I don't give a shyte for any stinking language rules

WHAT THE FUCK is THIS SHIT! SIMPLE STUNNED AMAZEMENT IS ALL I CAN STATE UPON SEEING THIS TRAVESTY OF BAD SEAMANSHIP!

//youtu.be/_QEsTnAIYlA

For a minute I thought this was the Sea Shepard Clown Circus!

No sea painter.

“if she tows from the whip or the falls she may then broach to.” - Gibson’s Seamanship and Navigation"

[QUOTE=“Kennebec Captain;115048”]No sea painter.

“if she tows from the whip or the falls she may then broach to.” - Gibson’s Seamanship and Navigation"[/QUOTE]

They had a painter, you could see the guys struggling to hold it. They lost control of the painter because of improper seamanship, though.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;115049]They had a painter, you could see the guys struggling to hold it. They lost control of the painter because of improper seamanship, though.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t call that a painter, it was just a tag line. A proper painter would have been led much further forward and made fast to a cleat or something.

[QUOTE=“Kennebec Captain;115050”]

I wouldn’t call that a painter, it was just a tag line. A proper painter would have been led much further forward and made fast to a cleat or something.[/QUOTE]

Thus my comment about improper seamanship…

Shee-it. I was checking the oil in our launch today and the bosun began to deploy it with me bent over the dipstick. A real WTF moment. “I didn’t know you were in it!!” Phuck!!!

//youtu.be/w0hVUieZTvc

This video shows a crew using a sea painter. Launch action is around 2:00 to 3:00 and recovery is 10:00 to 11:00

A sea painter is used to launch or recovery boats from ships at sea that have way on.

The advantage of having way on is that the ship can steer a course that minimizes rolling and create a lee for the boat. In calm seas with no swell a boat can be launched while stopped in which case a sea painter is not needed and tag lines will suffice to control the boat as it is lowered.

The full length of a sea painter would be about two or thee times the freeboard one end is made fast to the ship, ideally though a chock then to a bitt or cleat. The other end is made fast to the boat. Often on the boat end the sea painter is made fast in such a way it can be let go while under a stain.

The ship end of the painter is adjusted so that the boat is under the falls while the ship tows the boat. Once the painter is adjusted correctly it is sometimes marked at the point where it passes through the chock so it will be adjusted properly for the next launch or recovery.

During the launch of the boat, when the boat reaches the water the falls can be released and the boat is towed along by the ship and the coxswain can steer clear of the side of the ship until the engine is available When ready the coxswain increases the boat’s speed and the painter is cast off by the boat crew and is pulled aboard the ship clear by the ship’s crew.

On recovery the boat comes alongside the ship forward of the releasing gear, matching the ship’s speed, the sea painter is passed to the boat by the ship’s crew and the boat crew makes it fast to the boat. The boat is then be slowed till it is taking a stain on the painter. When the boat engine is taken out of gear a properly adjusted sea painter should tow the boat in a position directly under the falls. Once the falls are hooked up the boat is lifted out of the water and the painter is tended by the ship’s crew, keeping the slack out as the boat is hoisted.

In the Suez Canal line boats are launched this way. Impatient canal pilots have the boats put in the water at almost hull speed for boat but the crews always seem to manage. In the Suez the boat crews adjust the painter, slacking it out as they are lowered.

Used to do it in the Coast Guard as well.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;115050]I wouldn’t call that a painter, it was just a tag line. A proper painter would have been led much further forward and made fast to a cleat or something.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, if they thought it was a painter, it sure wasn’t rigged far enough forward. Looked more like a breast line! :slight_smile: