OSHA relations to Marine Industry

I have recently had the experience of working with an individual who has a strong background in OSHA regulations, and is quite fond of quoting them. When I explained that there more than enough entities regulating us without dragging OSHA into the mix, his rebuttal was that he had the “OSHA Maritime manual” on the way. When I checked the OSHA web-site it appears that they only deal with shipyard employment, longshoring, and marine terminals. Am I wrong here? Does OSHA have jurisdiction over Shipboard Operations? Is anyone aware of conflicts between OSHA and USCG/SOLAS/IMO regulations?
Thanks in advance for any input or experience.
I have found some information at http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=22725 - but that still seems to refer to stevedoring.

OSHA does have some limited regulatory authority aboard vessels. Try OSHA’s Assistance for the Maritime Industry website as well as their Memorandum of Understanding between OSHA and the CG regarding inspected vessels.

This just became effective.
OSHA Authority Over Vessels and Facilities on or Adjacent to US Navigable Waters and the Outer Continental Shelf

Executive Summary

This instruction provides current policy, information and guidance to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) national, regional, and area offices; industry parties; OSHA State programs and federal agencies concerning OSHA’s authority over persons working on vessels (inspected vessels, uninspected vessels, and commercial uninspected fishing industry vessels) and facilities on or adjacent to U.S. navigable waters and the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS).
This instruction provides information and guidance that:
• Supports DOL’s Strategic Plan Performance Goal for increased emphasis on improving occupational safety and health in high-hazard workplace activities and maximizing the use of inspection resources.
• Provides OSHA compliance officers and consultants, and other interested government and industry parties, with specific guidance and information in support of inspections and compliance activities for vessels and facilities on or adjacent to U.S. navigable waters and the OCS.