Saudi Prince Yacht Capsizes

The time to plan your exit strategy is when The Man insists on driving the thing while drinking Martini from the bottle. I learned this the hard way.

1 Like

Remember that next time you pull up to the gas pump. You are putting cash into Saudi bank accounts. At least all the money spent to buy, maintain, crew, and operate the yacht is cash out of a Saudi pocket.

Who is doing more to support the Saudis? You or that shipfitter?

1 Like

did they try and pull it out on a slip way?

We are all entitled to our opinions, but I would be quite careful if I were in a position where I was offering my services to a potential client. Even if you are the preferred bidder, spending the whole meeting trying to convince your client what he’s asking is not really what he wants and that he should rather take what they are offering even though it doesn’t really meet the need is not a recipe for success. That really happened and the client literally crossed out the shipbuilder’s name on his pad.

3 Likes

Amen. Compounding the issue is that the owner has one idea, his “owner’s rep” and project manager may have different views which include relationships that are unknown or counter to the owner’s vision. Some of which are known by the yard to border on criminal.

The secret to success with the typically less than well informed yacht client is to make sure the owner gets what his team demands but keep a solid paper trail that shows who made what decisions and when.

The customer is always right, even when he is very wrong. Yacht design is an emotional exercise for the owner.

Here is the video of her being refloated.

1 Like

Right!

False equivalency and what-aboutism

Ha Ha, that’s funny but kind of sad.

The Saudis didn’t get rich buying or selling yachts.

You’re just deflecting. I get it your buddy/dad is a yacht builder or whatever. Cool.

I just tell my clients what I think, the best solution is, etc, and that’s it. I don’t waste my time!
Re topic I assume the owner added to much heavy stuff (weight) up top to impress friends and, when there was no fuel/ballast (weight) in the double bottom (when docking for maintenance), the thing just capsized due to lack of stability. It was just a yacht and nobody got hurt. The Master at US$ 25k/months is not supposed to check stability. Only his bank account!

This could be well the cause of the capsize also because I miss signs of heavy hoisting equipment, cranes etc. on the photos of the accident.

Or more likely it just slipped off the narrow cradle type of slipway they use to haul and launch at that yard.
https://www.megatechnica.gr/index.php/en/deltia-typou/video-gallery.html

lots of disasters with slipways and megayachts, I wouldnt let my owner go near one

I must say that could also be a probable cause.

Deck Edge Immersion! Nice, way to go