READ THIS FIRST! If you are looking for a job, includeing you just graduated cadets

Hey John - Can we make this thread a “Sticky”?

Obviously needs a bump

Still waiting on that sticky.

BUMP. If you want more information than this thread has to offer, the Search function on the gCaptain website/iDevice app/Android app will save you from asking questions that have already been answered. Ditto on the search function for schedules, pay, company cultures, benefits etc.

Bump …,

Many of you are already aware that I am happy to offer mariners a discounted rate of $60/night while looking for work or going to school in the area.
My B&B is centrally located to all of the companies on LA Hwy 1 and LA Hwy 308, LA Hwy 90 East and West, making it a great spot.
Although I realize that many of you may not have stayed at a B&B before.
When checking in, please be courteous to arrive after 3:00 pm and before 7:00 pm. (Preferably, no late check-ins)
I run this B&B on my own and don’t have a front desk.
I have noticed recently that some mariners are thinking they can arrive at 9;00pm or 10:00pm and expect to "pick my brain about companies in the area"
Other B&B guests are sleeping at this time and I am usually whining down.
If I can be of help to you, please call to make reservations in advance, if possible.
Thanks for everyone’s understanding.

Claudette L. Pitre
A Chateau on the Bayou Bed & Breakfast
3158 Hwy 308
Raceland, LA 70394
(985) 537-6773
FB page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/A-Chateau-On-The-Bayou-Bed-Breakfast-Claudette-L-Pitre/121896531157165?fref=ts

Bump,…

Bump back to the top.

Someone get John to make this a sticky thread soot doesn’t plummet deep again

[QUOTE=nazeal;115339]Someone get John to make this a sticky thread soot doesn’t plummet deep again[/QUOTE]

There are many ways to contact me - via email, private message, facebook, LinkedIn or telephone. You could also contact Mikey or Rob or, if you’re feeling creative, contact mypublicist who’s paid by my book publisher to keep tabs on me. Hell even if I was floating on a liferaft in the Pacific there are people who could help you track me down.

But, FYI, posting “somebody get John” on a random thread doesn’t always work :wink:

Hehe true. My bad. Thanks a bunch John!

I credit the GCaptain site, but most importantly the good advice summarized in the original post in this thread, for giving me the good info I needed to get a job on an OSV in the GOM. I am here now, and so happy i made the move.

Kudos and thanks to every member of this site who “pays it forward” by sharing their knowledge here.

Stupid question, but could you expand a little on the packing list? I’ve spent many years in the Coast Guard but all at small boat stations…Needless to say my seabag was filled with uniforms. I am getting ready to possibly start a new job as an OS and don’t want to feel stupid asking my new employer what I should pack for a 28 day rotation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just noticed that this got stickied…finally!!

[QUOTE=“Mike_Skywalker;118160”]Stupid question, but could you expand a little on the packing list? I’ve spent many years in the Coast Guard but all at small boat stations…Needless to say my seabag was filled with uniforms. I am getting ready to possibly start a new job as an OS and don’t want to feel stupid asking my new employer what I should pack for a 28 day rotation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Steel toe boots and work clothes, about a weeks worth. You can ask your company what PPE they provide (like gloves, safety glasses, and such) or if you need to bring your own.

Shampoo body wash. Guy got on the boat today asking and said whoops.

[QUOTE=“t.mcg;121389”]

Shampoo body wash. Guy got on the boat today asking and said whoops.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, toothpaste, shampoo, etc. Everyone I have worked for has provided bars of soap but take some anyway, just in case.

Shower shoes Medication/advil etc Something to sleep in (shorts, tshirt)

Toiletries

Multi-tool, gloves, small flashlight

Any favorite/gotta haves like bandannas or support socks or insoles

Make sure your boots fit, breaking in new boots on a hitch is ill advised.

Goodwill/salvation army is a great place to find t-shirts and even Carhartts. If you do engine oil changes you will need a set of grubby duds (in my case, a boiler suit) that you can afford to toss when they get bad enough.

Keep track of all your expenses (open a separate bank account for all expenses work related). I write off about $300 a year in jeans/tees /socks as I am an engineer and don’t have a hasmat permit to carry my oily clothes home so they get tossed every trip. Shoes and other expenses are separate. Buy a good pair of work shoes or boots as you will be in them on your feet a long time. Keep your mouth shut and your ears open. The first post is great advice.

Thanks! Really good info.