Port Calls

I am considering applying for MSC and these threads have been very informative. The one thing not covered well is port calls.

How often on average?
Time length on average?
Bullshit Navy libo rules or are you treated like an adult and civilian?
Restricted to Navy base, or have ability to explore other countries?

I’m sick of the 9-5 circuit and want to go back to being a wandering nomad that gets to see the world.

>How often on average?
It varies significantly. Depending on your platform and mission, you could spend most of your time in port, or stay out of 30+ days at the time. On UNREP ships I’d say you could count on getting in every couple weeks, if not more often. The one thing you can count on is uncertainty and things changing last minute.

>Time length on average?
Again, it varies. But you’ll probably have an overnight any time you pull in, more than likely if you’ve been out for a couple weeks, it’ll be a couple days. You’ll also have periodic VR periods, and they last several days.

>Bullshit Navy libo rules or are you treated like an adult and civilian?
For the most part, we’re immune from the bullshit. Depending on where you are (somewhere dangerous) there can be curfews and no-go areas, or outright restriction to the ship; but there typically has to be a good reason.

>Restricted to Navy base, or have ability to explore other countries?
Again, it depends on where the base is, and the Navy’s mood. Most places you’ll have no problem, but we do go to some shitty areas, so it’s not unheard of.

Based on what I’ve seen in the commercial world, MSC is better for liberty and travel, you’ll probably send time in places you have no desire to go (Djibouti), but plenty of opportunity for fun too.