Radar renewal?

Why in the world do we still have to renew radar & take a refresher class. It’s a total waste of time cause you don’t use it in the real world. Why hasn’t the uscg gotten rid of it??

[QUOTE=Tugted;120799]Why in the world do we still have to renew radar & take a refresher class. It’s a total waste of time cause you don’t use it in the real world. Why hasn’t the uscg gotten rid of it??[/QUOTE]

if your ARPA functions crap out and let’s say your/their AIS (which came way after ARPA) is also wrong (often true) you can still use radar plotting sheet to get it done. it’s same basic mathematics ARPA is using, so i think it’s fair and prudent that we should know it too.

same thing to be said for paper charts vs. ECDIS and obviously good ole fashioned LOTFW.

if you ever had to take flashing light exam, that’s where this question should be directed…

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;120801]if your ARPA functions crap out and let’s say your/their AIS (which came way after ARPA) is also wrong (often true) you can still use radar plotting sheet to get it done. it’s same basic mathematics ARPA is using, so i think it’s fair and prudent that we should know it too.

same thing to be said for paper charts vs. ECDIS and obviously good ole fashioned LOTFW.

if you ever had to take flashing light exam, that’s where this question should be directed…[/QUOTE]

Took flashing light & that was a waste of a morning as well.

[QUOTE=Tugted;120804]Took flashing light & that was a waste of a morning as well.[/QUOTE]

yeah, well they got me 4 times.

[QUOTE=“Tugted;120804”]

Took flashing light & that was a waste of a morning as well.[/QUOTE]

Morning? Mine was done in less than 30 minutes during the guy’s lunch break… The schools make about $300 per hour for that shit!

[QUOTE=Tugted;120799]Why in the world do we still have to renew radar & take a refresher class. It’s a total waste of time cause you don’t use it in the real world. Why hasn’t the uscg gotten rid of it??[/QUOTE]

[SARCASM]The real world? What’s that…? How do you go there?[/SARACASM]

[QUOTE=jdcavo;120836][SARCASM]The real world? What’s that…? How do you go there?[/SARACASM][/QUOTE]

Don’t worry, It’s not important.

When was the last time that you were on a ship with a glass plotting screen? The only one I have seen in the past 5 years or longer was on a Navy Aegis cruiser. Still had the Raytheon that it came with. I wonder what the school will do when they are unable to get a CRT monitor to plot on, LCD won’t cut it.

Times need to catch up with what is fitted today not on 30 plus years equipment

E to m to r prime works really well taking arrival in Yokohama on a Monday morning.

[QUOTE=Pilot;120860]When was the last time that you were on a ship with a glass plotting screen? The only one I have seen in the past 5 years or longer was on a Navy Aegis cruiser. Still had the Raytheon that it came with. I wonder what the school will do when they are unable to get a CRT monitor to plot on, LCD won’t cut it.

Times need to catch up with what is fitted today not on 30 plus years equipment[/QUOTE]

did you miss the whole point about radar plotting sheets and ARPA problems?

NEVER been on a ship that didn’t have at least a few pads of those sheets shoved in a drawer somewhere on the bridge.

last time i checked, they work pretty well w/o a CRT, much less a power supply.

[QUOTE=Tugted;120799]It’s a total waste of time cause you don’t use it in the real world. [/QUOTE]

You might actually be making the case for continuing to require it. You don’t use it in normal operation, and thus need to be refreshed so you have the ability to do it in the rare emergency in which it might be needed. Your case would be stronger if you said “we don’t need a refresher, we do it every day.” The point of a refresher is to remain competent on something you don’t need every day, because you might need it one day.,

[QUOTE=Pilot;120860]When was the last time that you were on a ship with a glass plotting screen? The only one I have seen in the past 5 years or longer was on a Navy Aegis cruiser. Still had the Raytheon that it came with. I wonder what the school will do when they are unable to get a CRT monitor to plot on, LCD won’t cut it.

Times need to catch up with what is fitted today not on 30 plus years equipment[/QUOTE]

Do you robotically accept anything the ARPA tells you? Do you not even put an EBL on a suspect target to watch its relative motion? If you do, then you need to know the concepts of relative motion to apply the info you’re getting. If you don’t, maybe you should.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;120877]…NEVER been on a ship that didn’t have at least a few pads of those sheets shoved in a drawer somewhere on the bridge[/QUOTE]

You can also use one of the rotating grid things used to calculate true wind direction and speed - when calculating true wind you’re doing the exact same vector analysis.

I’ve plotted relative motion with grease pencil on the bridge window; We don’t need to stinking RADAR hahahaha!

Range and bearing, radar transfer plotting sheet… Easy.

I really never understood what the big deal was about doing the recert. I don’t think it ever took me more than an hour, perhaps an hour and a half. Of course you had the ones there that wined about not doing this at sea, Yadda Yadda Yadda… But seriously, is it really a problem to plot a few radar contacts? Useful? Sure, if your Arpa goes out. One of the easier courses I ever took. Recet? A breeze… ( a day off for that matter).

I’ve been up to Yoko many times with nothing but a grease pencil doing radar plots on a screen as 3rd mate recommending course changes to the Master. Worked pretty well from what I recall, at least we survived. ( same thing in Singapore too for that matter).