Rendering of the new National Security Multi-Mission Vessel

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;180868]Most new thirds want to learn their profession, not get babysat.[/QUOTE]

the operative word being “learn”…in a perfect world they would have learned their profession in the course of their training and education but we all know that regardless of school, very few freshly graduated officers are “ready” to safely assume the duties expected of them until they actually do learn how to do the job later after they have entered the industry. This only shows how EFFING RIDICULOUS maritime academy training in the US really is!

[QUOTE=c.captain;180872]the operative word being “learn”…in a perfect world they would have learned their profession in the course of their training and education but we all know that regardless of school, very few freshly graduated officers are “ready” to safely assume the duties expected of them until they actually do learn how to do the job later after they have entered the industry. This only shows how EFFING RIDICULOUS maritime academy training in the US really is![/QUOTE]

Well, at least on OSVs I never saw a newly licensed hawsepiper that WASN’T completely useless. But that was a culture where the deckhand hung it in the lounge all night and worked outside all day. With 2 officers on the bridge at all times there was never a need for ABs to actually stand a navigation watch.

I’ve gone up the Chesapeake before listening to that. I finally yelled in the radio for everyone to STFU. That gets super annoying very fast.

[QUOTE=cali deckie;180870]If you are near major traffic areas then its a good idea for the captain to be up there even if he is just doing paperwork he would have been doing down in his office. Just think empress of the north[/QUOTE]

There is an entire set of procedures, instuctions, practices and so forth with regards to calling the captain and procedures with regards to watchstanding under different circumstances.

Dealing with traffic is something that most new mates get better at fairly quickly with experience and with some guidance from more experenced officers. If new mates can’t follow instructions regarding getting assistance when needed they go home.

All of the schools should have pitched in and rescued the SS Unites States long ago. It would have plenty of berthing and could have diesels added for ships power for motor license training. They cold have passed it around to each school on a rotating basis. Maybe have two schools share it each summer and pass on to the next. Just spitballing but seems like a way to have preserved the ship and get use from her.

That’s not too bad an idea assuming the renovation costs are reasonable.

yes, Gary chouest could have gave the gummint one hell of a deal on the project

can we get back to discussing the next generation of maritime academy training ships?:

[QUOTE=c.captain;180959]can we get back to discussing the next generation of maritime academy training ships?:[/QUOTE]

Physical ships are obsolete, don’t ya know?

[QUOTE=johnny.dollar;180961]Physical ships are obsolete, don’t ya know? [/QUOTE]

of course! virtual reality training for all new seagoing officers is perfect since the majority of them can’t get their faces off of some bloody screen.

[QUOTE=c.captain;180988]of course! virtual reality training for all new seagoing officers is perfect since the majority of them can’t get their faces off of some bloody screen.[/QUOTE]

It’s just an arcade with an ocean view.

All maritime schools in Norway have a Bridge Simulator.

https://www.google.no/search?q=simulator+bodin&espv=2&biw=1841&bih=997&tbm=isch&imgil=DNATM1Y2b_snLM%253A%253BWL7StuKGj7vmNM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.bodin.vgs.no%25252Fvare-tilbud%25252Fmaritimt-kurssenter%25252Fbrosimulatoren%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=DNATM1Y2b_snLM%253A%252CWL7StuKGj7vmNM%252C_&usg=__IoVmeD1xE9TRd1voOtdXKg9JNOw%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiC0bTJku7LAhUDlSwKHYP2A7gQyjcILw&ei=IMj-VoLBC4OqsgGD7Y_ACw#tbm=isch&q=kongsberg+bridge+simulator

yes, we have them too.

[QUOTE=z-drive;182503]yes, we have them too.[/QUOTE]Good :slight_smile:

Was some hostility from c.captain against a wonderfull tool in school training.

no they are good as long as they’re supplemented with good in the water training. We have kongsberg and transas systems, and regularly upgraded.

[QUOTE=z-drive;182506]no they are good as long as they’re supplemented with good in the water training. We have kongsberg and transas systems, and regularly upgraded.[/QUOTE]

That’s a given, but the possibility to go right from the classroom to testing out the new knowledge in a simulator is valuable.

agreed. Yes minimum character count

[QUOTE=Kraken;182477]
All maritime schools in Norway have a Bridge Simulator.

https://www.google.no/search?q=simulator+bodin&espv=2&biw=1841&bih=997&tbm=isch&imgil=DNATM1Y2b_snLM%3A%3BWL7StuKGj7vmNM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.bodin.vgs.no%252Fvare-tilbud%252Fmaritimt-kurssenter%252Fbrosimulatoren%252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=DNATM1Y2b_snLM%3A%2CWL7StuKGj7vmNM%2C_&usg=__IoVmeD1xE9TRd1voOtdXKg9JNOw%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiC0bTJku7LAhUDlSwKHYP2A7gQyjcILw&ei=IMj-VoLBC4OqsgGD7Y_ACw#tbm=isch&q=kongsberg+bridge+simulator[/QUOTE]

You apparently completely missed the point of his post about VR headsets, which is NOT a full mission bridge simulator.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;182522]You apparently completely missed the point of his post about VR headsets, which is NOT a full mission bridge simulator.[/QUOTE]

I don’t doubt it, sometimes I miss the nuances of the English language. Or I just jumped to a conclusion. c.captain just have to set me straight, and I will apologise :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kraken;182523]c.captain just have to set me straight, and I will apologise :)[/QUOTE]

set you straight for what exactly? Frankly, I don’t give two rat’s asses for any of this bloody nonsense anyway…