PROFESSIONAL MARINER request (submit by March 15th)

<TABLE style=“BACKGROUND-COLOR: #290101” cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=“100%” bgColor=#290101><TBODY><TR><TD style=“TEXT-ALIGN: left” align=middle><TABLE style=“BORDER-BOTTOM: transparent 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: transparent 0px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 20px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #290101; MARGIN: 0px auto; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; WIDTH: 580px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Trebuchet MS’; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 11px; BORDER-TOP: transparent 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: transparent 0px solid; PADDING-TOP: 20px” id=topMessageWrapper cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=580 bgColor=#290101 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=580><TBODY><TR><TD style=“BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Trebuchet MS’; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 11px” bgColor=transparent><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=“100%” height=“100%”><TBODY><TR><TD style=“PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Trebuchet MS’; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 11px; PADDING-TOP: 0px” bgColor=transparent vAlign=top></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style=“BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Trebuchet MS’; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 11px” bgColor=#ffffff><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=“100%” height=“100%”><TBODY><TR><TD style=“PADDING-BOTTOM: 15px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; PADDING-LEFT: 40px; PADDING-RIGHT: 40px; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Trebuchet MS’; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 11px; PADDING-TOP: 20px” bgColor=#ffffff vAlign=top>

<TABLE style=“WORD-WRAP: break-word; TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed” border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=“100%”><TBODY><TR><TD style=“BORDER-BOTTOM: transparent 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: transparent 0px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 20px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Trebuchet MS’; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 11px; BORDER-TOP: transparent 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: transparent 0px solid; PADDING-TOP: 0px”>What’s the solution to piracy?

Dear members of the maritime community:
The threat to mariners posed by pirates seems to be getting worse by the day. The number of mariners held hostage by pirates is now about 800, with their time in captivity averaging six months. And the recent killings by pirates of four people aboard a private yacht indicate just how high the stakes have risen.
Despite international efforts to counter the pirates, including a multinational flotilla of warships and aircraft patrolling the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean, the problems seem to be getting worse not better.
What do you think the solution should be? Professional Mariner would like to hear from you. We invite you to submit an article, based on your professional experience and knowledge, about what needs to be done to end this intolerable threat to commercial vessels and their crews. The magazine will publish a selection of these submissions in an upcoming issue of the magazine. The aim will be to present to our readership a sampling of the most informed, practical and imaginative thinking on this crucial issue.
The deadline for submission is March 15. Articles should be 400 words or less. Please e-mail them to jgormley@professionalmariner.com
The editors reserve the right to decide which articles to publish. An honorarium of $120 will be paid to the authors of the articles chosen.

John Gormley
Editor
Professional Mariner

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style=“FONT-FAMILY: ‘Trebuchet MS’; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 11px”><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=“100%” height=“100%”><TBODY><TR><TD style=“BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Trebuchet MS’; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 11px” bgColor=#ffffff vAlign=top width=“33%”><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=“100%” height=“100%”><TBODY><TR><TD style=“PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Trebuchet MS’; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 11px; PADDING-TOP: 0px” bgColor=#ffffff vAlign=top></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD style=“BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Trebuchet MS’; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 11px” bgColor=#ffffff vAlign=top width=“34%”><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=“100%” height=“100%”><TBODY><TR><TD style=“PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Trebuchet MS’; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 11px; PADDING-TOP: 0px” bgColor=#ffffff vAlign=top></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD style=“BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Trebuchet MS’; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 11px” bgColor=#ffffff vAlign=top width=“33%”><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=“100%” height=“100%”><TBODY><TR><TD style=“PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Trebuchet MS’; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 11px; PADDING-TOP: 0px” bgColor=#ffffff vAlign=top><TABLE style=“WORD-WRAP: break-word; TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed” border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=“100%”><TBODY><TR><TD style=“BORDER-BOTTOM: transparent 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: transparent 0px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 40px; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Trebuchet MS’; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 11px; BORDER-TOP: transparent 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: transparent 0px solid; PADDING-TOP: 0px”>Tel: (207) 822-4350 x204
Facebook
Twitter

