Rendering of the new National Security Multi-Mission Vessel

[QUOTE=c.captain;182527]set you straight for what exactly?[/QUOTE]

Nothing it seems :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kraken;182528]Nothing it seems :)[/QUOTE]

go have some salted Cod tongues and wash em down with Akvavit

must be like eating a plate of slugs

Somebody please find me a picture of those small ā€œtoy shipsā€ that the guys sit in and practice maneuvering inā€¦the ones that are the size of bumper cars. Do they still use those? I remember seeing them in maritime rags 5 or 10 years ago.

you mean these STOOPID wankers?

[QUOTE=z-drive;182506]no they are good as long as theyā€™re supplemented with good in the water training. We have kongsberg and transas systems, and regularly upgraded.[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha what the fuck??

Now I want one!

[QUOTE=c.captain;182529]go have some salted Cod tongues and wash em down with Akvavit

must be like eating a plate of slugs[/QUOTE]

Excellent eating, but I prefer them fresh not salted. Makes a very good curry, or just fried.
One of the first things I did when arriving in Norway was to buy Cod tongues and Cod cheeks. Akevit is a given of course.
Those two items are the best part of the fish. The fillets goes to America to be made into Fish Burgers, Fish Fingers and whatever else can be made to not taste of fish at all.

[QUOTE=Kraken;182477]
All maritime schools in Norway have a Bridge Simulator.

https://www.google.no/search?q=simulator+bodin&espv=2&biw=1841&bih=997&tbm=isch&imgil=DNATM1Y2b_snLM%3A%3BWL7StuKGj7vmNM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.bodin.vgs.no%252Fvare-tilbud%252Fmaritimt-kurssenter%252Fbrosimulatoren%252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=DNATM1Y2b_snLM%3A%2CWL7StuKGj7vmNM%2C_&usg=__IoVmeD1xE9TRd1voOtdXKg9JNOw%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiC0bTJku7LAhUDlSwKHYP2A7gQyjcILw&ei=IMj-VoLBC4OqsgGD7Y_ACw#tbm=isch&q=kongsberg+bridge+simulator[/QUOTE]

I now live a stones throw from maybe the most advanced Simulator Center for the Offshore industry in the world, at the Norwegian Maritime Competence Center here in Aalesund: http://www.nmcc.com/en/about/norwegian-maritime-competence-center/
Unfortunately I havenā€™t visited yet, but I do intend to do so in the not so far future.

[QUOTE=johnny.dollar;182544]Somebody please find me a picture of those small ā€œtoy shipsā€ that the guys sit in and practice maneuvering inā€¦the ones that are the size of bumper cars. Do they still use those? I remember seeing them in maritime rags 5 or 10 years ago.[/QUOTE]

There were Rigmove training centre somewhere, where they had small ā€œtugsā€ and a small replica J/U in a lake to train both rigmovers and tug skippers. Run by a former Rigmover from Santafe, but canā€™t remember his name off the cuff.

[QUOTE=c.captain;182546]you mean these STOOPID wankers?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, those! I always wonder are they useful?

edit: hereā€™s the full article with more picsā€¦looks fun http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3300377/Warsash-Maritime-Academy-s-Ship-Handling-Centre-trains-captains-scaled-models-boats.html

[QUOTE=johnny.dollar;182581]Yes, those! I always wonder are they useful?

edit: hereā€™s the full article with more picsā€¦looks fun http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3300377/Warsash-Maritime-Academy-s-Ship-Handling-Centre-trains-captains-scaled-models-boats.html[/QUOTE]

From what Iā€™ve heard they are excellent training tools, far better than a bridge simulator.

Here is the description of the Port Revel Training Center (in the French Alps!) >>>

http://www.portrevel.com/

[QUOTE=ombugge;182557]There were Rigmove training centre somewhere, where they had small ā€œtugsā€ and a small replica J/U in a lake to train both rigmovers and tug skippers. Run by a former Rigmover from Santafe, but canā€™t remember his name off the cuff.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that it was Roger Dutton. . . .

ha ha mass maritime has some too, Iā€™m sure the wanker factor is ten-fold there.

[QUOTE=cmakin;182747]Pretty sure t at it was Roger Dutton. . . .[/QUOTE]

You are right, it was Roger Dutton. I worked with him several times, but that is some years ago now. I was checking out and certifying Rigmovers for Santafe. He was the Marine Rep during moves, if I remember right.

Do you know if he still run the training center and his mini rig/tugs, or has he gone to all simulator training now?

[QUOTE=ombugge;182760]You are right, it was Roger Dutton. I worked with him several times, but that is some years ago now. I was checking out and certifying Rigmovers for Santafe. He was the Marine Rep during moves, if I remember right.

Do you know if he still run the training center and his mini rig/tugs, or has he gone to all simulator training now?[/QUOTE]

Donā€™t know. I was working with one of his guys on a claim last year. . . an another who was with Rigmovers is a friend, but I donā€™t see his name on that site any longer. I will have to say that any of them that I have worked with seemed capable and knowledgeable.

looks like Congress defies logic and prudend fiscal discipline and funds these piles of PORK!

WHAT ULTIMATE WASTE! (except for the contractors who will make bank on this IDIOCY!)

1 Like

I agree completely.

Maybe MARAD ought to buy Americaā€™s Finest for the academies to share and send the cadets out fishing. They would really learn something doing that.

As a taxpayer, Iā€™d rather pay for these than new Navy ships with their out of control cost overruns and frequent breakdowns.
As someone who had to sail on the TSES VI, Iā€™m jealous.

4 Likes

I 100% agree with this sentiment. Iā€™m glad theyā€™re getting funded. Weā€™ve need a replacement, and Iā€™d much rather have spending going towards SMAs. This is the kind of rebuilding of the US fleet that I want to see, not black hole pits like KP or the latest USN ships.

3 Likes

Not to mention the benefit to the schools and students is going to be huge. SUNY is going to become a lot more attractive now for a lot of kids looking at college, especially maritime colleges. I think itā€™s going to improve the quality of the education, students, and increase the pride in the school.
Some people will never be happy though. There are forum members that bitch and moan about the decline of the US merchant marine but then also complain about things like this. This is a huge win for all stakeholders.

2 Likes