Passenger carrying cargo ships

I often wondered if there is a vast untapped market for such vessels? There used to be hundreds of these ships around the world.

[B]Half Cruise Ship, Half Freighter Debuts 2015[/B]

By Kathryn Stone 2015-05-26 14:46:57

At first glance, it is hard to know what to make of the Aranui 5. It is clearly some kind of passenger vessel, but it is also appears to be a freight vessel. The ship is in fact both and is set to begin voyages in French Polynesia in late November. The Aranui 5 is replacing its predecessor, the Aranui 3 on a dual mission to bring travelers and commodities to the Marquesas Islands, the remotest archipelago in the world.

The Aranui 5 will complete a circuit of 2,200 miles leaving from Papeete, the capital of French Polynesia, and traveling to all six inhabited islands in the Marquesas chain. Making it into the archipelago alone takes over three day’s sea journey. Also, vessel has the largest number of passenger berths of any cargo ship allowing for passenger capacity of around 260 up over 50 passengers from its predecessor that has been in operation since 2003.

The 125 meter (410 foot) ship can carry over 2,000 tons of freight. The vessel both allows visitors access to the remote Polynesian Islands made famous by Paul Gauguin, but it also carries supplies, fuel and other staples to the remote island ports otherwise cut off from commerce. However, the ship does not just make deliveries, it also receives imports form the islands in the form of dried coconut, citrus and fish.

Although the Aranui 5 is unique in design, it represents a concept that has been around in the shipping industry for many years: the fusion of cargo and cruising. Currently, there are about 300 passenger carrying cargo ships in the shipping industry, which can carry up to a maximum of 12 passengers (over this number the ship must maintain a doctor aboard). The sea travel company Cruise People Ltd. even state that all freighter voyages they showcase are aboard vessels with outside staterooms and swimming pools available.

CMA CGM, the third largest container shipping company notes on its website that 874 passengers traveled onboard its vessels in 2013. As a selling point, the company advertises passage aboard its largest vessels the 16,020TEU containerships CMA CGM Marco Polo and CMA CGM Alexander von Humbolt. The various itineraries the ships offer include passage from the U.S. to Asia and Asia to the Mediterranean.

Similarly, Rickmers Line offers various itineraries including a 124 around the world voyage. However, the company now prohibits passenger transportation between Genoa and Singapore as some passengers failed to heed the crew’s warning about being on deck in known pirate zones. Typical pricing for such a trip is around $135 per person per day.

There are even online guides for freighter travel that give stories from previous passengers and teach laymen maritime terminology that they will need for their voyage.

You can carry 16passengers on a US flag cargo vessel as long as you aren’t sailing foreign. Think of the possibilities of offering cruises in Alaska to garden spots like Dutch Harbor or St. Paul in January?

If you build it they will come. Don’t know if Eco-tourism is trending up or down at the moment but I’m sure there would be a market for that sort of travel based on the sheer numbers traveling on the main line cruise ships up there in the summer. Once they get bored with the typical first time Alaska cruise and are ready to try something new. Incorporate a lecture series on the region’s history, geology, etc Maybe add a few small labs and see if you can get money from UNOLS to carry a few scientists too. Bet there are people who would love to travel and “work” alongside scientists, take in a lecture on local history at night and watch cargo ops in port.

I wish there were US vessels like that. I’d love to work on something like that. I don’t think, in today’s age, it’s feasible though. At least not for Americans.

Couple this with yesterday’s article saying that plumb bows are more efficient than big flared bows with bulbous protrusions and we could see a renaissance of some pretty classy looking vessels! Now if we could just convince someone to power one of these things with a couple of triple expansion steam engines and we’d be all set!

Some neighbors used to take a cruise on the same freighter down through Central and South America with a canal transit every year. I think the trips were 4 to 6 weeks. They were upset when the ship was sold about 12 years ago. Said most passengers were repeat customers that would rebook at least a year ahead of time.

[I]12 passengers (over this number the ship must maintain a doctor aboard).[/I]
does anyone know the source of this? i cannot find any regulations on line stating that ships carrying more than 12 passengers must have a doctor on board.
thanks in advance for the assistance!

[I]" …can carry up to a maximum of 12 passengers (over this number the ship must maintain a doctor aboard)."[/I]

does anyone know the legislative source for the above requirement for maintaining a doctor on board? thanks!

I think the 12 passenger rule comes from SOLAS, and its implementing regulations. Under SOLAS, a ship inspected as a freighter may carry up to 12 passengers, but a ship that carries over 12 passengers must be inspected as a passenger ship. I do not know what triggers a requirement for a doctor on a passenger ship.

thanks for the feedback tugsailor! it is appreciated.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;162988]I think the 12 passenger rule comes from SOLAS, and its implementing regulations. Under SOLAS, a ship inspected as a freighter may carry up to 12 passengers, but a ship that carries over 12 passengers must be inspected as a passenger ship. I do not know what triggers a requirement for a doctor on a passenger ship.[/QUOTE]

There is no trigger, at least not under US law, as far as I can tell. I believe SOLAS does not apply here, either. Cruise ships carry a doctor for practical and competitive reasons. Since passengers are not required to pass a physical, it makes sense.

However, there may be applicable requirements from other flags of registry.