OK all you NorEasters...let's hear some horror stories from y'all

this one is gonna be DAMNED NASTY!

in fact, it will be worse

Yes! Don’t be fooled that they’re calling for just 30’ seas, that’s a steep and mean sea on a lee-shore close aboard. Been there, done that. Really no time to recover from a problem if you have one.

Not that I am an old salt, but when I was younger and stupider I was steaming home one night it blew 70 Kts on Jeffries ledge. Probably the last time we saw this kind of breeze and the last time I’ll do that. When you see your sidelights reflecting in the whitecaps rolling by you, you already fucked up!

22.3’ with an average period of 8.7 seconds @ the Boston Buoy, from experience you usually get a little more substantial wind/seas just a few more miles east of there especially if the storms more northerly than easterly.

Today: N wind 39 to 43 kt, with gusts as high as 55 kt. Snow. Areas of fog between 2pm and 4pm, then Patchy fog after 5pm. Areas of freezing fog before 2pm, then Patchy freezing fog between 4pm and 5pm. Seas around 35 ft.

[QUOTE=z-drive;152887]Yes! Don’t be fooled that they’re calling for just 30’ seas, that’s a steep and mean sea on a lee-shore close aboard. Been there, done that. Really no time to recover from a problem if you have one.

Not that I am an old salt, but when I was younger and stupider I was steaming home one night it blew 70 Kts on Jeffries ledge. Probably the last time we saw this kind of breeze and the last time I’ll do that. When you see your sidelights reflecting in the whitecaps rolling by you, you already fucked up![/QUOTE]

I was working during the Feb 11/12 2006 storm that hit the Northeast. We were loading a 80,000 bbl barge (on a wire boat) at Riverhead Platform in Long Island Sound for NYC. Of course, we knew it was coming and were paying close attention to it’s progress. We ended up getting loaded, and were able to depart in push-gear with a 2-3ft chop. When I got to Execution Rock it was snowing moderately and the visibility was about 2 miles, but when I got to Hell Gate visibility was down to less than a half mile, and NY Traffic shut the harbor down because of the visibility. It was a bit hairy going through the East River in those conditions, but having been through there countless times makes all the difference in the world. Someone told me years ago, if you have local knowledge and experience for a route, you are golden, without it, you are a hazard to navigation…that is soooo true. Upon getting out of the East River the blizzard conditions let up and visibility increased to a little over a mile, and traffic allowed me to continue through the Kills - we were headed for Hess 2nd Reserve - a lay berth in the AK. The wind was NE 30-40kts coming through Bayridge, and anchoring in Bayridge was not an option because it was full. Once I entered the Kills coming by IMTT Bayonne the snow started coming down again, and the visibility was down to less than a quarter mile. I was thinking I should’ve went up to Yonkers and dropped the hook. Fortunately, there was only one dumbass out moving in NY Harbor, and that was me. NY Traffic was constantly talking to me and monitoring my progress because of the adverse conditions…it was almost as bad when there is shit ton of traffic moving. When we arrived off the Hess dock to tie up, I could not see the bow of the barge because it was snowing so hard, and the wind was blowing 40-55. The AB and tankerman that were talking me in and tying up the barge did one helluva job in those conditions. It was freeeekn cold out there!!! Needless to say, I bought all the beer for them when we crew changed the following week while we were waiting on our flights at the airport. The next day the entire stern of the tug was completely filled up with snow!!! Never had seen that before. I measured that distance and it was 30 inches. Looking back at making the decision to continue, I would have probably anchored of of SUNY east of the Throgs Neck Bridge. However, with having the extensive local knowledge and experience of that area allowed me to arrive safely to my destination.

The worst I remember was in ‘78 I believe. I was on a 195’ AHTS servicing a rig in the Baltimore canyon area. We ran back to Davisville Depot. The ice built up so fast that the 01 deck had 3 to 4 ft. The anchor windless was enclosed in ice. The ice covered the pilot house deck about 2 ft. We had the North Sea storm plates over the windows and the heaters had a hard time keeping up with the ice building up behind the plates. It was an eerie feeling ride being that top heavy. Took 3 days with a hot water washer to clear the ice.

[QUOTE=injunear;152925]The worst I remember was in ‘78 I believe. I was on a 195’ AHTS servicing a rig in the Baltimore canyon area. We ran back to Davisville Depot. The ice built up so fast that the 01 deck had 3 to 4 ft. The anchor windless was enclosed in ice. The ice covered the pilot house deck about 2 ft. We had the North Sea storm plates over the windows and the heaters had a hard time keeping up with the ice building up behind the plates. It was an eerie feeling ride being that top heavy. Took 3 days with a hot water washer to clear the ice.[/QUOTE]

All of you guys who worked out there in that era did some badass stuff that I have the utmost respect for. Some of the senior guys I work for/with were in on that scene, all excellent seamen to be around.

[QUOTE=injunear;152925]… Took 3 days with a hot water washer to clear the ice.[/QUOTE]

You didn’t carry a supply of baseball bats for that purpose? I worked ona tanker that made regular winter runs to Drift River, AK and we always had bats for clearinbg ice.

Yes, we had about 3 or 4 bats, and they worked fairly well keeping the ice in check on the hand rails and other problem areas on the tug. I personally favored the 33" x 29oz. maple bat. This allowed me to generate more bat speed and swing longer than other guys, because they were all using heavier bats.

So what’s it like out there today?

It sucks, the coast is taking a beating. Down on the cape it isn’t too bad, I’ve got a hell of a drift in the driveway!

28’ or so earlier today with <10 second period, slacked off some now but will pick back up after the tide change. Usually a bit bigger just east of the buoy too.

Luckily not out in this one!

When you see a map colored like this, it makes you very happy to be in day 10 of 17 off.

http://www.weather.gov/box/

[QUOTE=jdcavo;152933]You didn’t carry a supply of baseball bats for that purpose? I worked ona tanker that made regular winter runs to Drift River, AK and we always had bats for clearinbg ice.[/QUOTE]

We had bats but the ice was too dense and thick. There was a salt shortage also. We worked in Alaska the year before and the North Sea and North Atlantic the year before that and never experienced icing like that storm. On arrival in Davisville, there were 4 AHTSs frozen to the dock and couldn’t break free. We broke the ice coming in.

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;152942]It sucks, the coast is taking a beating. Down on the cape it isn’t too bad, I’ve got a hell of a drift in the driveway![/QUOTE]

Here in the far PNW we’re having record high temps! 63d on Sunday. Feels like an early spring!

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=capnfab;152945]When you see a map colored like this, it makes you very happy to be in day 10 of 17 off.

http://www.weather.gov/box/[/QUOTE]

Mother of JEHOVAH!

http://fishweather.com/map#42.393,-70.616,7,2 and go to " forecast flowviz" on the left!

The Portsmouth, New Hampshire cam on the waterfront. Click on the “Time Lapse” window.

http://www.portsmouthwebcam.com/index.php/tugboats/