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style=“BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Trebuchet MS’; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 11px” bgColor=transparent><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=“100%” height=“100%”><TBODY><TR><TD style=“PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Trebuchet MS’; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 11px; PADDING-TOP: 0px” bgColor=transparent vAlign=top><TABLE style=“WORD-WRAP: break-word; TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed” border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=“100%”><TBODY><TR><TD style=“BORDER-BOTTOM: transparent 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: transparent 0px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Trebuchet MS’; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 11px; BORDER-TOP: transparent 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: transparent 0px solid; PADDING-TOP: 0px”>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_850c30ab-3fcd-4d5d-9765-e9186d9d7580 --><STYLE>.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}</STYLE><LINK rel=stylesheet type=text/css href=“http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/33354/css/microformat.css”>

privateers are a good answer, well armed, well trained, fearless and unbound. we are talking about a war with al-queada controled military groups. the same people we are fighting in atleast 4 other countries. numerous other countries are battleing groups that idealize the same radical bullshit. we should be boarding any and all vessels on the water in these regions and taking all excess fuel ladders and weapons they have, and if they fire 1 shot we should put’em down like you would a bad dog. i’ll take 750k and single handedly save the industry atleast 20 mill a year. get 250 guys like me or better and good aerial/satelite survialance and hey look no more problem. i hate to say though change needs to take place on the land in somolia. the pirate commandors tucked tail after “negotiations” with al-queada. we would/should start with installing a government and some profitable infrastructure

[B]Readers offer their solutions to the growing piracy threat…From [U]Professional Mariner[/U][/B]

(I forgot to followup and post… so this is from back in June/July)

How about everyone submit their articles to info@gcaptain.com instead…

This way people will actually read it.

This is my opinion, I dont mean to offend anyone!

My dad always used to say "Son… the only guaranty we have in life, is that we’re gonna die at some point"
I believe that this piracy is such a small issue its not worth complaining nor talking about… i might be out of line but… more people are killed in traffic… what are we gonna do about that?.. nothing… because thats part of life… this is how the world goes around,our sorciety needs the vehicles, to work. This kind of piracy is just a part of the world like the vehicles… the pirates are not doíng this for greed but need… However… if people really want to find a way to solve this insignificant issue… i suggest we give more support to these countries from which these pirates origin, simplu make sure that theres no need for them to do piracy

I believe that for some this might seem a bit harsh… but this is truly what i believe, and i hope that people willl accept that

[QUOTE=Stewart Stardust;57379]This is my opinion, I dont mean to offend anyone!

My dad always used to say "Son… the only guaranty we have in life, is that we’re gonna die at some point"
I believe that this piracy is such a small issue its not worth complaining nor talking about… i might be out of line but… more people are killed in traffic… what are we gonna do about that?.. nothing… because thats part of life… this is how the world goes around,our sorciety needs the vehicles, to work. This kind of piracy is just a part of the world like the vehicles… the pirates are not doíng this for greed but need… However… if people really want to find a way to solve this insignificant issue… i suggest we give more support to these countries from which these pirates origin, simplu make sure that theres no need for them to do piracy

I believe that for some this might seem a bit harsh… but this is truly what i believe, and i hope that people willl accept that[/QUOTE] More like stewart angeldust.

[QUOTE=Stewart Stardust;57379]This is my opinion, I dont mean to offend anyone!

I believe that for some this might seem a bit harsh… but this is truly what i believe, and i hope that people willl accept that[/QUOTE]

" i suggest we give more support to these countries from which these pirates origin, simplu make sure that theres no need for them to do piracy"

Geezus christ on a unicycle.
Perhaps you should start on a more personal and local level. Go give $20 to your local crackhead to keep him from doing something really, really bad. Spread the love.

Tengineer

I bet he voted for Obama and the “spread the wealth” campain!

[QUOTE=CoastalDPO;57385]I bet he voted for Obama and the “spread the wealth” campain![/QUOTE]

No, but I guarantee his ‘Dad’ was one of the ‘roll over’ Danes who welcomed the Germans in, and (as usual) did nothing about it then either!

[QUOTE=tengineer;57382]" i suggest we give more support to these countries from which these pirates origin, simplu make sure that theres no need for them to do piracy"
…Tengineer[/QUOTE]

[B] Yeah look at the Maersk Alabama some of her cargo was food to help the countries over there out… [/B]

“No, but I guarantee his ‘Dad’ was one of the ‘roll over’ Danes who welcomed the Germans in, and (as usual) did nothing about it then either!” - cappy208

ey ey ey, a lot of my family was executed for standing up to the germans… not cool m8… not cool…