Questions from a CMA applicant

LOL…“prestigious”. Just like West Point? Open Letter to Grads from LTC(ret) Heffington: | by Robert Ulisse | Medium

“I firmly believe West Point is a national treasure and that it can and should remain a vitally important source of well trained, disciplined, highly educated Army officers and civilian leaders. However, during my time on the West Point faculty (2006–2009 and again from 2013–2017), I personally witnessed a series of fundamental changes at West Point that have eroded it to the point where I question whether the institution should even remain open.”

Are you an engineer? Do you have engineer shore-life experience? Maybe others that are giving input to discussion have a few years of experience and wisdom from which he/she draws.

This is an internet forum, and the kid is going to do what he chooses to do. Best thing is to bring up options out there that he may not have heard of, and facts that he may never have thought of.

Fact: if the talk of engineering is brought up, with the potential to work shore-side, it is a FACT that the engineering degree from kingspoint MAY limit somebody in the engineering field OUTSIDE the maritime industry.

For example, depending on the state of residence, the ability to get a professional engineering license may be more difficult (if not impossible) with one of the two ABET accredited degrees from kingspoint. Conversely, none of this may ever be of any issue…but this is a brainstorming session for a 16 or 17 year that has been sold on the glamour of the sea. Some asshole on the interwebs is just giving real-world advice.

FACT: I am pretty sure I know the type of shipmate you’d be. Hopefully, I’ll never get to verify that.

Kings Point marine engineering grad working as a mechanical engineer ashore a few years after graduating. Marine Engineering grads don’t need to graduate with an ME or EE to transition to a good shore job.

Authors bio taken from an op ed in another thread:

Kate O’Connor graduated from the Merchant Marine Academy in 2013. She sailed as an engineering officer on U.S.-flag vessels and is a mechanical engineer at Naval Sea Systems Command in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

Nobody cares about your quotes. Most NAVSEA “engineers” push paper.

I missed the election nominating you to speak for the entire gCaptain community. I’m not surprised though, that’s pretty much in line with your egotistical self. And I’d prefer not to to see your smug, condescending, aggressive style of comments.

And since your bringing up quotes your last one about West Point was way off topic and your comments weren’t up to your normal standards.

Look I’ve been reading your comments on this forum for a couple years now. You clearly have alot of industry knowledge. I can tell you’re a bright guy. You make many good points on here. But there’s just something about the way you come across, aggressive and almost attacking and obnoxious comments instead of just informative that makes reading your commentary (which I will avoid from now on) unpleasant.

The result of reading your comments to other people for the past couple of years is that I just don’t like you. Of all the people on this forum you’re the only one that I can’t stand. You can have the last word. I’m done with you.

I feel honored to have such a fan that goes back and reads all my comments (stalker?). However will I sleep at night knowing a former admirer “just [doesn’t] like [me]” anymore, and is “done with [me]”?

Though, I do find your mansplaining pungent. And you need to check your privileged; your use of patronizing and non-gender-neutral “compliments” is revolting.

Something to consider as well, what happens after 10 years and you don’t love the job? Adventure becomes tiresome? wife doesn’t like you away, you find out you actually enjoy spending time with your kids, or they need you.

consider the long term applications and effects

1 Like

As I wrote earlier: “The “kid” had better be interested in doing something shoreside because his chances of sailing to retirement age in the merchant marine are shrinking by the day even if he learned to love the job.”

I think after reading this thread we scared the kid away. We haven’t heard from him since the original posts. :kissing:

Hahaha, still here. Thanks to everyone though, I’ve decided to switch from Marine Transportation to Marine Engineering following what I’ve heard.

1 Like

Smart

Advice on Going to Sea

by Robert Goodwin [First Engineer, SS Georgia]

Now son, if you have love for the sea
And think you should sailing go.
One little gem of advice take from me,
Because from experience I know.

My advice to you is to become a mate,
Of the wheelhouse and bridge have no fear.
But let me warn you before it’s too late,
Don’t study to be a first engineer.

A mate’s life is one of comparative ease,
His clothes so seldom he soils.
He stands his watch out in the cool breeze,
While far down below the engineer toils.

The engineer’s work in the grease and the heat
Boy, take it from me, it’s no fun,
Sweating and swearing, trying the job to complete,
While out on deck the mate suns.

So whatever it takes, my boy, be a mate
Or even the ship learn to steer.
But regardless of place, money, or date,
You’ll rue the day you’re a first engineer.

2 Likes

Now Sherman, if you have love for money
And think you should sailing go
One little gem of advice take from me,
Because from data-sets I know

My advice to you is be an engineer
Of the pistons and wrench have no unemployment
But let me warn you before it’s in rear,
Don’t study to be a first mate

2 Likes

Be an engineer
It’s wrenches, torches, and fun