Patrice McAllister fire

[QUOTE=KennyW1983;66763]They are going to fix it? I would think that the steel would be to distorted by the heat for it to be any good.[/QUOTE]

Uninspected Towing Vessel rules cover this sorta thing?
Curious.

You know who you are talking about? They’ll try to fix it.

[QUOTE=KennyW1983;66763]They are going to fix it? I would think that the steel would be to distorted by the heat for it to be any good.[/QUOTE]

I haven’t looked at the pictures lately, but it looked to me that the heat damaged steel was just in the deck house. Depending on how badly damaged the rest of the the structure is (hull, main deck, internals, etc.) that may not be a real problem. replacing steel is fairly cheap in the overall repair costs. What will get expensive is the machinery, electrical wiring and fittings, and the general outfitting of the living quarters. Depending on what the repair costs are, it may well be that the boat is a CTL. It would then be up to the owners to decide what to do with the hulk. Stripped down, and depending on the condition of the hull, it may well be more economical to use it to rebuild a “new” boat than to start from scratch. I would guess that preliminary surveys have been carried out and some sort of decision was made with Hull underwriters, or at least conditional pending further examination.

[QUOTE=Tugted;66835]You know who you are talking about? They’ll try to fix it.[/QUOTE]

Yup I know only so well.

LOL… that was the post of the year.

A little primer, a little paint… make her what she aint.

Well you know, a fresh coat of paint is nearly a “rebuild”.

It appears the rowan was/ is arrested/impounded due to the insufficient paperwork held by the crew members on board in Canada…at least that’s the latest rumor

Good grief!!

lol…whoopsie…

LoL. Why am I not surprised.

Once when I worked for Maritrans and on a trip to Halifax we were “Arrested” for some screw up in the paperwork while in a small harbor ( Shelbourn [sp] I think) while weather bound. Basically, they put a Coast Guard Cruiser at the mouth of the Harbor that we were anchored in until all of the paper work was fixed.

Another time we were in St. Johns and the Canadian CG asked for the Captain to come ashore to do some paper work. He was pissed until the agent explained to him that because of of the N/C license the mate had he was illegal. Only the Captain and Me (Chief) had Ocean Licenses. The CG guy was pretty cool about it but he was not happy when he heard the company was trying to get us a back load out of Halifax. If I remember correctly he was going to fly over to Halifax to smooth things out for us, and not get his ass in a ringer for not busting us in St. Johns. This was in the early 90’s.

Thanks for the info, I’m at McAllister of Va, and a bunch of us were wondering what’s going on.