Reinauer?

That’s basic towboatin…

“Acting As Pilot” of Inspected Coastwise Seagoing & Great Lakes Tank Barges ≤10,000 GRT
Must be 21 years of age.
Must complete 12 round trips over the pilotage route, including 3 during hours of darkness for authority to do night transits.
Must have recency. Aka at least one trip within the last 5 years.
Must have at least 6 months of serv- ice aboard towing vessels engaged in towing activities.
Must have an annual physical examination. (Now bi-annual)

Trips from my understanding need only be on the type of vessel relevant to what you’re doing, I think one could get away with light boat experience but from a court/company point of view they would usually want to see trips with a barge if they asked. Vane doesn’t seem to stress out about recency from my observations.

[QUOTE=z-drive;130738]That’s basic towboatin…

“Acting As Pilot” of Inspected Coastwise Seagoing & Great Lakes Tank Barges ≤10,000 GRT
Must be 21 years of age.
Must complete 12 round trips over the pilotage route, including 3 during hours of darkness for authority to do night transits.
Must have recency. Aka at least one trip within the last 5 years.
Must have at least 6 months of serv- ice aboard towing vessels engaged in towing activities.
Must have an annual physical examination. (Now bi-annual)

Trips from my understanding need only be on the type of vessel relevant to what you’re doing, I think one could get away with light boat experience but from a court/company point of view they would usually want to see trips with a barge if they asked. Vane doesn’t seem to stress out about recency from my observations.

http://towmasters.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/federal_pilotage_requirements4.pdf[/QUOTE]

Wow. Ok. So even bi-annual physicals. Guess I would be doing alot of riding.

Also 4 of those trips can be light boat.

There are SO many companies to work at, as Paddywest sez, it’s all about what fits YOU.

You can dredge through so many posts on Gcaptain and find the honest truth about just about any towing company in the US. (with a few from outside the US to boot).

How many companies have you heard of who don’t care if you have anything more than a TWIC, a license and a Pulse? Boatruk comes to mind.

Then there’s the other end of the spectrum.

Some companies actually care if licensed officers have had a DUI. (Or gotten yourself completely discharged from one) Some care if you are actually qualified to ‘legally’ operate their vessels using ‘self certified recency’ (as Towbiz seems to be unaware) And others (as mentioned) may have had ‘their past’ catch up to them, between drug testing and showing up for the berth. (hey, it happens!)

Look at Vane Bros ads in Maritime Reporter. What’s the caveat? ‘NY harbor or New England experience preferred.’ It’s there for a reason.

Looking over some of these comments make one wonder why, and who would post, complain, then wonder why they aren’t called back…

You’re either completely qualified or… You go to work for some second rate company that bends the rules, cuts corners, or doesn’t know how to get good contracts.

The mention of Bouchard is pretty revealing. I know of NO other companies equipment that is so nice as theirs. It’s too bad Morty is attached to it. Sort of like choking on the bile of a 20’ heave vomit comet, just to get a paycheck. Sure, we’ve all been there. But do we really want to stay there?

[QUOTE=Tugted;130755]Also 4 of those trips can be light boat.[/QUOTE]
Don’t think so… Unless the towing vessel is over 200GT. ON a towing vessel. I believe the wording is: a similar working vessel, meaning not a yacht, outboard, or ferry.

It depends upon what has happened, and who is asking. An astute inspector will know the difference, and be looking for dissimilarities on your story. If you turn up to not have 12 actual trips they will look harder for something else to dig on.

[QUOTE=TractorTug;130762]Don’t think so… Unless the towing vessel is over 200GT.
It depends upon what has happened, and who is asking. An astute inspector will know the difference, and be looking for dissimilarities on your story. If you turn up to not have 12 actual trips they will look harder for something else to dig on.[/QUOTE]

Why can’t I edit the post? The trips must be on like vessels that you are applying for. Trips on tugs for tug trips. Trips on skiffs, ferries, or other yachts don’t count. Too many times people have pulled out magical trips on outboards, and their sailboats to try to skip the trip count. But, you’re correct about the 2/3s of the 12 trips may be just light tug.

