Replica Viking ship capsized off Norway

One person is missing after a ship with six people capsized near Stad

There were six people on board the ship which capsized outside Stad on Tuesday evening. Five have been rescued, but one person has not been identified. A major rescue operation was launched after the ship sent a distress signal just after 19.30. The five who were picked up are now housed in Florø:
Source: Redningsaksjon ved Stad etter naudsignal frå fartøy – NRK Vestland

The rescue boat “Idar Ulstein” arrives at the town at 10 p.m. There should be up to 35-40 knots of wind in the area and waves of 5 metres:

PS> The report is updated regularly.

2 Likes

Missing woman found dead after Viking ship capsizes

The search for the boat and the missing woman has been ongoing since the Viking ship capsized on Tuesday:

The Viking ship that was wrecked during preparations for the expedition. Photo: Sail2North
(Not exactly a “Longship” (fighting ship), or “Knarr” (trading ship used for ocean crossings)

It was the Coast Guard ship KV “Bergen” that found the Viking ship. The missing woman in her 20s was found a few hundred meters away from the wreck.
On Wednesday morning, the rescue operation ended, and the search for the presumed dead person began.

• Relatives have now been notified. The police will not release the name of the deceased today, writes operations manager Morten Rebnord in a press release.
    The deceased is an American woman in her 20s.

The search for the missing woman has continued throughout the night, after the Viking ship capsized on Tuesday evening outside Stad .
The deceased woman will undergo an autopsy. Coast guard ship KV “Bergen” will try to hoist the Viking ship on board.
Altogether there were six people in the boat, all foreign nationals.
The other five, who are from Switzerland and the Faroe Islands, were rescued and transported to Florø where they are taken care of by crisis teams.

The police announced on Wednesday morning that they had held brief conversations with those who survived, and that a case would be opened.
The other five, who are from Switzerland and the Faroe Islands, were rescued and transported to Florø where they are taken care of by crisis teams.
The police announced on Wednesday morning that they had held brief conversations with those who survived, and that a case would be opened.

According to the Faroese media, we are talking about an open Viking ship called “Naddoddur”, named after the Norwegian Viking navigator Naddodd who is said to have discovered Iceland in the 8th century.
The ten-metre wooden ship with two masts is said to have been built according to Faroese tradition, and sailed from Tvøroyri in the direction of Norway. The trip was initially supposed to take between three and five days, writes local.fo.
The crew set out on a journey from the Faroe Islands to Norway on Saturday as a tribute to a Viking who made a similar journey:

• There are very difficult search conditions, both from the air and the sea. There is poor visibility, strong wind and waves, and also occasional strong showers. It is difficult, said rescue manager Oddgeir Andersen to VG.

Source: Vikingskip kantret utenfor Måløy

1 Like

Latest update:
On Wednesday afternoon, the Coast Guard towed the Faroese boat into the quay in Måløy. One woman died after it capsized in Stadhavet on Tuesday evening:

On Wednesday afternoon, Naddoddur arrived at the port in Måløy.
Photo: Håkon Vatnar Olsen / NRK

Source: Kystvakta sleper den færøyske båten Naddoddur til land i Måløy – NRK Vestland

Here from the website local.fo:

PS> According to the Facebook page of the Faroese boat team Naddoddur, the boat was launched in 1997. That year should also have been the last time the boat was in Norway, writes NRK . According to the plan, the boat was to be received by Kystlaget Trondhjem at Fosenkaia in Trondheim. The team’s manager Jan-Petter Hubert Hansen says to NRK: (smp.no)

More info about the “Naddoddur”:

A sad business.

@ombugge please keep updating this in English as you have. I’d like to follow along in the investigation. Thanks.

I wonder what the crew were wearing when they capsized. We conduct somewhat similar voyages, albeit on the sheltered Salish Sea/Inside Passage. Our crews wear kayaker drysuits, and it’s a complete game changer. You can do physical work in them, unlike a survival suit, and unlike a “Mustang suit” they keep you dry/warm if immersed. With a kayaker’s drysuit on and wearing a PFD someone can last a surprisingly long time in cold water, especially if the base layer is fleece.

The other thing to learn is what tactic they used when the weather came up.

