Question about Boat Launching

Good Day Everyone
While reading United States Coast Guard (USCG); 20130129; COMDTINST M3120.6, Shipboard Launch and Recovery Procedures Manual; Available online at http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/3000-3999/CIM_3120_6.pdf
There is a statement “F.1.x The cutter boat [B]shall never be launched with a bow down angle[/B].” to make a statement which I made bold a requirement I do not understand.

Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind this statement and how can it be put into practice?

Thank you for help

I believe I found the answer when I looked at the nest statement
"F.1.y A sea painter shall be used for launch and recovery evolutions when the cutter is making way. While the cutter is not making way, the sea painter is optional. The sea painter shall be attached to the boat’s trailer eye-bolt by means of a pendant connecting the trailer eye-bolt to the sea painter from the cutter. [B]A lanyard should be attached to the pendant and tended from the bow of the cutter boat during launch and recovery operations[/B]."

If you launch a boat bow down it will act like a big scoop and fill up with water and then either snap the falls or pull the whole davit assembly off the hull, depending on how well the davit is constructed and which part lets go first. When you launch a boat trimmed aft it ride the swell until you get the falls unhooked.

I’m not sure I understood what you were asking but I think that answers it. Does that about cover it?

If you launch bow down the boat will have a tendency to dig to port or starboard increasing possibility of becoming sideways. Potential swamping at the gunwales can occur.

[QUOTE=Gannet;176988]Good Day Everyone
While reading United States Coast Guard (USCG); 20130129; COMDTINST M3120.6, Shipboard Launch and Recovery Procedures Manual; Available online at http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/3000-3999/CIM_3120_6.pdf
There is a statement “F.1.x The cutter boat [B]shall never be launched with a bow down angle[/B].” to make a statement which I made bold a requirement I do not understand.

Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind this statement and how can it be put into practice?

Thank you for help

I believe I found the answer when I looked at the nest statement
"F.1.y A sea painter shall be used for launch and recovery evolutions when the cutter is making way. While the cutter is not making way, the sea painter is optional. The sea painter shall be attached to the boat’s trailer eye-bolt by means of a pendant connecting the trailer eye-bolt to the sea painter from the cutter. [B]A lanyard should be attached to the pendant and tended from the bow of the cutter boat during launch and recovery operations[/B]."[/QUOTE]

I don’t know know exactly what your “cutter” boat looks like, but I get the impression it is launched with two falls?
My best advise is get something like this to replace it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pru5MeJqI4
Near the end is the launching and recovery process while under way and in fairly rough conditions.

Here is how NOT to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QEsTnAIYlA
At least they have a self-righting FRC that does not sink.

Some CG cutter boats are launched with a single-point davit and a sling. Once crew and gear are loaded, careful consideration must be made as far as weight placement so that a “bow down” orientation does not occur when the boat is being lowered to the waters edge.

Its a very common danger when using a single-point davit, regardless of sea state. Using a dual-point davit (ie. Welen-Lambie) is much safer and is the preferred method.

The point of a seapainter has nothing to do with the actual raising and lowering of the boat.

[QUOTE=commtuna;177012]Some CG cutter boats are launched with a single-point davit and a sling. Once crew and gear are loaded, careful consideration must be made as far as weight placement so that a “bow down” orientation does not occur when the boat is being lowered to the waters edge.

Its a very common danger when using a single-point davit, regardless of sea state. Using a dual-point davit (ie. Welen-Lambie) is much safer and is the preferred method.

The point of a seapainter has nothing to do with the actual raising and lowering of the boat.[/QUOTE]

I assume that the “single point davit” you are talking about is a crane-type davit and a 4-prone sling attached on the boat like this?:

The davits used on all ERRVs and most other offshore vessels equipped with FRCs are like this: http://www.vestdavit.no/display.aspx?menuid=1&prodid=7
Here shown fitted on a Naval vessel.

To use a painter to ensure that the FRC stays under the hook without using the engine(s) is a MUST when launching and recovering while under way and in rough weather.

Here is a new ERRV with a Daughter Craft and an FRC on the same side, each with the painters permanently rigged and ready to launch at short notice:

After the Oilco had performed an exercise in their field I had an assignment to teach the crew on a standby vessel how to launch and recover their FRC. I first thought of launching while at slow speed and in calm weather, but changed my mind after a talk with the crew. I was afraid we would end up like in the 2nd video in my last post.

Thank you Ombugge for your excellent replies and supporting links

Yes, thats what Im talking about.