[QUOTE=TractorTug;130761]There are SO many companies to work at, as Paddywest sez, it’s all about what fits YOU.

You can dredge through so many posts on Gcaptain and find the honest truth about just about any towing company in the US. (with a few from outside the US to boot).

How many companies have you heard of who don’t care if you have anything more than a TWIC, a license and a Pulse? Boatruk comes to mind.

Then there’s the other end of the spectrum.

Some companies actually care if licensed officers have had a DUI. (Or gotten yourself completely discharged from one) Some care if you are actually qualified to ‘legally’ operate their vessels using ‘self certified recency’ (as Towbiz seems to be unaware) And others (as mentioned) may have had ‘their past’ catch up to them, between drug testing and showing up for the berth. (hey, it happens!)

Look at Vane Bros ads in Maritime Reporter. What’s the caveat? ‘NY harbor or New England experience preferred.’ It’s there for a reason.

Looking over some of these comments make one wonder why, and who would post, complain, then wonder why they aren’t called back…

You’re either completely qualified or… You go to work for some second rate company that bends the rules, cuts corners, or doesn’t know how to get good contracts.

The mention of Bouchard is pretty revealing. I know of NO other companies equipment that is so nice as theirs. It’s too bad Morty is attached to it. Sort of like choking on the bile of a 20’ heave vomit comet, just to get a paycheck. Sure, we’ve all been there. But do we really want to stay there?[/QUOTE]

Thankyou for the reply tractor. Please understand the points of my questions it would be this: Why am I not getting called back? What were peoples opinions of reinauer and kirby? Recency was never discussed in my application or resume’ when I applied. Yes I was unaware of the requirements of recency. I knew there were requirements …that is why I asked what the requirements are. I was mostly interested in time frame and in what capacity due to my previous employment. Many companies have training programs such a mate trainee which allow you to become comfortable with the boat, route, and lead to the NOW known recency requirements.
So the idea of working for some half a** company illegally is a poor plan B to recommend. If they are bending the rules for compliance in one area then where else are the rules being bent?

A company like reinauer can handpick who they hire. They are not hurting for people and like Bouchard does not tolerate nonsense, although In different ways. One old timer in my younger days explained Morty’s philosophy: “if I’m paying you big bucks to run my equipment, it’s because I expect you to not be smashing things up. Want to smash shit up go work someone else.” From what I know about Reinauer right now is that there isn’t always a wheelhouse opening to be hired for. I know well qualified guys with ATB experience and northeast recency not getting the shot there.

If they want you they will call you back. And applying by mail or electronically won’t do anything much of the time. It’s the kind of place you really could benefit from having a few friends at to get that foot on the door.

[QUOTE=Towbiz;130774]Thankyou for the reply tractor. Please understand the points of my questions it would be this: Why am I not getting called back?[/QUOTE]
Because these people get hundreds of app a month. (don’t know the actual number) They are pretty astute at whittling through the apps to figure out who is (as put earlier) with all their ducks in a row. (and even who knows what the ducks ARE to be in a row)

[QUOTE=Towbiz;130774]What were peoples opinions of reinauer and kirby? [/QUOTE] They hire sporadically (as the company is growing) They don’t necessarily hire each month. People always send in apps. They always review them as they see good ones they call on them.

[QUOTE=Towbiz;130774] Recency was never discussed in my application or resume’ when I applied. Yes I was unaware of the requirements of recency. I knew there were requirements …that is why I asked what the requirements are. I was mostly interested in time frame and in what capacity due to my previous employment. Many companies have training programs such a mate trainee which allow you to become comfortable with the boat, route, and lead to the NOW known recency requirements. [/QUOTE] Actually, to an astute observer they were discussed. You were asked (typically) where have you worked? What locations? What type barges have you towed? Not being too much of a wise ass, but if your answer was: Around NY harbor, doing assist work, and an occasional tow around NY harbor, then you either didn’t ‘sell yourself’ well, or you didn’t know ‘how’ to word it. (this is probably true in your case, as you described it.

