Sail cargo Project - Costa Rica

I don’t think those involved in the project envision that all the sudden we’re all going to switch back to wood and sail. Merely to prove that it is possible in a niche market, and to promote a sustainable future.

Auxiliary sail, but it is being done in the pacific: http://svkwai.com

Do we know that they intend a West Coast trade?

2 Likes

Fascinating website. Loved reading the logs/blogs. From the photos it seems they also had contract to pick up floating junk nets.

Pretty cool. And Kwai has been doing it for a while now, I think they started in 2006. Previously the owner had experience with small break bulk ships running specialty lumber from South America to the East Coast USA, and before that he was involved in other small cargo under sail operations.

There are more making a go of it, Ceiba style:

So, not really a cargo on the same model that modern carriers use. Instead high cost low volume items, often sold directly to the consumer, not through multiple distributors or reshipped via truck, etc. But still, pretty cool I think. We don’t all have to do the same thing.

2 Likes

These types of operations don’t make much money but can survive servicing niche markets or small islands that are off the main commercial transportation grid using sails and reliable auxiliary power. The Kwai is powered with a Detroit Diesel so it’s not totally dependent on sail. It operates in an tropical environment that sounds pretty sweet. The Puntarenas to BC itinerary on sail alone is a long hard slog.

Yes, I believe this is one of the vessels that was buying boat lumber in Guyana and sailing it direct to boatyards in New England for resale. Some years ago, I knew a Canadian-American mariner that crewed on her in the South Pacific.

There is plenty of info available via their site, including their business model, which apparently nobody wants to read and would rather speculate…

This is literally the route they identify for northern travel.

Their budget identifies $30k/yr in port fees

The crew is 12 persons, with an additional 12 guests/trainees/additional

Yes, we do. Their proposed port list identifies: Costa Rica, Peru, Galapagos, Hawaii, Vancouver, CA

In their business plan under Strategic Weaknesses:

May need to apply for Lloyds/SOLAS exemption as a wooden ship.

I don’t know. But as their Founder and at least two Board members are Canadian and have experience both in tall ship sailing projects as well as caribbean cargo sail ships, I guess the answer is yes? Looking at their list of corporate and industry partners and legal advisors I’d suggest they actually put some thought into this.

For those wanting more numbers, etc: Ceiba Business Plan

6 Likes

One wonders what the cost premium per ton looks like for this vs a small (but much larger than 9 feu) general cargo ship burning green bunkers.

I for one found no such business model on their website…just that you can ask for their “exclusive investor pack”

but who cares anyway…this is more of some exercise in hippy feelgood dreaming than any practical endeavor.

Not that it matters, since I linked it, but on the About Us page of the website, halfway down, just over the CEO photo is a button that says “Business Plan” that downloads the Business Plan.

But you’re right, this very isn’t the future of shipping.

here is a single photo which to me says a great deal about this vessel and those building her…can you see what I see?

I see the filtches of sawn frames fastened together with bolts.

That’s not very traditional. They should be fastened with wooden trunnels. So that they don’t “strike iron” when fastening the planking and ceiling with square cut nails.

even worse than that…they are not galvanized! they won’t even be there anymore in three years after the hull hits salt water. obviously, this ship is being built on the cheap without any thought to it lasting any length of time…echoes of the replica BOUNTY here!

The more I learn about this escapade, the more I am convinced it is a huge scam to bilk wannabee do-gooder investors out of their cash

1 Like

Stainless maybe?
Didn’t commercial sail move to steel when they were able to? If they don’t have a generator they’ll be pumping their asses off.

my eyes are telling me that those are not stainless

of course they did as is made for a lighter hull which had more volume to carry cargo for a given displacement…that and not having to man the pumps continuously

I cannot tell what the fasteners are made out of.

I wouldn’t be too impressed with Made in China bolts, galvanized or not.

Well built relatively new wooden boats don’t leak much. And that was long before modern products like Thikol and 5200 became available.

“well built” being the operative term here

how do we know what the bona fides are of those constructing this ship since nobody has built one like it in many decades? Maintenance is not the same as building one from keel up

Sailing vessels have been built and rebuilt with similar construction methods in recent years. There are people around with the skills and experience.

For one of the most famous boats sailing, look at the Wikipedia entry for Bluenose II, built 1963, major rebuild 2009. As the goodwill ambassador for Nova Scotia she has tens of thousands of miles on her. She’s also a fast boat that does14 knots in good breeze.

I don’t know anything about the experience or skills of the people building this vessel in Costa Rica, but they may have hired very experienced and skilled boatbuilders.

You guys are killing me.

1 Like

I have family in Lunenburg where the Bluenose is home berthed. I’ve sailed on the 1963 rebuild as well as the one completed in 2012. The original was used in a 1937 movie about fishing on the Grand Banks. If you can get past the cheesy storyline there’s priceless film footage of these grand old fishing schooners under sail.
Captains Courageous movie trailer:

1 Like

NFW are those bronze bolts.

3 Likes