NOAA WAGE MarinersUnions

I was reading a few past threads regarding NOAA wage mariner recruiting and such. As I read post after post the common theme is, NOAA does not pay competitively, is disrepectful towards its wage mariners, does not function like the rest of the merchant marine has for over 75yrs. in regards to a work schedule. The past threads also state that licensed engineers are represented by a union called MEBA and the not licensed represented by a union called SIU. Both unions are members of the AFL-CiO. The AFL-CIO; http://www.aflcio.org/About/What-the-AFL-CIO-Does
We work to ensure that all people who work are [B][I][U]treated fairly, with decent paychecks and benefits, safe jobs, respect and equal opportunities.[/U][/I][/B] To help working people acquire valuable skills and job-readiness for 21st century work, we operate the largest training network outside the U.S. military. And we provide an independent voice in politics and legislation for working women and men and make their voices heard in corporate boardrooms and the financial system.
Sounds like the unions have failed , continue to fail. Has anyone ever tried going to these unions so the unions can do what they are there to do ?

I’m fairly certain most of NOAA is not union. It’s a federal job with federal benefits and the BS federal hiring process.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;173946]I’m fairly certain most of NOAA is not union. It’s a federal job with federal benefits and the BS federal hiring process.[/QUOTE]

We are represented by union contracts as described above. We licensed engineers are awaiting the approval and rollout of our latest contract. The contract was supposed to be on the street but has been delayed over legal language. I am a MEBA applicant.

You have the option of joining or not joining, however. The choice is yours.

[QUOTE=catherder;173947]You have the option of joining or not joining, however. The choice is yours.[/QUOTE]

That never made much sense to me. Doesn’t that just weaken or eliminate the union’s bargaining power?

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;173950]That never made much sense to me. Doesn’t that just weaken or eliminate the union’s bargaining power?[/QUOTE]

In the civilian (non gov’t) world, in a right to work state, loss of membership can mean loss of union contract, period. Not sure how that plays here. The unions have limited influence on our quality of life, at any rate. I joined as an applicant because of what I want to do down the road, not because of what I want to do here.

[QUOTE=catherder;173951]In the civilian (non gov’t) world, in a right to work state, loss of membership can mean loss of union contract, period. Not sure how that plays here. The unions have limited influence on our quality of life, at any rate. I joined as an applicant because of what I want to do down the road, not because of what I want to do here.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you have done this before or not but could you give us an idea of what type pay Mates and Engineers make. Being Union, it should be one job one pay so I would not think you could or would get any grief for posting but understand if for whatever reason you would rather not.

[QUOTE=Tugs;173955]Not sure if you have done this before or not but could you give us an idea of what type pay Mates and Engineers make. Being Union, it should be one job one pay so I would not think you could or would get any grief for posting but understand if for whatever reason you would rather not.[/QUOTE]

No worries. The pay scale is available to the public. http://www.wfm.noaa.gov/POAD/15_WageMariners/15_Pay-WageMarine.html

As you can see, as a 3A/E I make a hair under 200 a day. That’s for an eight hour day, then OT kicks in (regardless of whether you hit 40 hrs in the week). On some boats, you get little OT and on others, more than enough.

On this last trip, I did well as we had a group of divers and we did boat ops for them every day. I’m sure you saw my pics on FB. We ran around the Hawaiian islands for two weeks, dropping them off and picking them up.

[QUOTE=catherder;173958]No worries. The pay scale is available to the public. http://www.wfm.noaa.gov/POAD/15_WageMariners/15_Pay-WageMarine.html

As you can see, as a 3A/E I make a hair under 200 a day. That’s for an eight hour day, then OT kicks in (regardless of whether you hit 40 hrs in the week). On some boats, you get little OT and on others, more than enough.

On this last trip, I did well as we had a group of divers and we did boat ops for them every day. I’m sure you saw my pics on FB. We ran around the Hawaiian islands for two weeks, dropping them off and picking them up.[/QUOTE]

Ouch. . . that is about what I was making as CE on an ATB. . . in 1987. . . .

I made over 90K as a 2ae the year I retired. Union or Nonunion… no one pays much attention to that, the SIU and the govt. seem ‘liplocked’ anyway. you’re gone a lot but the retirement plan is good, ports of call great, benifits even better…, surely a better gig that corp of eng. or MSC. Despite all the professional griping it is a enviable job that sets you up for retirement better than most civilian outfits.

I think we would all agree, every place you work union or non-union will have pros and cons. Can any past or present NOAA employee, honestly say they felt the union that represented them fulfilled the union’s contractual obligation?

A friend of mine did a 2nd engineers relief job on one of the NOAA boats and the “regular” engineering crew didn’t even know the sewage treatment plant hadn’t been working for years. My friend said they were the worst bunch of lazy clowns he ever worked with. My buddy had the shit plant up and running before he got off. My buddy sailed chief with MEBA for years after that on tankers, LASH and container ships. I know not all NOAA people are that lazy or stupid.

“When you pay peanuts you get elephants”.

I have noticed they tend to have more free time on their hands then the rest of us…must be nice.

When you work for the government, union representation is something of a joke. If there is a beef, the government wonks will find something in their personnel instruction that allows them to do whatever it is you are beefing about. BTW, the Mates aren’t Mates at NOAA. They are NOAA Corps Officers.

Federal employees are represented by NFFE National Federation of Federal Employees. But they can’t strike.

RE: Mates, etc.
there were a (very) few mates (not noaa) and at least one or two captains (civilian) when I left in '11. As for the Sewage plant not working … , we were at sea so much and had such a huge storage capacity it was seldom a issue. I could believe it not working but I’m sure if it had to work they’d of made it happen and yea, I did kind of forget what work was after working there but it was still the best job I ever had.
Since the inception of the USCGS those guys have had to spend most of the year at sea with no relief and I know a few that still do. So, yea, there is some adjustment to the regular sailors attitude there. The unions do OK, but as I said, I think they and the Govt. are in collusion to some degree but you still get a good deal and btw, pay changes require a act of congress.

[QUOTE=seadog6608;174074]When you work for the government, union representation is something of a joke. If there is a beef, the government wonks will find something in their personnel instruction that allows them to do whatever it is you are beefing about. BTW, the Mates aren’t Mates at NOAA. They are NOAA Corps Officers.[/QUOTE]

There are a couple of mates, in particular on the T-AGOS boats now. Third mates.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=HooliganMariner;174216]Federal employees are represented by NFFE National Federation of Federal Employees. But they can’t strike.[/QUOTE]

We wage mariners are represented by mariner unions. I am a MEBA applicant.

We are also represented by SIU, for unlicensed, MMP for deck officers, and our Electronics Techs under IBEW. ETs are not mariners, but technicians.

You work for ACOA…yet not represented by a mariner union? That’s odd.

Anyway…

Hope that clarifies things for you.

Do they still train the NOAA officers at KP? I remember that they had some rooms on Zero Deck in First Company waaay back in the day.

I’m an army corps mariner and we are represented by NFFE in my district.

Just had a friend complete NOAA Corps OCS and she did it at the Coast Guard Academy. Now an Ensign aboard a NOAA research ship. Great young woman and I wish her the best.

I just did a little research and I called MM&P. Turns out us Corps mariners are represented by MM&P but apparently our district likes to keep us in the dark. I just got the ball rolling for our Mariners to enroll. Thanks!