[QUOTE=Towbiz;130774]So the idea of working for some half a** company illegally is a poor plan B to recommend. If they are bending the rules for compliance in one area then where else are the rules being bent?[/QUOTE]
That is certainly not my best recommendation for employment. It is just to make the observation that MANY companies out there are indeed operating like the last sentence. Most employees (at these other companies) are blissfully unaware that there is even a difference. But, (and this is why places like Reinauer have such a ‘niche’ of customers and many MANY 15, 20, 30 and even 40 year employees) this is the difference between the different companies. The other guys who commented is a 10 year ‘newbie’. But even he likes Reinauer!

Someone asked, why is Reinauer good. Tough question. There are up sides, and down sides as mentioned. But the good far outweighs the bad. I have worked at several companies during my career. I will probably work elsewhere (especially if Reinauer gets bought out by Kirby) But, it’s been a great place to work. Yeah, the layoffs in '08 sucked. It is not that Reinauer is ‘Good’ It is just that it is WAY lots better than the alternative!

You mentioned ‘training programs’. Reinauer (like most companies) had a form of training back in '05 to '08. They had about 40 extra deckhands, just so training could be done. Then the recession hit. They found it too cost prohibitive to keep so many trainees around. They stopped the program. They laid a LOT of us off. Poof. Gone. But they have mysteriously hired (being REALLY picky with only the GOOD guys) most of the movers and shakers back over the last year or two. Go figure. But regarding training, I do not know of any companies that hire ‘just’ trainees anymore. You have to do your deckhands job, (well) and also pay attention to the training part. It’s time and labor intensive. Not impossible. (I did it!) But, there’s no Gimmes. Only reward for work put in.

You are describing a position that is not in existence at Reinauer. “[I]Many companies have training programs such a mate trainee which allow you to become comfortable with the boat, route[/I]” You describe a 3 watch boat with two mates doing ‘sea buoy to sea buoy’ watches, with the Master doing the ‘pilot waters’ watch. Most (if not all East Coast) companies do not subscribe to this type of manning. They run a two watch system, with both the Master AND the Chief Mate being fully qualified to operate the vessel at sea, in port, making and breaking tow, and docking and undocking. The 12 hour work rule is religiously adhered to. Think about it this way. If you were a Mate on a towboat, on a two watch system, if you needed the Masters help, then he would be up (off watch) and would be violating his 12 hours rest as mandated by the regulations. You either follow the rules or you don’t.

I will say, Just in my personal observations that the deckhands who are capable of doing the deckhands jobs WELL, and paying attention to the rest of the experience necessary to matriculate up the ladder are FAR better boatmen than guys (sorry school kids) who just ride, as a ‘mate trainee’ and watch a little bit, and expect to mash the throttles next trip. This ‘trainee’ thing is not something that is just learned in a couple trips, and certainly not something that would let me sleep when a 30 day wonder is at the wheel.

I’ll give you one helpful hint on your resume. Remove the word ‘Relief Captain’ from your vocabulary. You are either the Master, or you are the Mate. Period. Personnel sees through that word just like the term First Captain, Second Captain, Third Captain, Fourth Captain, Barge Captain, etc etc etc etc.

Regarding recency, this is what has gotten many companies in hot water over the last couple years. Guys have gone places and not had recency. If they had an accident, they get a slap on the wrist by the USCG. Reinauer makes damn sure they are crossing their I’s and dotting their T’z religiously. And woe to those who don’t. You mentioned that you weren’t ‘aware of recency’. That is a HUGE red flag to anyone you talk to. If you didn’t know about it, how could you legitimately operate a boat and be following the laws? Combined with the ‘Relief Captain’ title makes some suspicious.