1 Like

For those not familiar, a kayaker dry suit is basically gore tex coveralls with latex neck/ankle/wrist gaskets, not the neoprene drysuits divers wear. You can later underneath. I’ve paddled in one in 33F water 20 F air temps and was comfortable.

3 Likes

Replicating a trip to the Faroe Islands done in the 8th century with 8th century boats is an interesting endeavor. But I wonder if they thought about the many unsuccessful trips the 8th century explorers made before they were successful? Hoping that you’ll be the one that made it instead of the many that died is a little crazy. I hope they didn’t cheat and use a EPIRB or similar modern device to summon help and deliberately put other lives a risk with their 8th century adventure.

Yes they were repeating a trip made in the 8th century in ar boat replica of a 19th century Faeroe fishing boat, but with some modern amenities (incl. a life raft)
The boat was built in 1997 and did it’s first overseas trip to Norway that same year.
Since then it has made several trips across to European mainland and to Iceland.

I will not speculate on why they didn’t accept assistance after the first emergency call, nor what they were wearing on the trip. We will get a preliminary report fairly quickly and a final report in due course.

Sunnmøre Museum here in Ålesund has a collection of replica boats:
From left; “Burgund Knarren”, “Kvalsund skipet”, a longship, the Kvalsund boat, and a typical “Sunnmørsåtting” used for fishing off the coast up to abt. 1900 (8 pairs of oars) Seen here under sail:

Source: Viti | Båtsamlinga

The last is not unlike the the Noddoddur, only a bit bigger and with a different type of sail, known as “asymmetric square sail”.

I think it would be awesome to make such a journey. But I’m also in my 30s and in decent shape. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Thank you for the updates Ommbuggee

1 Like

Latest update from smp.no:

Google translation.
Source: – Den omkomne kan ha blitt slått bevisstløs og druknet - smp.no

2 Likes

Update from smp.no:

Google translation.
Source: Alle hadde på seg overlevings­drakter: – En stor bølge har trolig veltet båten - smp.no

Latest update from smp.no:

2 Likes

I wonder if they were riding to a sea anchor when they capsized or if they were still underway.

1 Like

Apparently not according to this article in “Bergens Tidende”:

Google translation
Source: Politiet: Henlegger vikingbåthavari

Nothing but sympathy for the crew.

Wave from astern…were they running before the wind? Odd for rough weather in an open boat. Or maybe it was just confused seas.

I see from a photo the mizzen mast has a spritsail. If the boat’s two masts were fore-and-aft rigged it would be a cat ketch, some of which have an advantage in bad weather. Reefing a mizzen and slacking the sheet with the rudder hard over often weather-vanes the bow into the wind, giving the crew time to rig a sea anchor. Spritsails are more clunky, because you top them up rather than reef them. But it may have done the same thing, and maybe that was what they were trying to do. Ride out the blow with the mizzen sail.

She perished in the Viking expedition near Stad

Karla Dana (29) died when the Viking ship “Naddoddur” capsized outside Stad.
Photo: Sail2North

Eirik Meling. Updated: 25 minutes ago

American Karla Dana (29) died during the Viking voyage outside Stad on Tuesday.
She was one of six in the crew that traveled from the Faroe Islands. The replica of a Viking ship was going to Ålesund, but capsized outside Stad.
It is Sail2North that writes in a statement that it is Karla Dana who died when the boat “Naddoddur” capsized. They also share her picture.

• Our deepest condolences go to Karla’s family, friends and everyone who had the privilege of knowing her. We express our deepest condolences and support, and we hope they find comfort in the fond memories of Karla and the profound impact she had on our lives, writes Sail2North.

VG first reported on the case.
Published: Friday 30 August 2024 at 11:22 Updated: 25 minutes ago
Google translation
Source: https://www.smp.no/nyheter/i/AvR5yA/hun-omkom-i-vikingferden-ved-stad

Further info from BBC World News:

3 Likes

What a shame. I cannot imagine caring enough about Vikings to
want to do that journey in that boat.

Karla Dana was an anthropologist, primarily an ethnographic field researcher which explains what she would have been doing aboard that vessel.

Ethnography, same term was used to describe Edwin Hutchins who studyed navigation teams aboard Navy ships.

2 Likes