Sea Bag

Pack lite, pack for your position
Work clothes and sensible work shoes. Forget about heavy work boots, all you will do is damage your knees. I use low cut laced redwings. Comfortable and lite. You gotta carry all your gear around, airport to airport if international. Weight costs money. Extra bags cost money. Travel lite

A USB battery pack, most people use their phone as an alarm clock and your nearest charging point may not be near your pit, charge up a USB pack whilst you’re on watch and then you can recharge your phone next to your head whilst you sleep.

If you’re deep sea then a two way sat communicator like a Garmin inReach means you’re not reliant on ships systems of varying quality and availability to keep in touch with home.

A good multi tool and sheath. One where the blade can be opened one handed ideally.

Definitely.

Books are way too heavy. A good e-reader is an excellent investment.

1 Like

…and turn up late to their watch. Get a small alarm clock.

Why does a smartphone not work perfectly as an alarm clock?

Too many variables, battery, sound settings, automated settings such as DST changes etc. Have had people turn up late because of a stupid phone… well, use an alarm clock. Never been late since I started going to sea. Your G-Shock or Timex works well, too. Or don’t use it. Don’t give a shit. Just my opinion.

1 Like

Aren’t you just the perfect lil sailor boy.

3 Likes

The iPad I bring is loaded with books as well as charts because they are so easy and quick to download when I find something I want to read right away. So yeah, paper books are superfluous but I bring along one or two anyway.
I don’t have an explanation for it other than to say that I find satisfaction reading books on paper that reading from a screen doesn’t provide. It’s a small luxury I allow myself. Call me old school.

One big disadvantage to e-books is you can’t give it to someone else to read when you’re finished. Or leave it in the ship’s library. Before e-books a lot of the crew would have read the same books.

From a reader’s perspective, I like ship’s libraries or “Irish” libraries full of paper books. From a writer’s perspective, e-books have a monetary advantage over paper. A paper book read by hundreds of people only brings in a royalty for the sale of a single book.

Why don’t you go and sit on a milk crate

3 Likes

Wtf does that even mean?

I think he’s calling you “Waffle ass”

1 Like

It used to be known as the “NMU lawnchair” if that helps.

Reminds me of an episode in the Persian Gulf when a bunch of us were on working on deck in 120 degree temperature drenched in sweat. One of the OS’s was sitting on a milk crate in the shade.
When we pointed out to him he wasn’t pulling his weight, his response was “I be sweatin’ on the inside.”

3 Likes

Gladly.

When I first started sailing in 1970 at 16, an old AB that mentored many of us kids gave me his ditty bag with palm, needles, wax and twine when he retired. I carried it for 39 years and passed it on to my young cousin when he started sailing.
I’ve been retired 10 years but when I opened my shaving kit, I still have the 71 GM timing tool and Sperry rudder repeat-back couplers that I always carried for 35 years. They got me out of a bind several times.

4 Likes

OMG. You have some gold, have you considered selling?

Back to the main post: a couple of people here said toss clothes after a trip. I do that, too. I soaked a few pair of pants in diesel this year and out they went. I use cheap-o t-shirts. Hit your local thrift store(s). You’ll find a wealth of work clothes there.

I have a Dakine roller duffel that I have used for 5 years now and it’s got a few patched holes, but it’s still a great travel bag. I have 5.11 RUSH 24 backpack I bought on sale that holds the kitchen sink, and that is my carry-on bag.

In third world countries, use the buddy system and wear old clothes to blend in and look like someone not worth targeting for money. And don’t get stinking drunk.

2 Likes