If you get caught lying (especially on a job app, or during an interview) you probably won’t even know you got caught. (This may explain they other mentioned periods of silence) But you won’t know it. You just get deleted. Personal recommendation goes a LONG way at Reinauer. If someone knows of you, about you, or knows someone you mentioned during an interview you can bet your ass that has been looked into. Non response means one of two things: Either they were up to their assholes in alligators that day in the office (and your app got stuck into the bottom of some unknown file,) OR they weren’t impressed with you. It’s pretty simple. But, keep in mind that almost ALL these personnel people know (or at least have a professional knowledge of) the competitors HR department. There isn’t much you can BS them with. A simple phone call around the coast gets them all the info they need to get a handle on your reputation, your history, your driving record, and above all your last job.

I would love to know the how’s and why’s of the guy who drove up for a job to be not hired… Something doesn’t sound quite right about that. There’s more to the story I bet!

Last time I was in the office I heard Barbara had 1k resumes to choose from. Ive got almost a decade in @ Reinauer and its a good place to be, the office treats you like a human, no bouchard hire and fire drama.

[QUOTE=TractorTug;130779]
I would love to know the how’s and why’s of the guy who drove up for a job to be not hired… Something doesn’t sound quite right about that. There’s more to the story I bet![/QUOTE]

I’m sure you would like to know more and yes there is more to the story, but frankly, it’s none of your business.

Then your comment wasn’t appropriate to bash Reinauer over, was it? I don’t really care what. But you phrased this as if it was Reinauer’s fault. It’s funny how the whole story brings about a new outlook.

Guess so, huh?

Years ago I had a GREAT job. I got caught porking the owners daughter… I got shitcanned. But I don’t go around bashing that guy like it’s his fault. I man up and accept my ‘faite’.

Sometimes our Opinion is not the truth. and other times the truth is the only opinion. Knowing which is which may be what separates the ducks from being orderly!

[QUOTE=TractorTug;130791]Then your comment wasn’t appropriate to bash Reinauer over, was it? I don’t really care what. But you phrased this as if it was Reinauer’s fault. It’s funny how the whole story brings about a new outlook.[/QUOTE]

Bashing Reinauer? Hardly. Simply providing an example of shabby treatment.

No big deal though, their loss.

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;130789]Last time I was in the office I heard Barbara had 1k resumes to choose from. Ive got almost a decade in @ Reinauer and its a good place to be, the office treats you like a human, no bouchard hire and fire drama.[/QUOTE]

Is there still a Port Engineer named Ron working for them?

[QUOTE=TractorTug;130779]Because these people get hundreds of app a month. (don’t know the actual number) They are pretty astute at whittling through the apps to figure out who is (as put earlier) with all their ducks in a row. (and even who knows what the ducks ARE to be in a row)

They hire sporadically (as the company is growing)  They don't necessarily hire each month.    People always send in apps.  They always review them as they see good ones they call on them.

Actually,  to an astute observer they were discussed.   You were asked (typically) where have you worked?   What locations?  What type barges have you towed?       Not being too  much of a wise ass,  but if your answer was:    Around NY harbor, doing assist work,  and an occasional tow around NY harbor,   then you either didn't 'sell yourself' well,  or you didn't know 'how' to word it.   (this is probably true in your case, as you described it.  

That is certainly not my best recommendation for employment. It is just to make the observation that MANY companies out there are indeed operating like the last sentence. Most employees (at these other companies) are blissfully unaware that there is even a difference. But, (and this is why places like Reinauer have such a ‘niche’ of customers and many MANY 15, 20, 30 and even 40 year employees) this is the difference between the different companies. The other guys who commented is a 10 year ‘newbie’. But even he likes Reinauer!

Someone asked, why is Reinauer good. Tough question. There are up sides, and down sides as mentioned. But the good far outweighs the bad. I have worked at several companies during my career. I will probably work elsewhere (especially if Reinauer gets bought out by Kirby) But, it’s been a great place to work. Yeah, the layoffs in '08 sucked. It is not that Reinauer is ‘Good’ It is just that it is WAY lots better than the alternative!

