Perseverance landing

Don’t worry, you won’t be able to hear it from here.
Which is just as well as the music is shite.

I have to look at this from the aspect of a cost benefit analysis. As a USA Taxpayer I think that whatever may be learned has No, None, Nada benefit to me, my heirs or the rest of mankind. It becomes a make work project that will not be a blib in history.
I will return to my cave now.

Troglodyte; what does mankind do when this planet is full of people and empty of resources?
Just fade away?

This one has some actual flight testing. Why so noisy? Two big counter-rotating propellers at substantial RPM. But mostly for drama in the animation.

I think the whole thing, i.e. a drone flying around on Mars, is stupid, fantasy nonsense.

Being a master of it, I guess you would know.

5 Likes

It is not fantasy, it is happening.
Until they invent the warp drive Mars is our best shot to start building and experimenting with infrastructures, agriculture and habitats for off world living.

2 Likes

star-wars-was-when-darth-vader-lost-his-cool-during-a-staff-meeting-and-started-choking-a-coworker.jpeg

Yes. Happening. Present tense. To be followed up on subsequent missions with sensor equipped gliders that will be deployed at high altitude.

No, I just use common sense and real physics. There is no way to send a spacecraft from Earth to Mars and at arrival after 204 days brake, slow down and land and unload a drone that can fly around. I pay anyone €1M who can explain it to me. As the trip is fully automatic and computer controlled just provide me the software and describe the hardware and fuel used. More fun is the NASA Artemis project to place an American woman on the South Pole of the Moon 2014. It will also be a fully automatic and computer controlled trip but with humans aboard which takes only five days one way . I wonder what the woman shall do on the Moon. Any ideas?

Yeah, they kind of just did it or did you miss the news?
That will be 1 million euros please.
The first woman on the moon will no doubt look for a shoe shop.
Or is that just too sexist?

1 Like

Nice way of putting it. There are NO way anybody can convince you of anything, so no risk to make a stupid wager like that.

1 Like

Less change of cashing in than in this case:

But you could always sue.

Certainly not, if she will be looking only for indigenous moon boots.

1 Like

Hm. The wager is real since many years. The Heiwa Challenge #6 - You sound like a loser, ombugge!

Would they swarm out like fire ants?

1 Like

Note the design of those blades, you can also bet that drone is pretty light but rest assured the lift weight ratios are going to be correct for the air density.
As for the “non-benifit” of the research/development for space exploration-it’s as old as the argument for Magellan’s or Columbus’s trips.
The biggest leaps in knowledge happened during the world wars… and the cold wars. Advanced knowledge takes money to develop/proof … till then it’s mostly theory

1 Like

oh yea, that ““clean feed”” is probably just ‘‘censored’’ !

The landing is proof of the superiority of American technology.

On the NASA website you could watch a high-definition CGI simulation of the spacecraft approaching Mars, maneuvering and landing, each image choreographed with the actual operation 127 million miles away: the parachute deployment, the jet pack firing, the rover being lowered by sky crane, timed to the second. The ability to do and watch all of that rests on American tech.

The whole shooting match–the computer you watched the coverage on, the microprocessors in the computer, the internet, the CGI, the rocket technology, the materials science behind the rover, the engineering expertise behind the mind-boggling landing-- all of it was pioneered by Americans sixty years ago, in part because of the space program.

A Chinese spacecraft, Tianwen-1 arrived in Mars orbit a few days before Perseverance did. Perseverance blew right past it while the Chinese were still circling, looking for a landing spot. The Chinese won’t land for months. Proof of American superiority.

If we don’t keep the USA on the leading edge of technology our competitors are going to eat our lunch.

2 Likes

It was two (left/right) channels of audio of two operational networks at JPL. All the live audio you heard on the other feeds was on the left channel but continuously, including silences. Right channel was harder to figure out what they were doing but they had some status/milestone updates a few seconds before the left channel did.