Piracy

The crime of piracy is atrocious. The inability of the worlds governments to deal with the problem and free the hostage is almost as bad. Today there exist some of the finest special operations units in the world that would welcome the opportunity to fix the problem.

[QUOTE=capt paul;44060]The crime of piracy is atrocious. The inability of the worlds governments to deal with the problem and free the hostage is almost as bad. Today there exist some of the finest special operations units in the world that would welcome the opportunity to fix the problem.[/QUOTE]

Yes, piracy is a terrible crime. One that has only grown worse with much higher ransoms being paid and the threats to commercial shipping and the very real probability that in some areas such as Somalia, funds are being channeled by “pirates” to terrorists.

But the seeming inability of world government’s, navy’s and courts of criminal/maritime jurisdiction have all failed to act in a manner which would deal with this very real threat and problem.

I also doubt we will see the US take the lead on this, especially as the number of US flagged merchant vessels has shrunk, and most of the attacks involve non-US vessels/crews. We are bogged down in 2 wars in the Mid. East and I don’t see us having the will to return to Somalia anytime soon. In other pirate infested areas (such as the Strait of Malacca) there is the question of territorial waters as well as the lack of coordination between maritime states and the real corruption that exists in those countries navies, police forces and courts.

Hopefully stronger action will soon be taken.

Pirates? I thought that they are just poor fishermen defending their fishing grounds. They are just misunderstood.