Question regarding Master of Towing and a First class pilot endorsement

You can get FCP with tug trips in some areas. As it should be. Everyone knows it’s the tug guys who do the real heavy lifting on the water. Ship captain’s lift french roast.

Pretty sure Miami does Florida.

[QUOTE=“z-drive;98229”]A question I have is who actually evaluates FCP endorsements? I can’t see the NMC being sympathetic to pilot associations about excluding anyone as the local RECs may have been.[/QUOTE]

The ‘interpretation’ is made via COTP orders from the various zones. Note that not ALL bodies of water or routes are affected by this, it depends upon the sector and politics. Those that have enacted controls (like the ‘Unlimited FCP ( Limited to Tug and Barge Combinations’ endorsement) is usually due to Local Pilot Groups (Usually State Pilots) who are desirous of strictly limiting who can ‘freelance’ as either a docking pilot or a Federal harbor/ river pilot. NMC simply follows the current COTP orders. I believe each REC has ONE Pilotage “Expert” who reviews all applications for meeting whatever criteria they have for an area. So in reality as far as Pilots go, they are prescreened at a higher level at the local REC prior to being sent to NMC. If you think about it ALL of our applications are prescreened at the REC. They simply have a different checklist for Pilot Applications than an ordinary app.

MIami INDEED does Florida. In fact I sat my Cumberland Sound pilotage in Miami. The whole experience SUCKED due to the Evaluator. Don’t need to worry about THAT REC showing ANY favoritism to ANYONE. [QUOTE=subatomicstang;98232]Pretty sure Miami does Florida.[/QUOTE]

True. The Federal Pilots at Naval Station Mayport can only gain trips up the St Johns on Federal Vessels (USCG, MSC) - they are not welcome to ride with State Pilots.

True. The Federal Pilots at Naval Station Mayport can only gain trips up the St Johns on Federal Vessels (USCG, MSC) - they are not welcome to ride with State Pilots.

[QUOTE=cappy208;98237]The ‘interpretation’ is made via COTP orders from the various zones. Note that not ALL bodies of water or routes are affected by this, it depends upon the sector and politics. Those that have enacted controls (like the ‘Unlimited FCP ( Limited to Tug and Barge Combinations’ endorsement) is usually due to Local Pilot Groups (Usually State Pilots) who are desirous of strictly limiting who can ‘freelance’ as either a docking pilot or a Federal harbor/ river pilot. NMC simply follows the current COTP orders. I believe each REC has ONE Pilotage “Expert” who reviews all applications for meeting whatever criteria they have for an area. So in reality as far as Pilots go, they are prescreened at a higher level at the local REC prior to being sent to NMC. If you think about it ALL of our applications are prescreened at the REC. They simply have a different checklist for Pilot Applications than an ordinary app.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=z-drive;98226]What’s so complicated about this? In some places unlimited unrestricted FCP for certain routes can be attained with strictly tug barge trips over 1600 tons, or trips on conventional vessels, or a combination of the two. In other places if you only have trips with a tug/barge your FCP would be limited to “unlimited tug and barge.”

If I recall correctly 4 trips on a conventional vessel will unlimited said endorsement.[/QUOTE]

As it states in the CFR; the amount of trips required on self propelled vessels over 1600 tons is subject to each OCMI. The experience of the applicant is also taken into consideration, as well as the amount of traffic in the harbor. Someone with NO pervious pilotage endorsements may be required to meet a higher requirement than someone with multiple other endorsement and a a high level license. I know of ports where there is literally no ship traffic, and thus NO way to obtain unlimited endorsements, as our OCMI has stated that applicants who apply with tug/barge combinations only will NOT be given unlimited pilotage endorsements.

Bottom line; get to know your OCMI and have a solid case to present to them to support your application for unlimited endorsement. This is a definite gray area.