Pirates

Looks like these guys are killing each other now…

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100119/wl_afp/somaliapiracyshippingunrest

Good. Let 'em.

Ryan

That article makes it sound more like high-seas organized crime. It really amazes me that we can’t put an end to this situation. I mean, really? Yes, they have machine guns and RPGs, but are they really any match for the highly trained and sophisticated navies of the world? These guys are running around in pangas with t-shirts with bare feet!!! I love that image posted a few days ago- the one with the US Navy sniper and the caption about shooting pirates in choppy seas at night. The funny part about it: its true!

Hijacked ships at anchor in plain sight waiting for millions of dollars to be dropped out of planes? [B]Are you kidding me???[/B] STOP giving these guys the ransom, and they will stop taking ships!!! Send in a multinational navy force to free those captured and stop giving them money. Sheesh:mad:

Exactly, enough is enough, how this has gone on, for so long is just amazing…

[QUOTE=captfish;25359]That article makes it sound more like high-seas organized crime. It really amazes me that we can’t put an end to this situation. I mean, really? Yes, they have machine guns and RPGs, but are they really any match for the highly trained and sophisticated navies of the world? These guys are running around in pangas with t-shirts with bare feet!!! I love that image posted a few days ago- the one with the US Navy sniper and the caption about shooting pirates in choppy seas at night. The funny part about it: its true!

Hijacked ships at anchor in plain sight waiting for millions of dollars to be dropped out of planes? [B]Are you kidding me???[/B] STOP giving these guys the ransom, and they will stop taking ships!!! Send in a multinational navy force to free those captured and stop giving them money. Sheesh:mad:[/QUOTE]

Well at least they have good intentions of putting safety first.

I am not so sure. No hard had or safety glasses, and I doubt those shoes are steel toe. Maybe we can shut the pirates down by making them OSHA compliant.

Don’t forget proper ear protection…

[QUOTE=captfish;25359]…These guys are running around in pangas with t-shirts with bare feet!!! [/QUOTE]

One recalls the Viet Cong, who kicked our asses wearing PJs and slippers.

Follow the money. It’s a cost of doing business for the ship owners. If it wasn’t acceptable to them, there would not be a piracy problem.

Yeah, but the gloves are a nice tough. Wouldn’t want any blisters on that trigger finger. The salt water would just make it sting even more.

[quote=dougpine;25392]One recalls the Viet Cong, who kicked our asses wearing PJs and slippers.

Follow the money. It’s a cost of doing business for the ship owners. If it wasn’t acceptable to them, there would not be a piracy problem.[/quote]

Considering the value of the Centaurus and its cargo are around $300 million dollars, a $7 million dollar ransom might be considered a bargain.

It all depends on what Underwriters are charging for the coverage. . . .

Last I heard K&R insurance for the trip was about $30 thousand for $3 million coverage. There is also insurance to cover the losses if an oil cargo loses value while being held hostage, coverage for loss of charter income, whatever commercial value or cost is at risk.

Considering the costs to avoid the area, insurance might not be any more expensive