Questions about ATBs from an industry outsider

I know of 1 case, where the vessel did “fall out of the notch”, but it was 50% operator error, and 50% mechanical issues, not strictly a failure of the systems. Best was, the captain, mate, and senior tankerman where the only crew members who had ANY towing or conventional tug experience, and the “emergency towing gear” was still neatly secured on pallets on the stern deck. Got interesting real quick.

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;146215]I know of 1 case, where the vessel did “fall out of the notch”, but it was 50% operator error, and 50% mechanical issues, not strictly a failure of the systems. Best was, the captain, mate, and senior tankerman where the only crew members who had ANY towing or conventional tug experience, and the “emergency towing gear” was still neatly secured on pallets on the stern deck. Got interesting real quick.[/QUOTE]

Those are the Happy Fun Days. . . .

This if from USCG NAVIC 2-81

Pushing Mode ITB tugs, in general, are not equipped or
capable of separating from the barge and towing on a hawser. Safety regulations and statutory requirements dependent on tonnage measurements are applicable to Pushing Mode ITBs as determined by the aggregate tonnage of the ITB combination.

This is what ended the CG’s approval of the ITBs

I know on the 750 class ATB’s at Crowley, we took pilots, and two tugs for docking. When I worked there we had a crew of 14, (capt, chief mate, 2nd mate, 3rd mate, Chief Eng, 1st Eng, 2nd Eng, 3rd Eng, 3 AB Tankerman, 2 utility, 1 cook). It was a good stable vessel. the intercon system was reliable and seemingly trouble free. She would squeak like no other once in awhile. Comparatively speaking, the state class tankers run with a crew of 20 to 21. The tankers burned far less fuel and cruised about 1-2 knots faster than a 750 class ATB, so the savings was in crewing and we could carry a little more product into shallower ports ( ie: Tampa). Talking with the intercon reps, there have been some failures of the pins, but never enough to cause the tug to come out of the notch.

[QUOTE=highseasmechanic;146224]I know on the 750 class ATB’s at Crowley, we took pilots, and two tugs for docking. When I worked there we had a crew of 14, (capt, chief mate, 2nd mate, 3rd mate, Chief Eng, 1st Eng, 2nd Eng, 3rd Eng, 3 AB Tankerman, 2 utility, 1 cook). It was a good stable vessel. the intercon system was reliable and seemingly trouble free. She would squeak like no other once in awhile. Comparatively speaking, the state class tankers run with a crew of 20 to 21. The tankers burned far less fuel and cruised about 1-2 knots faster than a 750 class ATB, so the savings was in crewing and we could carry a little more product into shallower ports ( ie: Tampa). Talking with the intercon reps, there have been some failures of the pins, but never enough to cause the tug to come out of the notch.[/QUOTE]
The 550s had a couple of pin failures due to lack of lubrication. Intercon installed more grease points. There was also one lost lock and got beat up in the notch before they could fully retract.

Intercon came and did a run thru for us, showed us some pictures of an ATB, the wheelhouse guy and deckhand mustn’t have been watching, pressed in forward of the ladder on 1 side and pushed the head of the pin into the barge hull. Try and explain that one to the office. I think the jak pins are the worst design, great for quick trips but never staying in the notch is a pain. I was on a converted ATB, and we would transfer fuel to avoid the jump when you pulled the pins. The best is when the mate and tankerman forget to pull the pins, start discharging the barge and the tug is hanging on the pins, that gets exciting.