Rum

I worked a salvage job near Riohatcha, Guajira in the '70s. NOT a tourist destination! Their favorite drink was a rum by-product called Aguardiente. It’ll make you eat shit and bark at the moon!

For black rum I am a fan of Black Seal.

Was in Bermuda drinking with a nice fellow by the name of Chili Bop, and was entertained by his style when ordering a Dark and Stormy at the bar :

“Rum and Ginger … lots of ice … don’t fuck around!”

It’s great to see another mariner that knows the Abaco’s! I’ve been known to spend some time over on Lubbers Quarters

New England!

I am guessing New Bedford at those prices?

You got the state right. It’s strictly a MA thing I guess…foul dens of regular alcoholics ripping mixed drinks out of pint glasses during morning/daytime hours

GlawChesta?

[QUOTE=z-drive;107749]You got the state right. It’s strictly a MA thing I guess…foul dens of regular alcoholics ripping mixed drinks out of pint glasses during morning/daytime hours[/QUOTE]

Crows Nest in Gloucester?

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;107735]It’s great to see another mariner that knows the Abaco’s! I’ve been known to spend some time over on Lubbers Quarters[/QUOTE]

Spent about three winters running a sailboat out of there in the late 70s, headquartering at the Conch Inn.

So any suggestions where can I get a conch burger in the States?

[QUOTE=z-drive;107749]You got the state right. It’s strictly a MA thing I guess…foul dens of regular alcoholics ripping mixed drinks out of pint glasses during morning/daytime hours[/QUOTE]

You obviously have not been to the “Smoke Shop” or “Hatties Hat” on Ballard Avenue in good ol Ballard, Warshington, US of A but they don’t drink rum there…just rotgut booze!

I have been partial to Angostura 1824. . . fine rum from Trinidad. . . . need to get down there and get some more. . . one of the few things that I like about TT. . .

Yes! Ill ad it to my to-do list. The hardcore locals my way like VO and the finest (cheapest) well vodka available.

It’s really about the opening time, if the place is busier in the morning before lunch than it is after dinner it’s a winner!

Nope, but been there, done that enough times after fishing, tend to stay out of town these days. If you have to do Gloucester Pratty’s on the other side of the harbor actually may be more of what you’d expect. That’s where all the working boats left these days tie up. decent looking daughter pretty well involved in running the joint these days too. For New Bedford the Brown jug or ebb tide in fair-haven are right up that style. Almost any “private club” in MA will be quite an experience.

[QUOTE=c.captain;107778]You obviously have not been to the “Smoke Shop” or “Hatties Hat” on Ballard Avenue in good ol Ballard, Warshington, US of A but they don’t drink rum there…just rotgut booze![/QUOTE]

Do they still allow smoking in the Smoke Shop? If I get lung cancer I know it can only be from the times I was foolish enough to into that place.

Awe the Crows Nest, many a day I made the opening and closing while holding the bar up in between. Don’t imagine that English Bar Maid is still there, naw that was forty years ago. She must be a fathom under. When on vacation I do make the stop at the Lodge (Easterly Inn) for chowder and a pint of Gloucester’s daily special. For a great rum try Cacique out of Venezuala. Hard to find. But we’ll worth it.

I only drink the finest rum.

Kirkland Signature Spiced Rum.

/sarcasm

[QUOTE=z-drive;107792] For New Bedford the Brown jug or ebb tide in fair-haven are right up that style. Almost any “private club” in MA will be quite an experience.[/QUOTE]

New Bedford has to be Knuckleheads. Cheap drinks, 1 block from the waterfront, raudy bar crowd. What more can a mariner ask for?

[QUOTE=flyboy14295;107801]I only drink the finest rum.

Kirkland Signature Spiced Rum.

/sarcasm[/QUOTE]

Probably nothing wrong with it? Check the label to see who distills it. Likely one of the bigger names in the business like Mt Gay.

I was first introduced to Bacaridi Anejo while fishing in Walkers. I can taste it now…

[QUOTE=critter;107822]I was first introduced to Bacaridi Anejo while fishing in Walkers. I can taste it now…[/QUOTE]

I’ve always enjoyed Ron Anejo Aniversario, goes down smooth.