NPR's story on the US shipbuilding boom this morning

they have been US from the start and are part of the MSP

Pretty sure the c10’s were also US from the beginning

[QUOTE=brjones;132976]Pretty sure the c10’s were also US from the beginning[/QUOTE]

Yes the C10’s (President Adams, President Jackson, President Polk and President Truman) were all US Flag from the beginning. Built in Germany no less. Unfortunately they are all gone now. Scrapped last year.

President Kennedy as well. She was reflagged though years ago, but she started as a US flag

[QUOTE=brjones;132975]they have been US from the start and are part of the MSP[/QUOTE]

MSP bulkers??? WTF?

[QUOTE=brjones;132975]they have been US from the start and are part of the MSP[/QUOTE]

The bulkers are not part of the MSP program. The were built to carry PL 480 cargo. The only ship Liberty Maritime has in the (MSP) program is the car carrier M/V Prestige New York.

This pretty well tells the story…http://www.maritime-executive.com/magazine/Liberty-Maritime-2013-12-19/

The change in the PL 480 program caused Liberty to put the 3 bulkers recently delivered under Marshall Island flag.

Here is the current list of MSP ships; http://www.marad.dot.gov/documents/MSP_Fleet_2-1-14.pdf

Oct 2008 MARAD report does not list any bulkers receiving MSP out of 59 on the dole.

A need for 8 bulkers is on the VISA list, but that doesn’t pay anything.

• Updated - - -

U[QUOTE=Chief Seadog;132980]The bulkers are not part of the MSP program. The were built for the PL 480 cargo. The only ship Liberty Maritime has in the (MSP) program is the car carrier M/V Prestige New York.

This pretty well tells the story…http://www.maritime-executive.com/magazine/Liberty-Maritime-2013-12-19/[/

QUOTE]

Beat me to the punch, must have faster Internet than my boat. Knew that didnt make any sense. American operators would never stand for that.

this is interesting, any way

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=liberty%20bulkers%20on%20msp&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marad.dot.gov%2Fdocuments%2FMSP_Revised_Final_Report_Transmitted_07-24-09.pdf&ei=5hIlU_SNBIPpoASRj4CwAw&usg=AFQjCNHXAvmBwtkYsFGVLMwAYfnwFZPjpg&sig2=PTa7fusgpyG6U1Yr43FrsA&bvm=bv.62922401,d.cGU

My mistake I thought all liberty ships were under the MSP

[QUOTE=Chief Seadog;132968]Bulkers:
M/V Liberty Glory delivered 2001, built by Oshima Shipbuilding Co., Japan
M/V Liberty Grace delivered 2001, built by Oshima Shipbuilding Co., Japan
M/V Liberty Eagle delivered 2004, built by Oshima Shipbuilding Co., Japan

Believe the M/V Liberty Pride delivered 2009, built by Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering, Korea M/V Liberty Promise delivered 2010, built by Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering, Korea may have been reflagged upon delivery and therefore not necessarily US flag from the start foreign built ships.[/QUOTE]

I have to wonder if Pride and Promise are on long term NYK or K line charter? Certainly wouldnt build them on hopes of MSP dough.

Gotta say that I’m suprised they built bulkers in Japan. Must have gotten a hell of a deal.

I had admittedly forgotten all about Liberty when I started reading this thread.

Building ships in Japan is surprising if you can avoid it, but building anything in Korea has to be cheaper than Japan.

My first shipyard exprrience was at Hyundai Mipo in Ulsan.
Workers built scaffolding out of bamboo and bailing wire to hang over the side of a car carrier in drydock.

Amazing…

The old liberty bunkers were built in Korea in the late 80’s if I remember. At least the Spirit was. Don’t think it was US from the beginning but I’m not 100% sure

I was the 1AE on the Adams up until her last voyage to the states before heading to Singapore to be scrapped. The memo said reflagged first. I wonder if they actually scrapped it?

It was reflagged to St Kitts Nevis and renamed Adams. Last port of call was Alang. She was scrapped there last June.

Sorry, it is FABC. The ships TILLIE & TYSON LYKES from Samsung…

[QUOTE=+A465B;133000]Sorry, it is FABC. The ships TILLIE & TYSON LYKES from Samsung…[/QUOTE]

This may seem like a stupid question but, is Lykes still around?

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;133001]This may seem like a stupid question but, is Lykes still around?[/QUOTE]

Lykes was bought by CP Ships who ended the brand. CP was bought by TUI AG who in turn was bought by Hapag-Lloyd. So the short answer is no.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;133001]This may seem like a stupid question but, is Lykes still around?[/QUOTE]

They may still dabble in banking, citrus groves, cattle, and meat packing. Lykes pork products sold in south was them.

The family has a waterfront compound on Lykes lane in S. Tampa very close to where I lived. By far the single biggest piece of residential property around for miles and miles.

In downtown Tampa there is a building with a small, but clearly visible blue and white Lykes ships stack logo in the window. If I had to guess, that is office of Hapag Lloyd North America. Some former Lykes Capts working there probably want it kept there.

If Lykes still has anything shipping wise it’s probably FOC. But I’m pretty sure they are done in that arena.

There are some Lykes agricultural / property businesses around Florida, but the shipping line out of NOLA is long gone…

Those stick ships were some good fun to sail on. Lots of odd ball cargoes to out of the way places.

[QUOTE=+A465B;133008]There are some Lykes agricultural / property businesses around Florida, but the shipping line out of NOLA is long gone…

Those stick ships were some good fun to sail on. Lots of odd ball cargoes to out of the way places.[/QUOTE]

Here is a link to a nice little essay (with pictures too!) of the end of break bulk shipping and the rise of containers in the mid-20th century. It draws sympathetic conclusions about the death of the original and long-standing romance of our business. We’re just floating truck drivers now!

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;133006]They may still dabble in banking, citrus groves, cattle, and meat packing. Lykes pork products sold in south was them.

The family has a waterfront compound on Lykes lane in S. Tampa very close to where I lived. By far the single biggest piece of residential property around for miles and miles.

In downtown Tampa there is a building with a small, but clearly visible blue and white Lykes ships stack logo in the window. If I had to guess, that is office of Hapag Lloyd North America. Some former Lykes Capts working there probably want it kept there.

If Lykes still has anything shipping wise it’s probably FOC. But I’m pretty sure they are done in that arena.[/QUOTE]

I was wrong about that address. It is in fact the office of the shadowy Lykes Bros. Corp.

Lykes.com