Not good for master's like myself

more evidence any accident now makes us criminally liable!

Captain Of Stricken Ship Off New Zealand Arrested
By gCaptain Staff On October 11, 2011[LIST=|INDENT=-3]
[li]Pr[/li]> [/LIST]

WELLINGTON (Dow Jones)–The captain of the stricken cargo ship Rena has been arrested, as 70 containers fell from the heavily listing boat into the ocean overnight, Fairfax-owned news website Stuff reported Wednesday The loss of the containers was reported to Maritime New Zealand by New Zealand Navy ship Endeavour Wednesday morning, it said.

The Rena, a 47,000 ton cargo ship that grounded on the Astrolabe reef off Tauranga Oct. 5, is now tilting up to 18 degrees to the port, or left, side, the website reported. A MNZ spokesman said the ship’s cargo of containers was looking very unstable on that side. Some 1,357 containers remain on board.

The captain of the ship has been charged under Section 65 of the Maritime Act and would appear in court this morning, Environment Minister Nick Smith said, according to the report.

Also the report doesn’t mention that the ship has now broken her back.

Well… There is NO doubt about the reef being well marked now!

[QUOTE=c.captain;56342]

Also the report doesn’t mention that the ship has now broken her back.

[/QUOTE]

Update: Substantial Structural Failure, Vessel May Break Apart http://gcaptain.com/rena-update-substantial-structural?32463

Yesterday it was the captain, today it’s the second officer. Don’t know if it’s same story or what.
[I]
“The second officer will appear in Tauranga District Court this morning facing one charge laid by Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) under section 65 of the Maritime Transport Act (MTA) 1994, “for operating a vessel in a manner causing unnecessary danger or risk””[/I]

Via Maritime New Zealand (official updates and photos (just don’t tell our competition))

There must be more to the story.

Maybe the second mate was on watch when she ran aground? That would make sense in bringing both the Master and the Second Mate in.

Dow Jones reported it was the Captain and navigator.
[I]
MV Rena’s Filipino captain and navigator have been charged with operating a ship in a manner causing unnecessary danger to persons or property and the ship’s owner has come out and apologized for the damage caused.

“We want to say that we are deeply sorry for the situation that has arisen and the threat you are now facing from fuel oil from the vessel washing up on the beautiful beaches on your part of the world,” said Diamantis Mantos, managing director of Costamere Shipping Company.[/I]

via gCaptain