Pimp my ship!

[B]What would you MOST like to see on a ship? [/B]Use your imagination…
This concept is called “Pimp my ship!” Suggest any wild component or feature you’d like to see on a ship, and it will happen. Suggestions will be incorporated into illustrations put together by a graphic designer. You will get partial credit for the results. For more information, see http://bit.ly/aXzZvj

I want a heads up display on my pilothouse window that puts AIS data on top of the vessel as I look at the contact through the window.

And I want a pony.

Great suggestion. A kind of augmented reality application for the wheelhouse?

Kongsberg bridge consol with all the bells and whistles with both 3cm and 10cm radars screens, ECDIS, engineering displays, light controls, radios, auto pilot control, a display for the FLIR that would be mounted on the mast and everyting else I would need to operate while underway all centered around a high chair. The high chair is very importatnt becuase here at MSC we still STAND our watch. For those pf you who get to sit, I envy you. Also i want a monitor that is feed by security cameras from all over the ship for those inport watches where i am in between rounds. I also want a computer dropped in the consol so i can take care of the ship’s log.

Be nice to have a firdge under the consol loaded with red bull and monster.

I want to second that heads up display.

Hooters franchise on the mess decks:p. Firemans pole between the bridge and main deck inside the skin of the ship:D. Free wi-fi www connection and free satphone for personal use;). NO touch-screen electronic displays:mad:.

Can I just have Paul Allen’s boat?

in honor of Dexter, one of my wife’s best friends in NYC:

10000 ton auxillary sail (square rigged, 4 masts) passenger ship cruising in Carribbean or Eastern Mediterranean. pink hull. ship is “dressed” with fuzzy white dangly lace. ships horn that plays “YMCA” or any song off of 1984’s WHAM “Make It Big!”. rainbow flags. shirtless buff 20 year old male crew (oiled, of course). killer french food. tons of hot women on board who all agree they feel “safe”.

hmmm… maybe thats just too gay?

[quote=richard8000milesaway;28762]in honor of Dexter, one of my wife’s best friends in NYC:

10000 ton auxillary sail (square rigged, 4 masts) passenger ship cruising in Carribbean or Eastern Mediterranean. pink hull. ship is “dressed” with fuzzy white dangly lace. ships horn that plays “YMCA” or any song off of 1984’s WHAM “Make It Big!”. rainbow flags. shirtless buff 20 year old male crew (oiled, of course). killer french food. tons of hot women on board who all agree they feel “safe”.

hmmm… maybe thats just too gay?[/quote]

SUPER!

Bose QuietComfort bullshit-cancelling VHF radios.

A freaking chair that moves out of the way when I want to stand in front of the wheel. This chair also needs to be adjustable in every which way and have plenty of padding that doesn’t ware out after 6 months.

Right now I’m on a G-boat, the height of technology 30 dam years ago. Hopefully by this time next year I will be sitting for my 500 ton and Ill be moving to the east side with the big boat in the sky.

If were getting bullshit canceling radios then it should go with out saying that we should get automatic deckhands. They do their cleaning every day with out being reminded, splice lines, hit a bit on the first throw from 30 ft away, and knows instinctively when to bring you something to drink and relive you at the wheel when you need to take a piss.

In reality Frans idea is bad ass. I would aslo like about 5 or more multi function displays, and I happen to like touch screens. I want to be able to put on any of them radar, engine readouts, chart plotter, email from the office, AIS, caller ID for the sat phone, depth sounder, XM weather overlay for the chart plotter, song info from the Ipod and XM radio, I want the WHOLE wheelhouse interconnected.

Also a decent stereo with the speakers placed in front of you so you can get some proper imaging from what your listing to. Kind of tired of the boom box in the corner or speakers placed in the oddest places that give a HORRIBLE sound stage.

i could really have used that in the Persian Gulf.

[quote=Capt. Fran;28536]I want a heads up display on my pilothouse window that puts AIS data on top of the vessel as I look at the contact through the window.

And I want a pony.[/quote]

A company’s working on this right now. It’ll also give you a visual of where the waypoints are and the course lines between them etc. They’re using one of our simulators (and the cadets) for the beta testing.

You wouldn’t happen to be one of those cadets would you?

People that need stuff like that…are lost.

Reminds me of an incident where a crane operator almost killed a rigger because of a passing butterfly.

First of all I love technology. But I just want to look out the Damn window without obstructions. I wish we could come up with ship designs that dont have a funnel or mast at my 180, or monster cranes dead ahead. In contrast to that statment I would also love to have one window every 90 degrees that lights up with thermal imaging. I delivered a yacht from the east coast to seattle that had thermal imaging and it was priceless. nice to know at night which pangas were freindly.

True that…I was on a ship that had a FLIR mounted on the mast, the monitor and pistol grip contoller with thumb operated joystick were in the bridge. The whole thing was bad-ass. I’ll take one of them again, please. When ya looked at a large ship at night you could see the outline of the engine, the exhaust lines and the funnel/stack. The rest of the ship was just barely visible. On small craft the engines were clearly visable, but if you glanced out the window you couldn’t see it at all, and seldom were the little ones on the RADAR.

On tugs, windows down low near the floor that give clear line of site to the cleats, so the capt can watch when we make and break tow, et cetera.

I get it, this is kind of like the episode when Homer Simpson got to design the car of the future. Very cool, I just hope this goes better for us than it did for Homer :wink:

I want a chair that moves on tracks electronically. Above the chair should be mounted an LED spotlight light on tracks, which should move in schynchrony with the chair, illuminating the watchstander in a glow of light. That way whenever someone comes to the bridge at night I can pimp it Dr. Strangelove style.

I also want cool galley equipment. I heard of this machine where you put in 5 gallons of ice cream, any type, and a hydraulic arm squeezes through a tube making it soft-serve. I want a waffle iron that embosses my waffles with the company logo and a toffee peanut maker (if this doesn’t exist in real life, it should!!). Actually, forget the galley, I want these on the bridge but add in an automated capaccino machine & a vending machine with Red Bull so I can jolt my system back from diabetic shock.

I read somewhere the Octopus is 20M annually to maintain.

A cook with clean nails and who knows how to cook.