Saltchuk Buys Tropical Shipping for $220 Million

This just in on gCaptain today:

Saltchuk Acquires Caribbean Shipping and Logistics Company Tropical Shipping for $220 MillionBY GCAPTAIN STAFF ON APRIL 7, 2014

A subsidiary of Seattle-based Saltchuk Resources, one of the nation’s leading transportation and petroleum distribution companies, has entered into a binding purchase and sale agreement to acquire Tropical Shipping, a subsidiary of New York-listed AGL Resources, Inc. (NYSE: GAS), and its related companies for approximately $220 million.

The acquisition includes the Bahamas and Caribbean-focused shipping and logistics company, Tropical Shipping and all of its related transportation, consolidation and cargo insurance companies.

Tropical and its related companies will become Saltchuk’s sixth line of business with its international foreign flagged shipping and logistics operation. Tropical will continue to operate as a standalone operation.

Saltchuk says the addition of Tropical Shipping furthers the company’s commitment to the Caribbean market, which for the past fifteen years has been serving the people of Puerto Rico through Sea Star Line, its U.S. flag operation. Tropical’s foreign flag fleet provides service to the balance of the region, Saltchuk says.

With the addition of Tropical, Saltchuk will employ 7,500 people nationwide.

“Most importantly, Tropical shares our values. The Company has a strong safety culture, has the best on time service in its region, and is committed to giving back to the communities which it serves,” said Saltchuk Chairman Mark Tabbutt and President Tim Engle in an announcement to employees. “All of the traits that make our other companies so strong can be found also at Tropical.”

The sale is expected to close within the next 90 days.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Tropical Shipping. I like that some of their boats are old American-built OSV’s from the gulf (some dating back to the 50’s I think!) and I like the idea of a run from Palm Beach to the USVI’s. Sounds like a pretty cushy set up if you ask me. I don’t think they hire American mariners, which is a bit odd because they’re going from U.S. soil to U.S. soil but it’s the caribbean so anything goes, I guess… Whatever the case may be I hope that being bought out by Saltchuk means that they will expand their U.S. operations and continue to bolster the fledgling domestic fleet, and if we’re lucky, hire American mariners.

OM fucking G!

[QUOTE=c.captain;134682]OM fucking G![/QUOTE]

Penny for your thoughts?

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;134683]Penny for your thoughts?[/QUOTE]

How GODDAMNED much money dors Saltchuk have?

They just bought an entire company for almost the same price as Matson is about to pay for ONE SHIP.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;134689]They just bought an entire company for almost the same price as Matson is about to pay for ONE SHIP.[/QUOTE]

That is a very smart observation!

Saltchuk is a good company and I am glad to see them growing. It would be even nicer to see them get into the Gulf OSV business.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;134731]That is a very smart observation!

Saltchuk is a good company and I am glad to see them growing. It would be even nicer to see them get into the Gulf OSV business.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if they will help me buy the McDONNELL if I win the bidding? Would be peanuts to them and I am a hometown boy!