Payscales

[QUOTE=cappy208;42757]NO, I believe admiral would suffice! :-)[/QUOTE]

Anchorman prefers Commander. When we were on the Laney Chouest together Professional Mariner came onboard and did a story. They took some pictures of Anchorman at the stern controls. They referred to him as the COMMANDER of the Laney Chouest in the Article. Some things just stick and from that day forward he will always be referred to as COMMANDER…a Chouest Legend. His named adored by management and feared by his peers…Whispered in the hallways of the training center.

Capt Lee reminded me. I forgot the 401k contribution.

the going rate seems to be around 4% or 5 %. how about other companies? I know this is a ‘sleeper’ issue, since most guys don’t really think or give too much thought about this. But this is a HUGE chunk of change to have invested over the long haul.

[QUOTE=cappy208;42772]Capt Lee reminded me. I forgot the 401k contribution.

the going rate seems to be around 4% or 5 %. how about other companies? I know this is a ‘sleeper’ issue, since most guys don’t really think or give too much thought about this. But this is a HUGE chunk of change to have invested over the long haul.[/QUOTE]

Most all drill companies are 6%, dollar for dollar. Seadrill is 8%, but I sure like what Diamond does with their profit sharing, which is in addition to 401k

[QUOTE=Capt. Lee;42761]Anchorman prefers Commander. When we were on the Laney Chouest together Professional Mariner came onboard and did a story. They took some pictures of Anchorman at the stern controls. They referred to him as the COMMANDER of the Laney Chouest in the Article. Some things just stick and from that day forward he will always be referred to as COMMANDER…a Chouest Legend. His named adored by management and feared by his peers…Whispered in the hallways of the training center.[/QUOTE]

That’s about the biggest line of crap that I’ve ever heard, but I do remember you inventing that perception to amuse yourself, which was funny at the time.

[QUOTE=anchorman;42786]That’s about the biggest line of crap that I’ve ever heard, but I do remember you inventing that perception to amuse yourself, which was funny at the time.[/QUOTE]

You know it is true. I was sitting in the smoking area at the training center and some of the potential anchormen wannabees were talking about the Legend…Commander Anchorman…He drives a Lexus!!! That guy is a legend.

[QUOTE=anchorman;42785]Most all drill companies are 6%, dollar for dollar. Seadrill is 8%, but I sure like what Diamond does with their profit sharing, which is in addition to 401k[/QUOTE]

MSC has a Thrift Savings Plan instead of a 401k and they match the first 5%, they also have the Federal Retirement “FERS”. MSC’s pay is a little complicated because of the Salary and Over Time senarios that are possible.

Base [U]salary[/U] for a 2nd Mate watchstander, (while training or on a small vessel like a Tug or Salvage Ship, etc.) is $180 a day and $47 Hr OT,

On most UnRep Ships, $213 a day and $57 hr OT.

Those per day figures are for 8 hour days and are payed every day of the year, on ship or on leave because it’s a salary.

Watchstanders get OT when they stand watch on weekends, (that’s 64 hrs automatic OT per month) and holidays in addition to anything worked outside of 8 hours a day…

Assuming: 31 days @ $213=[U]6603[/U] +64hrs OT@ $57= [U]3648[/U] +4hrs OT x 31 days @$57=[U]7068[/U] =[U]17319[/U] per month ($559 per day)

All travel is payed/reimbursed. Several different paid training schemes are offered.

There is other money that comes ones way, like penalty pay for certain types of work, and some other pay I haven’t figured out yet.

MSC pays every 2 weeks, so that’s 26 pay days a year.

There are Day Worker positions and there are a multitude of positions and a variety of wages. It aint simple, but the pay scales can be found here: http://www.msc.navy.mil/civmar/payroll.htm

[I]2010 East Coast Pay Charts (Revised 7/30/10)[/I]
[I]2010 West Coast Pay Charts (Revised 7/30/10)[/I]
<!-------------------- content ends here ------------------------->
(FYI, I’ve been in training for the last month and have another month to go. MSC is paying for the Holiday Inn I’m at and are paying me $266 a week to feed myself, in addition to my base salary. A full breakfast is served free at the Hotel each morning, transportation to/from the school is provided.)

[QUOTE=cappy208;42646]It is interesting to see other companies who work in NY, like Vane, and DONT pay the NY wage. The Vane rates are around 100 a day LESS for all positions.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but how many employees has Vane laid off vs. the local 333 companies? Job security means a lot, especially in today’s market.

Hi, I’m new here. I’m seriously thinking about the SIU training program. To cut to the chase, beyond the MSC pay rates posted above, would the job/career path of electrician, steward or damage control be the most lucrative/rewarding? Which ones are the most open; meaning, which ones do they have the least reliefs for and are always looking to send on assignment?

[QUOTE=kevinetics;43147]Hi, I’m new here. I’m seriously thinking about the SIU training program. To cut to the chase, beyond the MSC pay rates posted above, would the job/career path of electrician, steward or damage control be the most lucrative/rewarding? Which ones are the most open; meaning, which ones do they have the least reliefs for and are always looking to send on assignment?[/QUOTE]

Check here to get that answered…http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/MSCdelivers

[QUOTE=kevinetics;43147]Hi, I’m new here. I’m seriously thinking about the SIU training program. To cut to the chase, beyond the MSC pay rates posted above, would the job/career path of electrician, steward or damage control be the most lucrative/rewarding? Which ones are the most open; meaning, which ones do they have the least reliefs for and are always looking to send on assignment?[/QUOTE]
Never heard of damage control. There’s a lot of stewards with SIU and geting a job is not easy. Pay is about 10-12k a month. Electricians are the highest payed unlicensed personel on SIU contracted ships and there’s not a lot of them. So getting a job is a matter of going to the union hall and picking one. Pay is around 15k a month including vacation pay. having said that it’s not easy to become one. Let me know if you have more questions.