You mentioned ‘training programs’. Reinauer (like most companies) had a form of training back in '05 to '08. They had about 40 extra deckhands, just so training could be done. Then the recession hit. They found it too cost prohibitive to keep so many trainees around. They stopped the program. They laid a LOT of us off. Poof. Gone. But they have mysteriously hired (being REALLY picky with only the GOOD guys) most of the movers and shakers back over the last year or two. Go figure. But regarding training, I do not know of any companies that hire ‘just’ trainees anymore. You have to do your deckhands job, (well) and also pay attention to the training part. It’s time and labor intensive. Not impossible. (I did it!) But, there’s no Gimmes. Only reward for work put in.

You are describing a position that is not in existence at Reinauer. “[I]Many companies have training programs such a mate trainee which allow you to become comfortable with the boat, route[/I]” You describe a 3 watch boat with two mates doing ‘sea buoy to sea buoy’ watches, with the Master doing the ‘pilot waters’ watch. Most (if not all East Coast) companies do not subscribe to this type of manning. They run a two watch system, with both the Master AND the Chief Mate being fully qualified to operate the vessel at sea, in port, making and breaking tow, and docking and undocking. The 12 hour work rule is religiously adhered to. Think about it this way. If you were a Mate on a towboat, on a two watch system, if you needed the Masters help, then he would be up (off watch) and would be violating his 12 hours rest as mandated by the regulations. You either follow the rules or you don’t.

I will say, Just in my personal observations that the deckhands who are capable of doing the deckhands jobs WELL, and paying attention to the rest of the experience necessary to matriculate up the ladder are FAR better boatmen than guys (sorry school kids) who just ride, as a ‘mate trainee’ and watch a little bit, and expect to mash the throttles next trip. This ‘trainee’ thing is not something that is just learned in a couple trips, and certainly not something that would let me sleep when a 30 day wonder is at the wheel.

I’ll give you one helpful hint on your resume. Remove the word ‘Relief Captain’ from your vocabulary. You are either the Master, or you are the Mate. Period. Personnel sees through that word just like the term First Captain, Second Captain, Third Captain, Fourth Captain, Barge Captain, etc etc etc etc.

Regarding recency, this is what has gotten many companies in hot water over the last couple years. Guys have gone places and not had recency. If they had an accident, they get a slap on the wrist by the USCG. Reinauer makes damn sure they are crossing their I’s and dotting their T’z religiously. And woe to those who don’t. You mentioned that you weren’t ‘aware of recency’. That is a HUGE red flag to anyone you talk to. If you didn’t know about it, how could you legitimately operate a boat and be following the laws? Combined with the ‘Relief Captain’ title makes some suspicious.

If you get caught lying (especially on a job app, or during an interview) you probably won’t even know you got caught. (This may explain they other mentioned periods of silence) But you won’t know it. You just get deleted. Personal recommendation goes a LONG way at Reinauer. If someone knows of you, about you, or knows someone you mentioned during an interview you can bet your ass that has been looked into. Non response means one of two things: Either they were up to their assholes in alligators that day in the office (and your app got stuck into the bottom of some unknown file,) OR they weren’t impressed with you. It’s pretty simple. But, keep in mind that almost ALL these personnel people know (or at least have a professional knowledge of) the competitors HR department. There isn’t much you can BS them with. A simple phone call around the coast gets them all the info they need to get a handle on your reputation, your history, your driving record, and above all your last job.

I would love to know the how’s and why’s of the guy who drove up for a job to be not hired… Something doesn’t sound quite right about that. There’s more to the story I bet!

