…

when you use profanity you must use ALL CAPS to highlight it or the invective simply get adsorbed into the text.

now try repeating after me: “I can’t FUCKING believe this” or spice it up a bit and write “I can’t FUCKING BELIEVE THIS!” or go full down and write “I CAN’T FUCKING BELIEVE THIS GODDAMNED EMM EFFING SHIT SPEWING ASSCLOWN!”

see how adding a bit of inflection really makes the statement?

and if you really truly want to impale the cretin right through his bloated gut, post a photo of him in a Speedo!

sorry in advance…[/QUOTE]

Have you no decency man?

That’s almost as awful as me in a two piece bikini.

And is that a Ron Jeremy money shot all over his face in that last one??/

none that I know of…

That’s almost as awful as me in a two piece bikini.

Cat, I am sure you look just fine in a two piece provided it is a relatively conservative one, however no overweight man with a body like Shittino’s should ever been seen by any other human in a Speedo. Such a societal crime should demand life in prison without parole and if seen in a thong should demand life without parole and permanent cellmates with a con who looks like this…

And is that a Ron Jeremy money shot all over his face in that last one??/

lock Shittino up with him for life and the cretin will have paid for all his sins…

definitely paid in full!

Some of you older folks might not get this but the guys my age will. :smiley:

Well I tried…

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;141136]Some of you older folks might not get this but the guys my age will. :smiley:

Well I tried…[/QUOTE]

I can’t see those or click to open. Wonder if it’s me or the ships internet?? hmmm…

[QUOTE=catherder;141196]I can’t see those or click to open. Wonder if it’s me or the ships internet?? hmmm…[/QUOTE]

no Cat…couldn’t open a damned thing either