Sailing as a cadet-when you're not a cadet?

Is it possible to sail as a cadet (i/e at cadet wages) when not a cadet? Has anyone done this?

I REALLY want to get back on a ship- and get more experience/sea time. Pay is a secondary concern for me.

Any experience with this?

[quote=Ordinaryseaman;12220]Is it possible to sail as a cadet (i/e at cadet wages) when not a cadet? Has anyone done this?

I REALLY want to get back on a ship- and get more experience/sea time. Pay is a secondary concern for me.

Any experience with this?[/quote]

No experience with that particular situation…I do have an idea though., If money isn’t a concern…Why don’t you work for me in my position and I’ll pay you 10 % of what the net is after I get paid…Win win for both of us…:smiley:

Sure Shellback- I’d be happy to. (Seriously) BTW- I sent in my resume today…

I haven’t worked since October. I’m also starting to think about the Navy and/or Coast Guard. I really don’t like the 4 year commitment- but at least it’s on the water…

[quote=Ordinaryseaman;12224]Sure Shellback- I’d be happy to. (Seriously) BTW- I sent in my resume today…

I haven’t worked since October. I’m also starting to think about the Navy and/or Coast Guard. I really don’t like the 4 year commitment- but at least it’s on the water…[/quote]

Good deal, I’ll be talking with him in the next 2 weeks …I’ll have him keep an eye out for it…

Ya, October is a long time…We need to find you something before you become usless …:smiley:

I went the Navy route, out of high school…It was the right thing for me…I didn’t realize it until later though…You already seem to have a direction accompanied by passion…Why not do some more cruise ship work in the mean time?

“Why not do some more cruise ship work in the mean time?”

I’d love to!:slight_smile: Or any other vessel…

I’ve applied at every cruise line (including the International ones) a minimum of 4 times- no results except from Cruisewest. They called me after my 6th application- said they were interested- then nothing.:confused:

I’m a pretty positive person- but I think it’s time for me to change my strategy…

What is your current rating? Try NOAA or Stabert marine out of seattle I am not looking but set out a couple of emails had two offers in less than 24 hours

Just curious, what kind of offers did you get?

Re; offers?

most of the responses/offers I get from e-mail inquiries is a not so user friendly job application…no explaination of what the job is about…no salary range/benefits…no work schedule…no personal contact information…seems that either the HR people don’t have a clue or are “too busy” to care…can’t wait for when the present situation “turns arround” and the companies have to start combing the corn fields of the heartland for warm bodies to crew the boats!

Thanks-I’m curious too BullyJohn.

I have an application on file with NOAA- for general vessel assistant. I just checked online-I keep getting referred to the hiring manager- but never hear anything…
<table summary=“This table shows the applicant status for the following announcements”><tbody><tr bgcolor="#808080"><th id=“announcement” width=“20%” align=“center”>[B]ANNOUNCEMENT #[/B]

</th> <th id=“jobtitle” width=“20%” align=“center”>[B]JOB TITLE[/B]

</th> <th id=“vacstatus” width=“10%” align=“center”>[B]VACANCY STATUS[/B]

</th> <th id=“appstatus” width=“10%” align=“center”>[B]APPLICATION STATUS[/B]

</th> <th id=“comments” width=“40%” align=“center”>[B]COMMENTS[/B]

</th> <th id=“email” width=“40%” align=“center”>[B]Email[/B]

</th> </tr> <tr bgcolor=“silver”><td rowspan=“1” id=“15732” title=“announcement” align=“center”>NMAO-2008-0006</td> <td rowspan=“1” title=“15732 jobtitle” align=“center”>General Vessel Assistant (Ordinary Seaman/Fisherman, Wiper)</td> <td rowspan=“1” title=“15732 vacstatus” align=“center”>Application Received</td> <td title=“15732 appstatus” id=“grade28” align=“center”>Grade 28:Applicant referred to the hiring official.</td> <td title=“15732 comments grade28” align=“center”>No Comment</td> <td title=“15732 email grade28” align=“center”><input name=“SUBMIT_ORG~1~SUBMIT_JOB~15732” value=“EMAIL” class=“Vac_List_Btn” type=“submit”></td> </tr> <tr bgcolor=“silver”><td rowspan=“1” id=“23052” title=“announcement” align=“center”>NMAO-2009-0013</td> <td rowspan=“1” title=“23052 jobtitle” align=“center”>General Vessel Assistant (Ordinary Seaman/Fisherman, Wiper)</td> <td rowspan=“1” title=“23052 vacstatus” align=“center”>Application Received</td> <td title=“23052 appstatus” id=“grade28” align=“center”>Grade 28:Applicant referred to the hiring official.</td> <td title=“23052 comments grade28” align=“center”>No Comment</td> <td title=“23052 email grade28” align=“center”><input name=“SUBMIT_ORG~1~SUBMIT_JOB~23052” value=“EMAIL” class=“Vac_List_Btn” type=“submit”></td> </tr> <tr bgcolor=“silver”><td rowspan=“1” id=“23999” title=“announcement” align=“center”>NMAO-2009-0041</td> <td rowspan=“1” title=“23999 jobtitle” align=“center”>General Vessel Assistant (Ordinary Seaman/Fisherman, Wiper)</td> <td rowspan=“1” title=“23999 vacstatus” align=“center”>Application Received</td> <td title=“23999 appstatus” id=“grade28” align=“center”>Grade 28:Applicant referred to the hiring official.</td> <td title=“23999 comments grade28” align=“center”>No Comment</td> <td title=“23999 email grade28” align=“center”><input name=“SUBMIT_ORG~1~SUBMIT_JOB~23999” value=“EMAIL” class=“Vac_List_Btn” type=“submit”></td></tr></tbody></table>

As for Stabbert-seems like an interesting outfit:)
I’ve applied online 4(?) times- and have called Chela several times (always got her voicemail)- never gotten a call back though…

Seadawg- thanks! I’m still applying- I’ll find something eventually…

And if anyone is reading this- happy to sail as a cadet:)

My info on Stabert, is that they hire on short notice …Otherwise persistance and personal visits are going to be the way…

Chela, was very personable and I like her attitude…

Everyone I’ve spoken to has said that! I just emailed again- and will be calling again tomorrow…:slight_smile:

One of my classmates sailed as a cadet, he was done with SUNY maritime but caught in a licensing snafu, so he was not yet 3/m. He signed on as cadet just to get on the ship, but was actually standing the second mates watch for him. They all loved this arrangement. after he got his license he went back as 3/m with the appropriate pay.

I really don’t like the 4 year commitment- but at least it’s on the water…