Good info. thanks. I DID know about recency though thats why i asked what was needed. I knew it was going to be a problem that i cant say i have 3 years exp. or whatever in new york harbor ( i know this is not the reg. but alot of companies ask this for a minimum in their ads.) I do believe you are right though that i should remove the “relief” from my resume. seemed like a good idea. Guess i was trying to "sell myself."
And as far as lying on an app, i do know better. I would love for them to dig through every corner of my life and even call Moran and other captains here to find out what kind of employee i am. I think it would be a much better way to hire people than trying to figure out there life by reading a paper. I understand this would be labor intensive and they are looking for the cut and dry version. I would also like them to say here. dock this 150,000 bbl water barge (imaginary practice barge) and lets see what you got. I understand this will not happen but again, I would be able to sell myself better.
I have also never been ashamed to work deck either. I rather enjoy it. I would probably take an A.B position AGAIN and learn the ropes and wait for a position, problem is having a mortgage its kinda hard to go backwards in pay.
Well anyway thanks for the information and insight.

[QUOTE=Tugs;130800]Is there still a Port Engineer named Ron working for them?[/QUOTE]

How long ago did you work at Maritrans? With him? Yes he’s there. He does shipyard work/ tugs.

It’s interesting to see what others think about the company you work for. Reinauer is pretty picky about who they hire. Right now even deck hands need a license to be considered. Mates have to have 1600 NC with a towing endorsement and they do not hire captains. All Captains are hired from within regardless of how long you skippered somewhere else, they prefer to hire mates from within as well. If you’re not getting called back you could email her and ask what qualifications you’re missing so you can try to get them. Just don’t have them miraculously appear on a new resume in 2 months. She has heard and seen it all and has a very good BS detector.

Great post TractorTug. I think you’re spot on. Many of the deckhands there at Reinauer have at least a 500ton if not a 1600ton. The line is not short to move up as a mate. One must complete Reinauer’s own USCG TOAR…3x with 3 different captains signatures. Then and only then will one be considered for a “training position”. Barbara is fair but she is a hard ass as well. They say they promote within…sometimes they do…sometimes they don’t. And the comment about getting hired as a captain is true, you will be hired as mate not a Captain. And to second another comment: We don’t have “relief captains” up here in the NE. Either you are the captain or you are the mate. The mate does the exact piloting job as the skipper minus some paperwork and “overall” responsibility. I’ve been up here in NY for all of my NC experience. This is a different not better or worse…just different place to work. As stated in previous posts, they take recency very fucking serious up here. There is a reason, you can run up into a lot of shit if you don’t know where you are. Tides and currents play a major factor up here as well. Reinauer is a great company and Moran is good as well. Good luck in your search. Stay loose.

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;130843]. And the comment about getting hired as a captain is true, you will be hired as mate not a Captain. And to second another comment: We don’t have “relief captains” up here in the NE. Either you are the captain or you are the mate. .[/QUOTE]
That is not just a N.E. thang. Most companies that work day for day do not have relief captains no matter what body of water they work on. The only place I have ever seen that term used is the companies that work 2 for 1. There you have a master that works the entire hitch on days, a mate that works the entire hitch on nights, then one guy that works 1/2 a trip as mate then switches watch’s and works captain the rest of his hitch. That guy is the relief captain. The only company in the world that I know of that has a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 9th captain is ECO. no one else even in the GOM does that from what I have seen.

Sometimes the questions that get answered are not just to answer the questions asked by the OP, but to answer the general feeling of what is happening with the post. It seems to me that some of the answers given are pretty generic (meaning they apply to more that one company) But some people think they only apply to this question or their particular part of the question. It would appear that people think they can BS their way into a job. Some company HR are sharp enough to see through the smoke screen of Bullshit.

Other companies just want a live body, damned the small print. Somebody else said it on here: If youre breathing your hired. Not every place is like that. It would appear that Reinauer is one of them. Crowley is another. I am sure there are more out there. Some companies I have heard of run in cycles. They hire whoever walks in the door when they need someone. Then they get super picky when times are slow. Or you could go down to the Bayou with a packed bag and cross the gangway the same day. It all depends on what you need for money and self respect. Where is Oicur12 or BouchardCaptain when you need them to liven up the discussion?