Proposed Rule Making: Extending safety fairway from Unimak

Interesting. Most likely will encroach on the fishing fleet’s territory. Right Whale people will probably complain.

[B][I]The proposed ship routing measures are described as follows:[/I][/B]
[B]I A four nautical mile wide, two-way route extending from Unimak Pass in the Aleutian Islands that proceeds Northward through the Bering Sea and Bering Strait before terminating in the Chukchi Sea.[/I][/B]
[B]I A four nautical mile wide, two-way route extending from a location North of the Western side of St. Lawrence Island and near the U.S./Russian Federation maritime border, then proceeding Northeast to a junction with the first two way route located to the West of King Island.[/I][/B]
[B]I A total of four precautionary areas, each circular and 8 nautical miles wide in diameter. Three of these precautionary areas will be located at the starting/ending points of the two-way routes, and the fourth will be located at the junction of the recommended two-way routes.[/I][/B]

Probably won’t deter some of the fishermen. For the last couple of weeks there have been a couple of guys fishing gear right in the middle of the existing safety fairway in unimak. Pretty ballsy.