Non-follow up troubleshooting

My current vessel has a fwd non follow up controller and an aft non follow up controller. On the fwd station is also a manual helm exclusive of the non follow up controllers.
The aft station non follow up controller will not give right rudder, only port. Fwd station operates fine.
We changed out the aft non follow up with a new controller, and we have the same issue.
We’ve chased wires and see no loose connections, and we’ve swapped out relays in a junction box where both jog sticks go to. Same problem.
We know its not the RAI giving a false angle, because while cycling the rudder we’ve had a man down in the lazarette verifying which direction the rudder is.
Any suggestions for additional troubleshooting are greatly appreciated.

Are you getting a signal from the controller to the relays or from the relays down to the steering system? You can try and see if their is any signal between the stations. Not sure if the system you have onboard, but some it should listed what type “milliamp’s” the system should be giving out.

Sperry system?? The NFU actuator has cam actuated micro switches. Make sure the lobe is fully engaging the micro switch. From what you said about checking connections, don’t just trust a tight terminal screw. Extract each wire from the blocks, inspect each end and retighten.

[QUOTE=injunear;189776]Sperry system?? The NFU actuator has cam actuated micro switches. Make sure the lobe is fully engaging the micro switch. From what you said about checking connections, don’t just trust a tight terminal screw. Extract each wire from the blocks, inspect each end and retighten.[/QUOTE]
Comnav controllers and from what I can tell robertson/simrad brains…

I had an issue before with Simrad and Rolls Royce jets. Different application, similar problem. The steering wasn’t right on the pilot due to milliamp output from the jets. Something to check for sure.

[QUOTE=Swampfox;189800]I had an issue before with Simrad and Rolls Royce jets. Different application, similar problem. The steering wasn’t right on the pilot due to milliamp output from the jets. Something to check for sure.[/QUOTE]

That would be a “follow-up” type application using a current loop. The “nonfollow-up” uses normally open switches.

Another place to look. There are usually one rudder repeat-back box for each steering pump system . There are rudder limit switches that are set to stop the swing before the mechanical stops are bottomed out. One of the limit switches may be stuck or defective.

injunear: defective micro in this app. i think should result in ram bottoming out,nothing more … ?

[QUOTE=jimrr;189900]injunear: defective micro in this app. i think should result in ram bottoming out,nothing more … ?[/QUOTE]

Non-followup system controllers (jog sticks) are normally open switches. The limit switches in the repeat back box are normally closed. When you engage the jog stick, port or stbd, the rudder will travel until the jog stick is released or the limit switch is engaged. If the limit switch is not set properly. The ram will bottom out and overload the steering pump.

If one limit switch is defective (open), It won’t allow the ram to travel in that direction.

I’m not an engineer but we have a Simrad system on my tug. We had a very similar situation and it was due to a broken/loose wire in the feedback unit. In our case we just clipped and stripped all of the wires in the unit and it solved the problem.

[QUOTE=Tugboater203;189979]I’m not an engineer but we have a Simrad system on my tug. We had a very similar situation and it was due to a broken/loose wire in the feedback unit. In our case we just clipped and stripped all of the wires in the unit and it solved the problem.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips guys. I’ll do an update if I discover anything.
It seems there are still log in/reply issues with the forum these days.

If still no joy, check any junction boxes in the circuit. Those can pack a surprise or two after years of vibration.